Grammy awards 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I am offended by the brash, outspoken, egotistical musician," said the fans in a forum dedicated to a band fronted by Bono.

There is a huuuuge difference between what their egos drive them to do. Until he was around 40, Bono devoted his life to art and the occasional good cause. Since then, he's devoted his life to helping the sick and poor while occasionally making music.

Kanye's ego drives him to glorify himself. Nothing else. Sure, he makes music, but does that music exist for any other reason than for him to tell everyone that he's a genius? He thinks he's entitled to work in the fashion industry because...why? Because he's paid his dues as a designer, went to school for it and worked his way up? No, it's because he thinks he's a genius and he's entitled to get whatever he wants. Thing is, he's not a genius. He's a fucking moron. His "rants" are the ravings of a mediocre mind that thinks it's exceptional.

It's disgusting that Kanye acted like he was going to take the mic from Beck. Beck handled it well because he's Beck and enjoys absurdity, but come on! Kanye took that moment and turned it into something about him, and that's sick. And then to say that Beck needs to respect real artistry and give the award to Beyonce...goddamn it. What he's saying is that Beck isn't a real artist! Who says that? Who picks on Beck?? Kanye is a bully, and people celebrate that. I don't get it.

Bono's persona can be annoying but there is no point of comparison between him and West aside from the fact that they have large egos. They way their ego makes them behave could not be more different. Kanye is a bully.

There is a huuuuge difference between what their egos drive them to do. Until he was around 40, Bono devoted his life to art and the occasional good cause. Since then, he's devoted his life to helping the sick and poor while occasionally making music.

Kanye's ego drives him to glorify himself. Nothing else. Sure, he makes music, but does that music exist for any other reason than for him to tell everyone that he's a genius? He thinks he's entitled to work in the fashion industry because...why? Because he's paid his dues as a designer, went to school for it and worked his way up? No, it's because he thinks he's a genius and he's entitled to get whatever he wants. Thing is, he's not a genius. He's a fucking moron. His "rants" are the ravings of a mediocre mind that thinks it's exceptional.

It's disgusting that Kanye acted like he was going to take the mic from Beck. Beck handled it well because he's Beck and enjoys absurdity, but come on! Kanye took that moment and turned it into something about him, and that's sick. And then to say that Beck needs to respect real artistry and give the award to Beyonce...goddamn it. What he's saying is that Beck isn't a real artist! Who says that? Who picks on Beck?? Kanye is a bully, and people celebrate that. I don't get it.

Bono's persona can be annoying but there is no point of comparison between him and West aside from the fact that they have large egos. They way their ego makes them behave could not be more different. Kanye is a bully.

I agree with this, Bono doesn't grandstand people at award ceremonies twice and dicate who should and should not receive an award. To use a phrase from cobl04 if I may........"Word"

Kanye's ego drives him to glorify himself. Nothing else. Sure, he makes music, but does that music exist for any other reason than for him to tell everyone that he's a genius?

Have you ever listened to anything he's done, or are you just going off what one of your buddies who heard a Kanye song once told you?

He thinks he's entitled to work in the fashion industry because...why? Because he's paid his dues as a designer, went to school for it and worked his way up? No, it's because he thinks he's a genius and he's entitled to get whatever he wants. Thing is, he's not a genius. He's a fucking moron. His "rants" are the ravings of a mediocre mind that thinks it's exceptional.

I'm sure you felt the same about being under qualified for something when Bono started meeting with world leaders and discussing international development and global health, right? Or did I miss the part where he spent years researching and doing field work and getting degrees?

And you better bet your ass that many, many people have said the exact same thing about Bono's ranting and raving from the stage over the years.

Glad we've got you around to be the arbiter of who gets to call themselves a "genius" or not.

I don't disagree with this portion of your post, but the first part is right the fuck out to lunch.

"Just as they start to like you, make them un-like you." - Kanye West

happy for beck to have won, even if i think these award shows are a complete joke in the first place.

hopefully kanye west falls apart.

bono doesn't grandstand at awards shows is probably the funniest thing i've ever read on this forum.

ever.

can i say that bono is a twat and kanye's an utter bell end?

i'm not sure why people can't see that they're both completely out to lunch these days. bono took off the fly shades, but forgot that he's not supposed to be the fly without them on.

this is what i don't get. there are entire threads dedicated to figuring out why people hate U2, and specifically why they think bono is such a cunt. and then there's this thread.

i don't even like kanye. but for fucks sake people... the reasons you're giving for disliking kanye are the same as the reasons people dislike bono.

he's brash, he's ego driven, he has a gigantic god complex, he has an undying need to be the center of attention at all times, he speaks of being the best in the world.

their approach may be different, but kanye is rap's version of bono. so the hate here is deliciously ironic.

this is what i don't get. there are entire threads dedicated to figuring out why people hate U2, and specifically why they think bono is such a cunt. and then there's this thread.

i don't even like kanye. but for fucks sake people... the reasons you're giving for disliking kanye are the same as the reasons people dislike bono.

he's brash, he's ego driven, he has a gigantic god complex, he has an undying need to be the center of attention at all times, he speaks of being the best in the world.

their approach may be different, but kanye is rap's version of bono. so the hate here is deliciously ironic.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this in a rather devilish way I must say.

Have you ever listened to anything he's done, or are you just going off what one of your buddies who heard a Kanye song once told you?

I'm sure you felt the same about being under qualified for something when Bono started meeting with world leaders and discussing international development and global health, right? Or did I miss the part where he spent years researching and doing field work and getting degrees?

I don't disagree with this portion of your post, but the first part is right the fuck out to lunch.

"Just as they start to like you, make them un-like you." - Kanye West

Of course I've heard Kanye's music. It's OK. By current hip hop standards it's decent, but he's not exactly playing in the premiership right now. And yes, he thinks he genius musician. Noel Gallagher thinks he's a genius too, but he doesn't think he's a genius, like whatever historical figure's Kanye drops because he just heard it for the first time. He thinks he's a genius in general, regardless of what he does and what his actual skills are. That's why I think everything he does just serves to glorify himself.

I found it odd that Bono was meeting with global leaders. I still do. Thing is, he did educate himself. He surrounded himself with experts. He opened doors for real activists, and has set up organizations. And I never heard him rant and rave when a politician refused to speak to him, acting as though he's entitled to work in the same sphere as them. He did the opposite - he's acknowledged, repeatedly, that his situation is absurd, and that he's learned a lot from those around him. He doesn't take credit for the work that his groups do either. He gives the credit to the group. I doubt Kanye could even be part of a group, unless it's part of the team that makes his music for him. Yeah yeah, he's a producer...along with like 15 others on Yeezus.

But look at how their egos make them behave! Can't you see that their behaviour is completely different?

Bono grandstands at awards shows, but find me an instance where he jumps up on stage and turns the award being given into something about him.

Find me an instance of Bono ranting about how a musician needs to respect art and give their award away or he'll stop coming to awards shows.

Find me an instance of Bono comparing himself to some of the greatest minds that have lived. And then find me one where he goes on at length about it.

Find me an instance where he refers to himself as a genius! Never happened. He thinks his band is great, and gives credit to the band.

Find me an instance of him complaining at length about the injustice of not having an opportunity he wanted, despite not having any qualifications.

Suppose that Bono does have a God complex. At least his has made him sacrifice his art and reputation to make the world a better place. Kanye just wants to make leather track pants.

They're egotistical alpha males, but that's where the similarities end. Basically, Bono seems like a nice person. He doesn't bully people. Kanye is a bully. Bono wants to help the sick and poor (and is successful at that). Kanye wants us to know how great he is.

bono doesn't grandstand at awards shows is probably the funniest thing i've ever read on this forum.

ever.

I haven't watched all the times that U2 have received awards, but I sort of remember that lately when they receive an important award Bono always says nice things about the other nominees first. (But maybe I have selective memory :shifty:)

But look at how their egos make them behave! Can't you see that their behaviour is completely different?

Bono grandstands at awards shows, but find me an instance where he jumps up on stage and turns the award being given into something about him.

Find me an instance of Bono ranting about how a musician needs to respect art and give their award away or he'll stop coming to awards shows.

Find me an instance of Bono comparing himself to some of the greatest minds that have lived. And then find me one where he goes on at length about it.

Find me an instance where he refers to himself as a genius! Never happened. He thinks his band is great, and gives credit to the band.

Find me an instance of him complaining at length about the injustice of not having an opportunity he wanted, despite not having qualifications.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just said "find me an instance where Bono did the EXACT same thing in the same EXACT way as Kanye West, because the concept of relativity and nuance is something foreign to me".

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just said "find me an instance where Bono did the EXACT same thing in the same EXACT way as Kanye West, because the concept of relativity and nuance is something foreign to me".

You're the one who basically thinks "they're both egotists so they're the same." The concept of relativity and nuance is foreign to me, right.

Bono hasn't done anything like the things Kanye does. He doesn't disparage people, he doesn't talk himself up, he doesn't act like he deserves the worship of the world simply because he exists. He does not behave like Kanye West so should not be compared to him. The traits they share are shared by all singers. How's that? Easier to understand for you?

Yeah but at least you can have a drink w/ Bono :up:

I haven't watched all the times that U2 have received awards, but I sort of remember that lately when they receive an important award Bono always says nice things about the other nominees first. (But maybe I have selective memory :shifty:)

Your memory is spot on. He is always very humble and thanks others. Look at the speech when they won album of the year in 2006, more time was spent thanking the other nominees than talking about himself. But I guess others see a parallel between him and Kanye that I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You're the one who basically thinks "they're both egotists so they're the same." The concept of relativity and nuance is foreign to me, right.

Bono hasn't done anything like the things Kanye does. He doesn't disparage people, he doesn't talk himself up, he doesn't act like he deserves the worship of the world simply because he exists. He does not behave like Kanye West so should not be compared to him. The traits they share are shared by all singers. How's that? Easier to understand for you?

My entire point with that post was that demanding examples of situations where Bono did something or acted in the exact same way as Kanye is disingenuous, and a really bad way to make your argument.

Find me an instance of him complaining at length about the injustice of not having an opportunity he wanted, despite not having any qualifications.

Suppose that Bono does have a God complex. At least his has made him sacrifice his art and reputation to make the world a better place. Kanye just wants to make leather track pants.

They're egotistical alpha males, but that's where the similarities end. Basically, Bono seems like a nice person. He doesn't bully people. Kanye is a bully. Bono wants to help the sick and poor (and is successful at that). Kanye wants us to know how great he is.

their approach may be different

Reading is FUNdamental.

The greatest thing Kanye has ever done is to make Hollow Island actually defend U2.

First of all, I have seen you use this cute little line "Reading is FUNdamental" numerous times in other threads. I get that this is you're go-to put down but cool it because that joke isn't funny anymore. The other thing is leave Hollow Island and other U2 fans alone. In case you haven't noticed, this is a U2 fan forum so obviously people will defend U2 in conversation.

Hey guys, if you like Kanye, that's cool but don't start lashing out at others in this community because some of us don't like Yeezus, Mr. West or whatever self indulgent name he is using now.

I believe there is a very nice Bang and Clatter thread where all you fan boys can gush over every move Kanye makes and every breath Kanye takes.

788690128417943844.jpg

I am going to try and bring some positivity to this thread....

I predict that U2 win 5
Grammy Awards next year:

1-Song of the Year-Every Breaking Wave

2-Record of the Year-Every Breaking Wave

3-Best Long Form Video-Every Breaking Wave(I'll go with that movie thing that comes out on Thursday)

4-Best Rock Song- This is Where You Can Reach Me Now

5-Best Short Form Video-TIWYCRMN video

They will perform at the show the song "The Crystal Ballroom"!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom