Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earl-Of-IMDb

War Child
I'm very much loving the song since i first listen to it no more than 2 weeks ago (i know the song has been around for a while, but never got around to it). it's soothing. beautiful.

Any other fans of this song?

I'm very much loving the song since i first listen to it no more than 2 weeks ago (i know the song has been around for a while, but never got around to it). it's soothing. beautiful.

Any other fans of this song?

I know opinions vary widely on this forum, but I've always loved this song. It's one of the (many) highlights of ATYCLB. As you said, it's very soothing.
:love:

Grace is one of the best songs on ATYCLB. Such a soothing way to wrap up the album. Why it's almost universally hated while such pompous dreck like COBL is worshipped i will never understand.

I never understood the hate for "Grace". It may not be U2's best effort, but it's simple, soothing, yet very atmospheric and subtle... like its title. I like it a lot.

This is the only U2 recording that's not on my ipod. I haven't played the track since I transferred my CDs to PC back on '03. I don't even remember how it goes, but I remember hating the song.

[But I do like Wild Honey which seems to also have a lot of haters.]

This is the only U2 recording that's not on my ipod. I haven't played the track since I transferred my CDs to PC back on '03. I don't even remember how it goes, but I remember hating the song.

[But I do like Wild Honey which seems to also have a lot of haters.]

Oh come on! Surely New York is much worse!!!! :O

I wonder whether those who hate on Grace haven't heard it with high quality headphones.

It's Eno/Lanois at their best.

I wonder whether those who hate on Grace haven't heard it with high quality headphones.

It's Eno/Lanois at their best.

Yeah, but it's kind of missing U2.

I honestly don't dislike the song, truth be told. I think there are far worse songs on Attyclub (I'm looking at you, New York and Wild Honey). But it's just kind of... there. TGBHF or Walk On should have been the album's real closer.

I like the concept better than the execution lyrically, it could have been so much more, but I do like the music a lot. However yeah, TGBHF closing that album would have ratcheted up its classic status. That and replace WH with Levitate.

I didn't like it for the longest time, til one day I was driving over a causeway windows down on a sunny, cloudy day and it clicked.

Grace -> One Step Closer -> White As Snow = U2's most sterling efforts at slow-paced, atmospheric music, possibly ever.

I never understood the hate for "Grace". It may not be U2's best effort, but it's simple, soothing, yet very atmospheric and subtle... like its title. I like it a lot.

I agree, and coupled with TGBHF they combine to make a perfect closer for ATYCLB. All hate should be reserved for yahweh.

Grace -> One Step Closer -> White As Snow = U2's most sterling efforts at slow-paced, atmospheric music, possibly ever.

I feel White as snow (and possibly even more so Cedars of Lebanon) is everything U2's slow song on the first two 00's albums tried. Atmosphere, slow but not dull-slow, good execution lyrically.

Grace is hurt by the weak vocal and lyrics. And it just doesn't work as a closer.

Grace is hurt by the weak vocal and lyrics. And it just doesn't work as a closer.

:huh:
Doesn't work as a closer? I think it's a perfect closing track! Soothingly beautiful and it gives some comfort after having just heard an album dealing with mortality.
I do think that Grace has one weak lyric line "Grace, it's the name of a girl. It's also a thought that changed the world.", but I also disagree with it having a weak vocal. It's fine.

Levitate would be a much better ending for an album about joy.

Had he sung it in the way he sings at the end ("she carries the world on her hips..." and onwards) it would have been better. It's too slow.

Nice instrumental though.

i really don't get the hate for a lot of ATYCLB songs. sure, Wild Honey and POE are a little weak, but i've always enjoyed New York and Grace.

I think Grace is a beautiful song. A little too long perhaps considering not much changes during the song, but still very underappreciated IMO. A very good closer.

Agreed, I love all those songs. Even when U2 goes mainstream (HTDAAB to be specific) they still find the space to add that beautiful, slow-paced and atmospheric song they still have the talent to make.

I do think that Grace has one weak lyric line "Grace, it's the name of a girl. It's also a thought that changed the world.

I agree with your larger point, but personally I think that's a fine line. I quite enjoy the in-yer-face Bono pop-art rhymes.

Mind you, I also like the "intellectual tortoise" line.

"Grace" is certainly a beautiful song with a lovely melody and a great vocal (with, fortunately, some restraint by Bono). I like it a lot.

i really don't get the hate for a lot of ATYCLB songs. sure, Wild Honey and POE are a little weak, but i've always enjoyed New York and Grace.

I like New York a lot. I also like Grace well enough, and Wild Honey well enough. And Peace on Earth well enough actually. Come to think of it, All That you Cant Leave behind has aged really, really well. Anyway, I think the music in New York is awesome. Lyrics are alright, I think it works better if you live in or around new york or have been exposed a lot to NY (me living 90 minutes away from NYC helps.)

Anyway, about Grace, I think it's a pretty good song for what it is. It's not bombastic, it's subtle. Maybe a bit too subtle if anything, but I'd rather have that than have something trying way too hard to be obvious.

Is this a playlist, or an inequality? If it's a 'greater than' kind of thing, I like all 3, but I'd have to reverse it completely.

Back
Top Bottom