Glastonbury TV Coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we might see BB come on to the stage with U2 that would be sooo bad ass!!!

Other way around. That BB King broadcast isn't 'live' live. He's actually on at about 3.30-4pm. U2 aren't on till 10pm. He's a 150 years old, or something. I don't think he'll be hanging around till late in the night at a festival site in the middle of nowhere just to join them for one song. I think Bono and Edge will join his set in the afternoon, if anything.

So I e-mailed Glastonbury about USA coverage and here is the response:

We do a highlights programme (5 hours) which will include some U2 with VH1

So if you want to see it live and U2's entire set we'll have to find the streams. So if we use the Expat Shield then we can watch on BBC's channel websites? They stream live whatever they're airing on TV?

On past experience of BBC's Glastonbury coverage they usually don't show the whole set live of the main act. They spend a lot of time sat around talking shit in a stupid tent while the main group on the pyramid stage is playing. I am also worried that U2 are playing Friday night instead of the Saturday or Sunday slot as the Friday slot is not as well covered either in past years. I hope I am wrong but I doubt the BBC will show the whole of U2's set as it happens.

BBC coverage was announced today. U2 LIVE from 9.45pm on the Friday night (U2 due on stage at 10pm...ish) on BBC2 and iPlayer. Given the timeframe, looks like it will definitely be the whole thing.

Like I said above I doubt we'll get the whole set on BBC2 or on any of the streams. I hope I am wrong but past experiences suggest differently.

Just found this -
U2 at Glastonbury 2011 on BBC 2 London at 9:45pm June 24th, 2011

BBC2 9.45pm to 10.30pm......U2 doing a very short set then! Just kidding, it says BBC4 will then continue coverage of U2's headline set at 10.30pm, obviously after they have shown the presenters sat around in the tent talking shit for 15 minutes or so!!!!

On past experience of BBC's Glastonbury coverage they usually don't show the whole set live of the main act. They spend a lot of time sat around talking shit in a stupid tent while the main group on the pyramid stage is playing. I am also worried that U2 are playing Friday night instead of the Saturday or Sunday slot as the Friday slot is not as well covered either in past years. I hope I am wrong but I doubt the BBC will show the whole of U2's set as it happens.

Well, gotta hope since it's U2 they'll know better! Also hoping U2.com comes through with permission for their own stream.

Like I said above I doubt we'll get the whole set on BBC2 or on any of the streams. I hope I am wrong but past experiences suggest differently.

Just found this -

BBC2 9.45pm to 10.30pm......U2 doing a very short set then! Just kidding, it says BBC4 will then continue coverage of U2's headline set at 10.30pm, obviously after they have shown the presenters sat around in the tent talking shit for 15 minutes or so!!!!

For half an hour of the set - between 10.30-11pm - you have to flick to BBC4, because the Newsnight program is an immovable object, but then back to BBC2 for the rest at 11pm. The programming then runs till either 1am or 2am (can't remember) and post-U2 it's just the loose talking-shit-in-a-tent and presenting highlights from earlier in the day. So it's flexible programming. I think it would be pretty safe to assume that between 10pm and midnight, it's U2. Then an hour or two of talk/highlights, and if U2 run over two hours, they can just let it slide into that time.

So they've certainly got time for the whole thing and if U2 are cool with it, they won't cut it short. Or at least, while they *might* skip to Primal Scream for a song or two somewhere in the middle on the TV broadcast, or a bit of banter in the middle, the online U2 feed will remain on U2.

Just found this -

The whole of MUSE set was shown? so i cannot see why the whole of U2's wont be.

For half an hour of the set - between 10.30-11pm - you have to flick to BBC4, because the Newsnight program is an immovable object, but then back to BBC2 for the rest at 11pm. The programming then runs till either 1am or 2am (can't remember) and post-U2 it's just the loose talking-shit-in-a-tent and presenting highlights from earlier in the day. So it's flexible programming. I think it would be pretty safe to assume that between 10pm and midnight, it's U2. Then an hour or two of talk/highlights, and if U2 run over two hours, they can just let it slide into that time.

So they've certainly got time for the whole thing and if U2 are cool with it, they won't cut it short. Or at least, while they *might* skip to Primal Scream for a song or two somewhere in the middle on the TV broadcast, or a bit of banter in the middle, the online U2 feed will remain on U2.

I cant see them flicking between bands to be honest, they will probably be on the red button

Yeah, I'm sure the other stage headliners will be available on the Red Button. The last few years when I've watched it, there seems to be fairly extensive, if not full, coverage of the headliners. I remember the crazy skipping between channels I had to do in 2007(? I think) between watching The Who on BBC2/Pyramid and Chemical Brothers on BBC4/Other :D

I think that U2 will be broadcast uninterrupted on BBCHD - sure as hell hope that's the case anyway :D

I think that U2 will be broadcast uninterrupted on BBCHD - sure as hell hope that's the case anyway :D

I just posted this @ U2torrents in the forum :)

I bring two pieces of good news....

1) Due to the Wimbledon 3D trial on BBC HD...

BBC - BBC Internet Blog: Gearing up to deliver Wimbledon 3D

"As we are trying to fit two images into the current BBC HD Channel's signal, one of the temporary changes is change the horizontal resolution from 1440 pixels to 1920 for the trial period.

If all goes to plan, the 3D changes will be made during the morning of 13th June and they will change back to the current settings on 6th July."

2) Radiotimes listings for Friday 24th June...

Glastonbury 2011

Friday 24 June
9:45pm - 10:30pm
BBC HD

Coverage of this year's music and arts festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset, including the headline set by U2 on the Pyramid Stage - the first Glastonbury performance of the band's career. Presented by Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Zane Lowe and Mark Radcliffe.

