Good song to perform on guitar for funeral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoschild2009

War Child
The armpit of the United States: Tucson, AZ
Hello all...My mother-in-law died today after having been diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer only two weeks ago. My wife wants to sing a song at her memorial with me playing guitar, but I'm looking for suggestions...My guitar repertoire mainly consists of U2, but I'm not sure what to play. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Justin

MLK would be an obvious choice, but on guitar that'd be quite tough. Could work with a Synth.

Otherwise Kite on acoustic would be a nice substitute. OTH wouldn't really work that way.

:hug: Sorry for your loss.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. :hug:

I think that One would be a natural option, but Kite would be absolutely beautiful.

That is really sad, im sorry :hug:

I have a situation in my life atm that regrettably has me planning for a similar situation. I always envisioned playing Kite and seguing into Exitlude by the Killers (would work with key etc...)

Exitlude Chords by Killers @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

It has such a beautiful sentiment, basically that even though it is the end and we have to let go, we can cherish the good memories, while we can let any problems melt away.

Aggressively, we all defend the role we play
Regrettably, the times come to send you on your way
We've seen it all bonfires of trust, flashfloods of pain
It doesn't really matter don't you worry it will all work out
No it doesn't ever matter don't you worry that ain't what it's all about
We hope you enjoyed your stay
It's good to have you with us, even if it's just for the day
We hope you enjoyed your stay
Outside the sun is shinin' seems like heaven ain't far away
It's good to have you with us
Even if it's just for the day

So sorry for your loss :(

I would like to suggest "Grace" from All that you can´t leave behind album.
If played in acoustic very mellow-like, I think it would be nice

Sorry for your loss. What about 'Walk On'? It was lovely as an acoustic song, and I always find the "All that you've fashioned, all that you've made..." coda very moving.

sorry to hear that :sad: I would say Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own would be good, although its somewhat difficult to sing I think..

Sorry to hear the sad news.

I agree with Kite being a great song for occasions like this.

'In a Little While' also works well, and is a song I've played before when mourning a loved one. It was the last song Joey Ramone requested before he died, so there's a little history behind it as well.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my grandmother (the only grandparent I ever knew), and I had to plan the music too, so I know a bit how you're feeling. :hug::hug:

I agree that Kite or SYCMIOYO might be most appropriate for losing someone, but personally I would say that IALW, Grace, or MLK would be much more healing songs for the time. I'm sure any of those would be beautiful.

Our prayers are with your family bonoschild :hug:

I'd pick 'Kite' for sure, its one of the songs I'd want at my own funeral.

I just heard a very beautiful version of Stay on you tube. It was a slightly different version (not live), very simple and appropriate for this type of situation. It was a video made by u2spain.es
I will try to post a link.

That Stay remix is beautiful... but Bono sounds more like 2001 Bono than 1993 Bono... did he record his vocals for that mix in 2001?

Yes, Bono re-recorded the vocals in 2001, with The Edge. It was released and recorded in the middle of the Elevation tour. I think it was on a Craig Armstrong album, if I'm not mistaken.

And as for a song to sing, acoustically, for a funeral, look no further than Bono, who sang "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" with The Edge at his father's funeral in 2001.

And if you're looking for something non-U2, Bruce Springsteen has a song called "The Last Carnival" that closes out his latest album, and it's one of the most beautiful songs i've heard. Tears me up.

Back
Top Bottom