Glastonbury-3 Years on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-OlRwdAM

Its been 3 years tomorrow since U2 played glastonbury.

I was right down the front for the gig. I thought it was good but i still have a feeling of what could have been.

It should of been the greatest glastonbury gig ever but in the end it was just good(in my opinion,ok-crap in others eyes)

All the years i went to glastonbury i dreamed u2 would do it.maybe i built it up to much.

It isnt remembered as an amazing glastonbury moment here.u2 should have blown everyones socks off.

Its the last time i saw the band live,i wish they could do it all over again

Yeah, and if the U2 Twitter feed could stop clogging things up about it, that'd be greeeaaatttt.

i remember watching this online and thinking it was good. then i read that people didn't think it was that good, and that the band wasn't happy.

what's the story? i remember it was pouring buckets, but it seemed like it went pretty well? what were people expecting?

i remember watching this online and thinking it was good. then i read that people didn't think it was that good, and that the band wasn't happy.

what's the story? i remember it was pouring buckets, but it seemed like it went pretty well? what were people expecting?

I think the performance looked better on tv than actually being there

I think the performance looked better on tv than actually being there

100%

There was alot of bad press going into the gig about the tax avoiding subject and that people believed U2 shouldnt be at a festival like glastonbury. So they had an up hill battle before they even started.

Morrissey was on before U2 and he was god awful. He really zapped the energy out of the crowd. He also moaned about u2 quite alot. He was really bitter that he was on before them.

The rain was the most long extreme downpour ive ever been in and i live in the uk so it must be bad :)

When u2 came out ebttrt was terrible, it really was. You couldnt hear the edge's guitar very much and the remix was all over the place. It was that bad i couldnt work out if it was the new 360 mix or the orginal.

I was about 4 people back from the front barrier so i had a cracking spot.

The band looked nervous,edgy abit like they didnt believe they should be there. Which i couldnt understand,their the best band in the world,why worry?i think the bad press had got to them.

They played the fly 2nd in and it was unreal,the best i think ive ever heard them. With the visuals it was stunning.

The jist really is that some of it was good and some of it was bad to ok. Bono sounded amazing in parts and other parts you couldnt hear him much.

They messed the set list up i thought. Most people will say that the first half of the gig was amazing but the 2nd half wasnt that good at all. But streets 5 songs in nah i aint having that. No new years day playing get on your boots even though everyone hated it in the uk.

Bono seemed to have alot of problems with his mic aswell. It went very low about two thirds into the gig.

The general opinion was that if you were near the front it was good but the further back you got the worse it got. Alot of people left half way through and there wasnt a massive crowd at all,some say its one of the lowest on the pyramid.

Im glad i was there though but i think the band should have come out with no fear and brimming with confidence. I think the rain stopped Bono doing alot.

More or less everyone says coldplay blew u2 out of the water that weekend. Which i cant agree with. A good u2 gig is better then an amazing coldplay show in my opinion.

Yeah like i said earlier it should of been epic instead it was bad to good dependent what your opinion was.

Rennowba, sums it up quite well. The sound on the field was the worse I've heard for a U2 show, It was barely audible at times and I could speak to my neighbour without raising my voice, it was way too quiet. I was stood by the mixing desk and could see Joe O and can't believe he would have been happy with it. The support acts during the day where pretty crap and yes the rain didn't help, but i think that affected the band more than the crowd as they are used to it. Larry commented on the huge gap at front of stage to the crowd, I think the band don't like that sort of set-up and Bono is too old to be clambering through Glasto mud to reach his audience. Also factor in, however good it looks on tv, having a wall of flags in front of 3/4 of the field really is a pain in the ass to the majority.

The tv footage came over pretty good though

They really shouldn't have even bothered. The UK press are the the most vicious in the world, and they seem to really hate U2 anyway. Just stick to your stadium/arena gigs, U2. Your fans don't want to hang out at a nasty, muddy, overcrowded, hot festival all day just to see you, plus you'll make more money at your own gig.

It has now been 3 years since I saw them in East Lansing. That was such a good gig. I was worried they'd be worn out from the fallout of the Glastonbury trip, but that was not the case. I also remember that it was still daylight during Zooropa, cause that kind of ruined the effect of the light show. The sun just wouldn't go away!

They really shouldn't have even bothered. The UK press are the the most vicious in the world, and they seem to really hate U2 anyway. Just stick to your stadium/arena gigs, U2. Your fans don't want to hang out at a nasty, muddy, overcrowded, hot festival all day just to see you, plus you'll make more money at your own gig.

I've been twice and the festival itself is a wonderful experience, the pyramid stage is only a fraction of the attraction. I left halfway through Coldplay, not because they were particularly bad, we just wanted to go elsewhere. I think you really need all the elements in your favour at this festival in particular, performance, weather, setlist, good special guest rumours, to hold the crowd. I would imagine they lost a fair few casual observers mid set.

I've been twice and the festival itself is a wonderful experience, the pyramid stage is only a fraction of the attraction. I left halfway through Coldplay, not because they were particularly bad, we just wanted to go elsewhere. I think you really need all the elements in your favour at this festival in particular, performance, weather, setlist, good special guest rumours, to hold the crowd. I would imagine they lost a fair few casual observers mid set.

Glastonbury is so special. Ive been 4 times and its an amazing experience. Thats what it is,its an experience. Its like nothing eles in the world. You could not watch a band all weekend and still find plenty to do.I cannot describe how big the site is, its huge.

I wish i was there now even though theres a severe weather warning out.

About the sound issue, it seems that barely a year goes by when there isnt an issue with the sound on the pyramid stage. Theve always had problems. I remember the killers having a shocker a few years ago so u2 arent on their own when it comes to sound problems on the pyramid.

But, I thought Morrissey was paying tribute to U2 during his set.

I seem to remember alot of grumpy statements. Like " dont worry ill rush through my set so you can see u2" which was welcomed to a chorus of boos.

There were a few things he said,i cant remember the other things.

Morrissey hates u2 dosent he? Alot of british artists from that era then onto the madchester era have alot of dislike towards u2.ian brown being a prime example. Down to being jealous most of the time.

I seem to remember alot of grumpy statements. Like " dont worry ill rush through my set so you can see u2" which was welcomed to a chorus of boos.

Morrissey hates u2 dosent he? Alot of british artists from that era then onto the madchester era have alot of dislike towards u2.ian brown being a prime example. Down to being jealous most of the time.

Her.post was a reference to an interference inside joke. At least in the top 5

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

100%

There was alot of bad press going into the gig about the tax avoiding subject and that people believed U2 shouldnt be at a festival like glastonbury. So they had an up hill battle before they even started.

Morrissey was on before U2 and he was god awful. He really zapped the energy out of the crowd. He also moaned about u2 quite alot. He was really bitter that he was on before them.

The rain was the most long extreme downpour ive ever been in and i live in the uk so it must be bad :)

When u2 came out ebttrt was terrible, it really was. You couldnt hear the edge's guitar very much and the remix was all over the place. It was that bad i couldnt work out if it was the new 360 mix or the orginal.

I was about 4 people back from the front barrier so i had a cracking spot.

The band looked nervous,edgy abit like they didnt believe they should be there. Which i couldnt understand,their the best band in the world,why worry?i think the bad press had got to them.

They played the fly 2nd in and it was unreal,the best i think ive ever heard them. With the visuals it was stunning.

The jist really is that some of it was good and some of it was bad to ok. Bono sounded amazing in parts and other parts you couldnt hear him much.

They messed the set list up i thought. Most people will say that the first half of the gig was amazing but the 2nd half wasnt that good at all. But streets 5 songs in nah i aint having that. No new years day playing get on your boots even though everyone hated it in the uk.

Bono seemed to have alot of problems with his mic aswell. It went very low about two thirds into the gig.

The general opinion was that if you were near the front it was good but the further back you got the worse it got. Alot of people left half way through and there wasnt a massive crowd at all,some say its one of the lowest on the pyramid.

Im glad i was there though but i think the band should have come out with no fear and brimming with confidence. I think the rain stopped Bono doing alot.

More or less everyone says coldplay blew u2 out of the water that weekend. Which i cant agree with. A good u2 gig is better then an amazing coldplay show in my opinion.

Yeah like i said earlier it should of been epic instead it was bad to good dependent what your opinion was.

Bono was wearing the wrong shoes. He wasn't wearing his "rain shoes". What a fucking nightmare!

These days he's wearing his eating shoes.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I remember how much fun it was fangirling out with everyone else watching live online. I can totally believe it was much different on TV/internet than it was in person, but damn, that was a ton of fun.

Morrissey hates everything and everyone. And everybody hates him. Even his fans, probably.

I remember how much fun it was fangirling out with everyone else watching live online. I can totally believe it was much different on TV/internet than it was in person, but damn, that was a ton of fun.

Same, though the length of the performance brought me down a bit.

Morrissey had always been a very, very grouchy person, well before Pitchfork came along. You'd struggle to find something that he actually likes aside from himself.

Same, though the length of the performance brought me down a bit.

Yeah they wasnt on that long was they?was it about 90 minutes? Big headliners always do over 2 hours ar glastonbury so it seems strange they did do a shorter gig

That was the set list-

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. The Fly
3. Mysterious Ways
4. Until The End Of The World
5. One
6. Where The Streets Have No Name
7. I Will Follow
8. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
9. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
10. Beautiful Day
11. Elevation
12. Get On Your Boots
13. Vertigo
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Bad
16. Pride
17.With Or Without You
18.Moment of Surrender
19.Out Of Control

Id have gone with this

1 Beautiful day
2 i will follow
3 new years day
4 until the end of the world
5 mysterious ways
6 still havent found what im looking for
7 even better then the real thing
8 the fly
9 discotheque
10 city of blinding lights
11 vertigo
12 sunday bloody sunday
13 pride
14 bad
15 streets have no name
16 one

17 ultra violet
18 with or without you
19 walk on

I wouldn't say he hates U2, he's as grumpy about them as he is about most things, but he's never really singled them out. It's always seemed like he had a grudging respect if anything.

The only slight dig I can recall was when he said that The Smiths were more Irish than U2 and to be fair he has a point.

Back
Top Bottom