Gone Vs. Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
Gone is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I know it is well respected around Interference.

I was wondering which version of the song you prefer and why: The album version of Gone or the New mix that appeared on the Best of album?

I personally cant decide because I love them both but I was wondering what fellow U2 fans feel is a better version...

This is a tough one for me. I will go ahed an guess that a majority of Interference will say the album version but somehow I find myself enjoying the New Mix a little more. Funny this thread should pop up (pun not intended). Somewhat irrelevant to this thread, I listened to Pop on the way to school today and I think it is very complete. It grows on me with every listen. But back to your question I think the New Mix has some interesting touch ups. Like the outro and it seems like they really completed it. I may be in the minority though. Its still a tough choice on a brilliant song.

The Best Of version is the first one I heard, so I'm sure that plays into my feeling like that one is best, but I really do think it's musically much tighter and well thought out. Plenty of people make the point that Bono's vocals are infinitely better on the Pop version, but I've listened to both versions for years now and I think the Best of even has better vocals.

I like them both, and people have made light on here that the Pop version has little nuances musically that aren't on the Best of version (and I agree with that). But as I do prefer the live version, and the Best of version is more in tune with the improvements made on that one, I vote for the Best of version.

Live, which I suppose means I prefer the Best Of version by default. I could live without the new vocal, but the arrangement is superior.

Regardless, it shouldn't have been on a compilation that unaware casual listeners are likely being introduced to U2 with. In the case of the actual Pop singles, I would want the version that I've likely heard on the radio.

New Mix. I REALLY miss the guitar in the album version, and Edge's backing vocals. Live blows both out of the water, but the new mix comes closest to it.

Regardless, it shouldn't have been on a compilation that unaware casual listeners are likely being introduced to U2 with. In the case of the actual Pop singles, I would want the version that I've likely heard on the radio.

That did make some people, including me, stop and think at the time. I think someone in the band said it was tough choosing which songs to go on, and I guess they just wanted to throw a few live favorites on there too. Wasn't it Edge that said it was a decision between putting Gone and WGRYWH on the Best of? Makes you wonder, especially since Wild Horses certainly got more radio play (a ton, actually).

Yet again, maybe they didn't want too many Achtung tracks to take up space either?

Either works!!!!

Good Lord, play this song live again! It's one of their all-time best!

Amen!

They're both great.

NOW PLAY THE DAMN SONG DURING THE ENCORE GUYS

SERIOUSLY THE SYMBOLISM IS PUNCHING YOU IN THE FACE

I like both - but the New Mix has much more guitar + Edge's back vocals, plus the outro is just spectacular. The POP version is a little more haunting. The live version beats both, but it's a draw for me.

Gone is one of my favorite U2 songs, and I know it is well respected around Interference.

I was wondering which version of the song you prefer and why: The album version of Gone or the New mix that appeared on the Best of album?

I personally cant decide because I love them both but I was wondering what fellow U2 fans feel is a better version...

After a while of including the New Mix (which was actually new at the time) in place of the original version on my iPod, I went back to the original - which is now in my top 5 played tracks.

It feels more tense and vital to me - and it has Bono's (?) beautiful piano melody in there which brings out a whole different feel to the song. The only thing that I miss in that version is The Edge's backing vocals, but I can manage without it since pretty much the rest of the take is superior.

judging by the fact that i always keep looking for a sign that says "mixed" behind my Gone files, i vote for the mixed version!!! it just gives me the goosebumps, though Pop-version is almost as good! let's just say that this is an overall awesome song!

Hmmmm. I like the Pop version for the atmosphere but I remember thinking the Popmart version sounded better. Especially when I heard the Mexico City one. So I guess live. But if I have to choose a studio one, the Pop version.

Pop version is too flat sounding. Also don't get the nice chord progression in the verse that you get live and on the new mix.

New mix is quality

Hmmmm. I like the Pop version for the atmosphere but I remember thinking the Popmart version sounded better. Especially when I heard the Mexico City one. So I guess live. But if I have to choose a studio one, the Pop version.

That is kinda strange though, given the new mix is made to basically bring the live version into the studio... The differences between the Pop version and the live version are all present in the new mix

The New Mix does it for me.

The Pop version of Gone is good, but when you put it next to the new version it has kind of a stumbly, clumsy feel to it (especially in the breakdown with the processed drums). Just feels sluggish.

I think the New Mix basically paired down the song to the components that made it work the best, as the live version did.

Pop version is too flat sounding. Also don't get the nice chord progression in the verse that you get live and on the new mix.

New mix is quality

This!

I always thought the studio version of Gone was very emblematic of U2's admittedly not so great studio/production work on Pop.

I actually posted about this not too long ago in another thread:

**Very long winded rant by yours truly**

I think with a few notable exceptions on other albums (Pride being the most often mentioned), U2 are better live than studio. Still, even as someone who firmly believes this, I still say the gap is reasonably small and I greatly enjoy the studio versions on most albums. On Pop, however, I think the studio-live gap is the largest by far.

And different. I think gaps with other albums say very little if anything about U2's work in the studio and everything about how great of a live band they are. Pop is the only album where the gap speaks as much to their lacking in the studio as it does to their abilities as a live band.

I hate to ramble, but I guess I'd say most of their songs, as a general rule, go from excellent in studio to transcendent/in another world live, while Pop songs as a general rule go from "good but clearly need work" to transcendent/in another world live!

Bono's vocal is indeed haunting and passionate on the studio version of Gone. I think Gone is one of U2's best songs, for sure. But I still strongly dislike how after the "Goodbye....." start to the chorus, the Edge just starts doing some bell effect or maybe piano?? The energy builds up, both lyrically and musically, throughout the verses, then when the chorus comes, your expecting an explosion, a climax, then a come down and build up in tension again. Instead, to me anyway, it fizzles out with whatever that sound is.

(0:46-47 and 1:46-47 here is what I am talking about)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW1B117tbEc

What is this?

I just have never liked it and thought it deflated things at the wrong time.

(In the same parts, at almost the same count as the studio version conveniently)

YouTube - U2 - Gone live from Boston

Here, Edge keeps that powerful riff going and even kicks it up a notch throughout the "goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights, I'll be up with the sun....." chorus.

It's noticeable here, but especially noticeable in the PopMart versions, which kicked all kinds of ass

It actually hits on my main issue with the entire album. I heard some great, new rhythms from Larry and especially Adam and great use of different effects and especially power chords by Edge. I think they should have gone with this raw, power chord heavy sound for more of the album. I quite enjoy Miami and Playboy Mansion, but for most people, it contributes to their negative perception of the album. For this reason, and for coherence, I would have made both b-sides or bonus tracks or what have you and brought in Holy Joe(K-Mart style) and Hold Me....Kill Me to replace them.

Ok after reading through this and listening to both versions again I have finally made up my mind:

New Mix Wins! (for me).

I do not think the original version is really any more "atmospheric", I actually find the new version (especially at the ending) to really soar more as a song. The build off pays off and the whole thing just seems more forceful and emotive. Also I love the chorus of the New mix/ live version. While I do miss the screeching guitars of the original, the new mix just has a feel to it that I really love.

Its got to be the pop version. How could you get rid of the drum loop? Its one of the best parts of the song.

Pop version by a mile. I do love the way they play it live, but those changes that carried to the New Mix just don't seem to do the same job, don't take it anywhere better - or even anywhere near as good. It's just devoid of any feeling. Pop version is a good mix of haunting, painful and fuck you. New version is like he's only mildly put out.

Back
Top Bottom