Good for the soul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna roll with you possibly being sincere here and not actually knowing...but then what's your excuse for not actually listening to the song before posting? I mean its not a one or two line "well tonite thank god it's them instead of you"...he pretty much stars in the song, all the way through..so what gives?

I mean, I don't think I've ever posted anything non-U2 related in EYKIW, have I?

Wow. So this qualify as good Soul Music. Things are making alot more sense now...

New Day - the Bono & Wyclef Jean 'song' - is not number 1 anymore. This clearly takes the first prize.

well that was bog awful gvox - i'm sure i wasn't meant to laugh??! :ohmy:

Wow. So this qualify as good Soul Music. Things are making alot more sense now...

Your kind wouldn't know soul, that's for sure. :lol:

At any rate, noone said this was traditional soul. It's technically more gospel than anything I suppose. I said it was played on a soul station here. The also played Foreigner's "I Wanna Know What Love Is" a bit later in the afternoon. That doesn't make Foreigner "soul", either.

Maybe you can order yourself a reading and comprehension CD to complement your growing library :)

well that was bog awful gvox - i'm sure i wasn't meant to laugh??! :ohmy:

You know what? The video is arguably "cheesy" or whatever. But I wasn't watching the video, I was listening to it on the radio. And in that context, on a quiet holiday afternoon sandwiched between some Gladys Knight prior and Ce Ce Winans after, it was nice to hear Bono doing something soulful in the middle of all that.

What the fuck does this have to do with U2?

Ha!

Trololol_by_andressiller.jpg

That was one of the worst songs Ive heard in a long while, "butter singers" all the long way. Sounds like those hyper-christian music... Micheal Bolton would have been perfect to also have in this song...

Yes the music in that song is perfect fit for "butter singers" like Michael Bolton, Barry Manilow...
I always got the impression of that you Gvox have realy good taste in music, but first MJB and now this? I realy hope that you arent in a depression :wink:
Whats next, Starship "W Built This City"?:angry:

Yes the music in that song is perfect fit for "butter singers" like Michael Bolton, Barry Manilow...
I always got the impression of that you Gvox have realy good taste in music, but first MJB and now this? I realy hope that you arent in a depression :wink:
Whats next, Starship "W Built This City"?:angry:

I'm not in a depression you are just hopelessly limited in your own tastes. In varying degrees, I enjoy music from just about every genre outside of screamo/death metal, and given a reminder id probably recall at least one song from each of the artists that you mentioned that I could appreciate on its own merits. In the case of Bolton, probably several songs (and the ensuing reggae covers of his stuff by Sanchez in particular, which I quite like)

As for what you perhaps offensively (not to me, I'm not religious in the slightest) call "hyper Christian music", its known as modern gospel. And religious or not, some of it I actually do find to be uplifiting/good for the soul.

As for what you perhaps offensively (not to me, I'm not religious in the slightest) call "hyper Christian music", its known as modern gospel. And religious or not, some of it I actually do find to be uplifiting/good for the soul.

No I dont mean gospel music, "hyper christian music" is a totaly different thing. And what is offensive with that? It is just like saying "hyper rock music" or "hyper swedish music".

And what do you mean by "soul", actually there no thing such as a soul. If you are an atheist you must mean "brain"?

No I dont mean gospel music, "hyper christian music" is a totaly different thing.

Is this another of your made-up musical terms? Which artists participate in "hyper christian music"?

Because Kirk Franklin and The Family are artists in the American Gospel genre. Kirk Franklin wrote and produced this adaptation of "Lean On Me".

As a matter of fact, this song was the lead-off single of an album that would go on to win Franklin a Grammy for Best Contemporary Gospel album. He has won 9 such Grammy awards and countless others for his gospel music, including this past year, 2 Grammy's for Best Gospel Song and Best Gospel Album.

So..you were saying?

Dude what are you saying here? :huh:

First, there's nothing "hyper" about this song at all.

Secondly, is it gospel? I dunno, not in the sense I'm used to anyways. I think they call this "worship" rock or something..but it's about as far away different from the gospel song Bono participated in as is humanly possible, really. But even so...what's wrong with it? If Bono did a duet with this guy, so what?

Let's get back to what you originally said. You said that the Grammy award winning gospel artist Kirk Franklin's "Lean On Me" feat The Family, Mary J Blige and Bono sounded like "hyper-christian music". I interpreted that to mean that you think that gospel music is "hyper-christian music". No, you say, you don't mean to slag gospel, you mean to say that this most recent song you've provided is an example of what you were criticizing Franklin's song for.

Dude what are you saying here? :huh:

First, there's nothing "hyper" about this song at all.

Secondly, is it gospel? I dunno, not in the sense I'm used to anyways. I think they call this "worship" rock or something..but it's about as far away different from the gospel song Bono participated in as is humanly possible, really. But even so...what's wrong with it? If Bono did a duet with this guy, so what?

Let's get back to what you originally said. You said that the Grammy award winning gospel artist Kirk Franklin's "Lean On Me" feat The Family, Mary J Blige and Bono sounded like "hyper-christian music". I interpreted that to mean that you think that gospel music is "hyper-christian music". No, you say, you don't mean to slag gospel, you mean to say that this most recent song you've provided is an example of what you were criticizing Franklin's song for.

The whole song of the video got this "praise you got we love you", this squeaky praise voicesong.
For an person in Sweden(im from there)it is "hyper christian", Sweden is one of the most secular countrys in the world. There are almost no relgion at all in our society. So standing up on stage an doing "praise the lord" with closed eyes is kind of a strange thing in a secular view. BeLIEving in god is the same thing as beliveing in santa claus to us.

And yes the song that Bono was in was very saucy, it sound like those "praise the lord" songs... I dont care if they got an grammy or not-

The whole song of the video got this "praise you got we love you", this squeaky praise voicesong.
For an person in Sweden(im from there)it is "hyper christian", Sweden is one of the most secular countrys in the world. There are almost no relgion at all in our society. So standing up on stage an doing "praise the lord" with closed eyes is kind of a strange thing in a secular view. BeLIEving in god is the same thing as beliveing in santa claus to us.

And yes the song that Bono was in was very saucy, it sound like those "praise the lord" songs... I dont care if they got an grammy or not-

Ok, so now you're back around to equating gospel with "hyper Christian" and "squeaky praise voicesong". At least your being honest. You dislike (hate, even?) gospel music - maybe even soul music period - and can't stand it when Bono consorts with such artists.

Well that's great and all, except as you are probably aware, Bono is a believer. And he appears to like at least some gospel and soul. :shrug:

I find a great deal of the outright "praise The Lord" music a tad overbearing myself. This song is a bit of a different message tho..it's more of a "I'm your brother lean on me" message - indeed, in line with the Bill Withers original upon which it is based - seen thru the lens of spirituality, and it doesn't really have the heavy "Jesus Jesus Jesus" thing going on. Which is probably why I like it alot, well that and because it features some of my favorite singers of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom