Grammy awards 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I Am a God is about his challenges to get anywhere in the fashion industry, or at least it was inspired by that struggle.

Wouldn't bother me if Kanye West didn't play The Grammy's for another 6 years but I am sure a lot of people would say the same of U2.

Bono/U2's ego is different then Kanye's but it still rubs people the wrong way.

People are sick of Bono trying to play God, while Kanye is more like a 16 year old child thinking he is invisible.

Overall I thought the Grammy's were quite good this year even with U2 not being there.

I was just going to troll everyone and defend Kanye 100% but there were two posts that actually genuinely annoyed me. Two more from U2girl, but there's no point engaging with someone that thick.

This is incredibly condescending. He is a fucking adult, and you are picking and choosing isolated moments to shit on him. It is not embarrassing that he does what he wants. I think it's refreshing that we have an artist who doesn't pussyfoot around and worry about stepping on people's toes. And a lot of the ridiculous shit he says is borne from real frustrations about people not taking him seriously. If he's angry about something he speaks his mind. Sometimes he says stupid shit but a lot of the time he has a point.

Isolated moment? So that would mean a single moment but there is a history of him acting like a child and having outbursts. Taylor Swift and Beck are just two moments on a national stage where he acted like a fool.

You think it's refreshing to have an artist who doesn't pussyfoot around and worry about stepping on people's toes? So ranting like a fool and taking the mic from a young girl at an awards show to make it about him is a cool thing that you admire?

Your statement that a lot of the ridiculous stuff he says is because people don't take him seriously but people don't take him seriously because of how he acts and his childish outbursts, which have been occurring for years and years.

Lastly, it is embarrassing to do what you want when your antics impact other people. If he wants to act like a fool at his concert, great. However, when you run on stage at an awards show and take the mic from someone, that's embarressing. Then you go up on stage again "as a joke" (clearly wasn't a joke being that he hen shit all over Beck and the academy after the show) and take attention away from the winner, that's embarressing. Then when you are on national TV for a fundraiser for victims of Katrina and you say "George Bush hates Black People", yeah, that's pretty embarressing.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It wasn't essentially auto tuned it was auto tuned. It's an effect. I am in no mood to defend Yeezy right now but I can't believe in the year 2015 people are still commenting on using auto tune as an effect as though he was actually trying to use it to correct his singing.

It was used as both an effect and to correct his voice. Those two uses don't have to be mutually exclusive. He's not much of a singer w/out effects and processing.

Sent from my fingertips.

It was used as both an effect and to correct his voice. Those two uses don't have to be mutually exclusive. He's not much of a singer w/out effects and processing.

Sent from my fingertips.

Since it made his voice sound horrible, I'm going to have to disagree.

It was not used to correct his voice. You clearly have no idea about Kanye so just stop. He has been using autotune as an effect for for years.

Isolated moment? So that would mean a single moment but there is a history of him acting like a child and having outbursts. Taylor Swift and Beck are just two moments on a national stage where he acted like a fool.

You think it's refreshing to have an artist who doesn't pussyfoot around and worry about stepping on people's toes? So ranting like a fool and taking the mic from a young girl at an awards show to make it about him is a cool thing that you admire?

Your statement that a lot of the ridiculous stuff he says is because people don't take him seriously but people don't take him seriously because of how he acts and his childish outbursts, which have been occurring for years and years.

Lastly, it is embarrassing to do what you want when your antics impact other people. If he wants to act like a fool at his concert, great. However, when you run on stage at an awards show and take the mic from someone, that's embarressing. Then you go up on stage again "as a joke" (clearly wasn't a joke being that he hen shit all over Beck and the academy after the show) and take attention away from the winner, that's embarressing. Then when you are on national TV for a fundraiser for victims of Katrina and you say "George Bush hates Black People", yeah, that's pretty embarressing.

I said isolated momentS. Please read my posts properly.

Two incidents. One was years ago, people, including the two involved, have moved on. As I said, Kanye has directly referenced the Swift incident in his own music and has also taken the piss out of himself with regards to it. Get over it.

The Beck one, as I've said to bono212, it was great up until the interview afterwards, which I am not defending. I still think he has a good point to make about black art being marginalised, but he picked a terrible time to do so and it sucked for Beck.

you can't spell the word embarrassing.

And Kanye was hardly alone in thinking that George Bush's repsonse to Hurricane Katrina was extremely lacking.

He sang without autotune like an hour later. On Runaway, one of his biggest songs, he sings without autotune. It's an artistic choice, not an insecurity thing.

Ah, forget it.

It was not used to correct his voice. You clearly have no idea about Kanye so just stop. He has been using autotune as an effect for for years.

I said isolated momentS. Please read my posts properly.

Two incidents. One was years ago, people, including the two involved, have moved on. As I said, Kanye has directly referenced the Swift incident in his own music and has also taken the piss out of himself with regards to it. Get over it.

The Beck one, as I've said to bono212, it was great up until the interview afterwards, which I am not defending. I still think he has a good point to make about black art being marginalised, but he picked a terrible time to do so and it sucked for Beck.

you can't spell the word embarrassing.