Subtitled, Widescreen, High definition

U2 Live at Glastonbury 2011

Friday 24 June
10:30pm - 11:05pm
BBC HD

The rock band bring the first night of this year's festival to a close with a headline set on the Pyramid Stage. The performance will see them making their Glastonbury debut, following a career that has seen them top the charts around the world with albums including Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and All that You Can't Leave Behind - although guitarist The Edge made a cameo appearance with Muse at last year's festival.

Glastonbury 2011

Friday 24 June
11:05pm - 2:00am
BBC HD

Jo Whiley, Mark Radcliffe, Lauren Laverne and Zane Lowe present highlights from the first day of the arts and music festival, including U2's much-anticipated Glastonbury debut. Other acts taking to Worthy Farm's many stages included Morrissey, Biffy Clyro, BB King, hip-hop pioneers the Wu-Tang Clan, Cee Lo Green, drum 'n' bass duo Chase & Status, Jimmy Cliff, Primal Scream, Mumford & Sons and Fleet Foxes. The show also features acoustic sets from the BBC's backstage garden, as well as reports capturing some of the more obscure sights and sounds of the festival.

So therefore there is a good chance the vast majority of the whole set will be broadcast live, or as-live on BBC HD.

However, the BBC2 broadcast, presumably mirroring BBC HD, cuts away to BBC4 (with logo) for Newsnight from 10:30pm - 11:05pm, and then resumes on BBC2 afterwards. There is also the possibility that one of the interactive (red button) streams will show the same feed as BBC HD in standard definition.

And yes, I will be recording it.

Link for all BBC Glastonbury 2011 programmes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007r6vx/episodes/upcoming

Red Button coverage...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/glastonbury/2011/redbutton/

Note that at least two red button feeds run through the night from early Sunday morning, through all of Sunday and until 02.00 Monday morning!

Last edited:
Potential radio coverage on Friday night....

Radio 2 in Concert: Glastonbury

Friday 24 June
10:00pm - 11:00pm
BBC Radio 2

Stuart Maconie presents highlights from this year's festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset.

Round the Stages with Steve Lamacq

Friday 24 June
10:00pm - 12:00am
BBC 6 Music

Music and reports from the Glastonbury Festival.

just discovered, for the non-UK peeps, if you can get "CBeebies" on your satellite tv it's the same thing as BBC4 - the channel is CBeebies in the day and BBC4 at night...

i am SO relieved :D

:up: oh yes that's right! thanks enaijh2!

i was desperately trying to pick up BBC4 the other day by satellite - i spent the whole morning resetting my satellite decoder and scanning for channels, then ended up with over a thousand useless channels, and apparently no BBC4 (didn't realise at the time it was CBeebies lol) and messed up all the remote control numbers for our usual channels - spent hours going thru deleting and sorting it all out, all because of Glastonbury! :lol:

If it is streamed online and you are outside the UK you can find a UK proxy and listen to it. I'll post info in the setlist party if I can get it to work and there actually is one.

If it has been streamed online in the past, or if anyone knows that will be the case this year, can someone please PM me the link so I can try to have everything ready to go by the 24th?

Just looked on sky plus, am i seeing this right U2 start on bbc 2 at 9:45 until 10:30 whes news night starts, but it doesnt carry on bbc4 until 11:30 so we are missing a whole hour of coverage?

Just looked on sky plus, am i seeing this right U2 start on bbc 2 at 9:45 until 10:30 whes news night starts, but it doesnt carry on bbc4 until 11:30 so we are missing a whole hour of coverage?

U2 Live at Glastonbury 2011 - Friday 24 June - Programme Details - Radio Times

U2 Live at Glastonbury 2011

Friday 24 June
10:30pm - 11:05pm
BBC4

The EPG listings on my pc for both Freeview and Satellite agree with this too. Coverage resumes on BBC2 at 11.05pm. BBC HD should run through without interruption.

If it is streamed online and you are outside the UK you can find a UK proxy and listen to it. I'll post info in the setlist party if I can get it to work and there actually is one.

If it has been streamed online in the past, or if anyone knows that will be the case this year, can someone please PM me the link so I can try to have everything ready to go by the 24th?

1. Parks and Recreation is amazing! History of official Pawnee Town Slogans: "Pawnee - Welcome German soldiers!...that was after Nazis took France, our mayor kinda panicked."

2. I've heard about something called "Expat Shield" that gives you a UK IP address, I wonder if it works? Seems legit. Then people outside UK can watch the online BBC player, which I think is streaming the concert.

Also, I'm going to ask in the U2 community chat if their official website has made a deal to stream it live. They even opened an official U2 site for Glastonbury: Home | U2 18

But it would be so awesome to watch a U2 concert, live as it happens, in HD. I have BBC HD and keep my fingers crossed, that they don't spend all the time with interviews in a tent :lol:

If that happens, must be online for a video or sound stream :hyper:

Thanks for all the info :up:

Earnie Shavers said:
Radio radio! If tv's hard, radio is still easy, no?

Boooooo radio? If i cant see them on my tv live i will be gutted (wont be live because i am working so watch it when i get home so sort of live haha) this needs to be a tv event

The Glastonbury Ripple Begins.... (updated 18 June) - Announcements and News - Free Forum - U2 Community - Message Board The official site has launched a countdown, and look at this:

BBC Coverage on TV / Radio / Web (UK only - worldwide coverage details to follow)...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/prog...07r6vx/episodes/upcoming

U2.com/U2 facebook is going all out counting down to Glasto with videos and such. I'm feeling that they may have gotten permission to stream the live set on the official site for everyone. Why write a tease like "worldwide coverage details to follow" if you don't plan on streaming it? If they mean the VH1/Palladia cut-down version that would be anti-climatic.

Back
Top Bottom