And Kanye was hardly alone in thinking that George Bush's repsonse to Hurricane Katrina was extremely lacking.

Isolated momentS would imply that they are not isolated as there are multiple moments.

Kanye referenced the Taylor Swift incident in his music? great! Still happened. (Didn't know you can reference dumb things you did in life in your songs and it means all is forgiven and forgotten).

I misspelled the word embarrassing while typing on my iPad on a U2 forum at 1 in the morning...oh well.

I didn't write that Kanye said George Bush's response was "extremely lacking", he said George Bush hates black people, please read my posts properly before commenting.

I've been listening to rap and hip hop since '84, Kanye included. I'm well versed in the production techniques of the genre.

He uses is for an effect, and he uses it to correct his voice when he sings. He's not much of a singer, and without effects, autotune, and processing, his singing is not that interesting. He knows this, it's not a big deal. That's what he does as an artist and a producer of his own work to get the sound and feel he wants out of his music. His own voice is just the first ingredient in a larger soup of production to make his music. There's nothing wrong with that - that's his art. Along with sampling, it's what makes hip hop a wonderful work of collage, and Kanye West does it very well. But if you honestly think autotune is in his repertoire *just* as an effect for when he sings, you're fooling yourself. It serves more than one purpose. .]

Sent from my fingertips.

Kanye West is selling an image just like any other musician - his image is of a spoiled rotten brat and it really seems to be working thus far. I don't hear any of the genius musicianship some critics rave about but to each their own.

Bush doesn't care about black people was another moment that happened long before Taylor Swift, if some people find this to be acceptable behavior it shows how far society has absolved itself to morals and values. In my world putting down other people without just cause or for no reason is wrong and it will always be wrong.

He sang without autotune like an hour later. On Runaway, one of his biggest songs, he sings without autotune. It's an artistic choice, not an insecurity thing.

Ah, forget it.

Are you kidding me? LM you're disappointing me lately.

If anyone thinks Kanye can sing in key without autotune doesn't know how autotune works.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Kanye West is selling an image just like any other musician - his image is of a spoiled rotten brat and it really seems to be working thus far. I don't hear any of the genius musicianship some critics rave about but to each their own.

Bush doesn't care about black people was another moment that happened long before Taylor Swift, if some people find this to be acceptable behavior it shows how far society has absolved itself to morals and values. In my world putting down other people without just cause or for no reason is wrong and it will always be wrong.

Well said.

Also, I stand corrected...he didn't say "George Bush Hates black people" he said, he doesn't care about them but the statement is still a ridiculous one to make during a fundraiser. I must have incorrectly remembered that event....but I do recall the time I was on a helicopter and was flying in to cover the Invasion of Iraq and we were hit by an RP......oh, wait.

There's plenty of other artists who can't sing and don't use autotune. Why Attack Kanye?

He's also sung without it, both live and on record.

And yes, he uses it as an artistic choice and has been for ages. 808s and Heartbreak. He didn't use autotune so liberally on most of the tracks just because he's not a great singer. It's an artistic choice.

I'm done tho.

Are you kidding me? LM you're disappointing me lately.

If anyone thinks Kanye can sing in key without autotune doesn't know how autotune works.

I never once said he was a great singer without autotune. I'm saying that he cares little enough about his weaknesses as a singer to go without it quite frequently. Sometimes it uses it, sometimes not. Depends on the song.

But yeah, sure, he only uses autotune because he knows he's the worst singer alive. That must be it.

I never once said he was a great singer without autotune. I'm saying that he cares little enough about his weaknesses as a singer to go without it quite frequently. Sometimes it uses it, sometimes not. Depends on the song.

But yeah, sure, he only uses autotune because he knows he's the worst singer alive. That must be it.

Don't go all it has to be one reason or nothing, you're smarter than that.

To pretend it's purely "artistic" reasons is someone who's fallen for Kanye's own hype. The man could not sing like he did last night or a song like Heartless live without autotune. Let's look at how autotune works, you have to set the program to the key of the song, when you are off key the program will manipulate your voice to THAT key. Now if you are slightly off you can bury a bad note without anyone knowing. The further you are off the more obvious the manipulation is, once the voice starts to sound robotic, think Kid Rock or Heartless means you are far off from the key. Now if you could actually sing and were using it purely for artistic reasons the robotic effect would be consistent throughout the performance, it wouldn't vary. With Kanye's performance it's a constant warbling effect. Without autotune his singing performance would sound like a Biz Markee performance. Do not kid yourself that it's not about voice correction.

There are better ways to add effects to ones voice without autotune if you didn't want the correction. I don't understand getting upset over it.

Don't go all it has to be one reason or nothing, you're smarter than that.

To pretend it's purely "artistic" reasons is someone who's fallen for Kanye's own hype. The man could not sing like he did last night or a song like Heartless live without autotune. Let's look at how autotune works, you have to set the program to the key of the song, when you are off key the program will manipulate your voice to THAT key. Now if you are slightly off you can bury a bad note without anyone knowing. The further you are off the more obvious the manipulation is, once the voice starts to sound robotic, think Kid Rock or Heartless means you are far off from the key. Now if you could actually sing and were using it purely for artistic reasons the robotic effect would be consistent throughout the performance, it wouldn't vary. With Kanye's performance it's a constant warbling effect. Without autotune his singing performance would sound like a Biz Markee performance. Do not kid yourself that it's not about voice correction.

There are better ways to add effects to ones voice without autotune if you didn't want the correction. I don't understand getting upset over it.

I'm fully aware of how autotune works and what its benefits are. None of your explanation answers why Kanye so often goes without it (I could type out a long list of originals and features but don't care to). Are those tracks vocally simpler? Does he not feel the robotic tone adds to the track?

Forgive me if I sound as if I'm stubbornly adhering to an either/or here. Just trying to play devil's advocate and supply an explanation beyond "he can't sing" for using autotune. Especially coming from a guy who has used it as an instrument in the past (Runaway, Blood on the Leaves).

Last edited:
Question: Why does Kanye refer to himself as Yeezus? This seems a little delusional to dress up as Jesus. It's a calculated move for attention vs actual artistic merit.
Of course why stop there, hey I'll just say "I Am God" :doh:

kanye_west___yeezus_by_ifadefresh-d65ucvg.png

Kanye-Yeezus-crown-of-thorns.jpg

I've been listening to rap and hip hop since '84, Kanye included. I'm well versed in the production techniques of the genre.

He uses is for an effect, and he uses it to correct his voice when he sings. He's not much of a singer, and without effects, autotune, and processing, his singing is not that interesting. He knows this, it's not a big deal. That's what he does as an artist and a producer of his own work to get the sound and feel he wants out of his music. His own voice is just the first ingredient in a larger soup of production to make his music. There's nothing wrong with that - that's his art. Along with sampling, it's what makes hip hop a wonderful work of collage, and Kanye West does it very well. But if you honestly think autotune is in his repertoire *just* as an effect for when he sings, you're fooling yourself. It serves more than one purpose. .]

Sent from my fingertips.

This.

Almost every artist uses some level of pitch correction, including Kanye and to an extent that is barely perceptible. "auto-tune" doesn't necessarily mean at T-pain levels. That's the extreme, used for effect.

I'm actually surprised at some of the arguments here. Thought people understood this stuff better. :shrug:

With regards to his behaviour, why can't people just man up and acknowledge when their heroes act like total fucking douchebags? I completely agreed with Kanye when he said GW didn't care about black people in New Orleans, loved his forthrightness in stating it when and where he did, and I couldn't possibly care less about Beck never been a fan, but yes in actual fact Kanye acted like a total fucking douchebag after the Grammy's. Again. About a goddamn music award. Lol

Sent from my ass crack

Am I the only one amused by the adorable sudden fanboyness of cobbler where he defends Yeezus with all he got?

Nobody sees the irony with the way people view PLEBA here?

No obvious parallels in behaviour and rabid defending?

Really nobody?

Fine, I'll show myself out. :shifty:

I'm fully aware of how autotune works and what its benefits are. None of your explanation answers why Kanye so often goes without it (I could type out a long list of originals and features but don't care to). Are those tracks vocally simpler? Does he not feel the robotic tone adds to the track?

Forgive me if I sound as if I'm stubbornly adhering to an either/or here. Just trying to play devil's advocate and supply an explanation beyond "he can't sing" for using autotune. Especially coming from a guy who has used it as an instrument in the past (Runaway, Blood on the Leaves).

Numerous studies have shown that pitch well above anything else is what people want in singing, people will turn off or dismiss a song if the singer is repeatedly off pitch regardless of their tone or any other attribute. Kanye wants the songs to be taken seriously and given the fluctuation in his autotune effects he could not sing a song like heartless in key, period. So without autotune the song would be ignored or considered a mockery, ie biz. He needs the correction in a song like that. And there's no judgement in that statement, just don't tell me he doesn't use it for correction.

On a day in which everyone should be talking about Beck and his music (rightfully so, for once, I'm not a big fan beyond his main hits but the guy has been paying his dues consistently for decades by all accounts and deserves some recognition), we're all talking about Kanye West.

So fucking what, here's a video of transportation before cars existed:
http://youtu.be/uTNZ_nv87cs

It made getting around a lot more difficult, and nobody suggests the world is worse off because we invented the car (pollution debate notwithstanding). But for whatever reason singers using auto-tune as an effect (or even to help them stay on pitch more easily - oh the humanity) apparently means the end of human culture as we know it :shrug:

The President of the United States was handling a crisis so badly that (mainly, black) people were dying left right and centre, an entire city was destroyed and the recovery was being deliberately slow-walked, obvious racism was everywhere in the media at all times, and the focus from officials was on photo ops and "feel-good TV moments", but yeah, Kanye saying that was the real keystone of moral decay amongst society.

Jesus fuck, some days this place gets so stupid it's hard to tell it apart from reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom