General discussion for an actual late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kabigon

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So somebody locked the old thread as it hit 1,000 posts. Still no dedicated sub-forum for it, so I guess it can go here again...

They could easily have a show at the forum without losing any credibility for not being able to sell out two stadium shows. Go on......

I remember back in 2006, it was thought that U2 specifically played Kite, Walk On, Stuck, in Aust acknowledging 'sorry we missed you on the Elevation tour'. Or course that was a gigantic success of an album/tour to reach back to, and the same doesn't quite apply as much to soi/soe. But just imagine for a sec that u2 commits to the same thinking for 2019 and wants innocence to be separated from experience by JT.....

Miracle (ohhhhhh, ohhhhhh, ohhhhhhh, ohhhhh stadium singing as Larry walks down to tree stage)
Invisible
Cedarwood Road or Iris
EbW piano
----walk up to the tree--
JT in full
-----encore break---
Blackout (stadium goes completely black, spotlights randomly circling around crowd, screen flickers)
Lights of Home
Love is Bigger

Bday
Vertigo
One

Realistically, They'd never abandon the 80's warhorse for a stadium tour in New countries like this. But one can fantasize about a Songs Of/JT hybrid show.

Last edited:
They could easily have a show at the forum without losing any credibility for not being able to sell out two stadium shows. Go on......

U2 have always been too rigid in this way. “NO! THIS IS A STADIUM TOUR!!” Just set up a stage at the local arena, set up a small screen that displays all the visuals from the JT show, and play. People will still love it and they’ll sell another 16,000 tickets, instead of having 3 days off between Melbourne and Adelaide.

Coldplay’s last tour was a combination of arenas and stadiums. Pretty much the same concept, just smaller scale in the arenas. Guns n Roses did a combination of stadiums, arenas, amphitheaters, festivals, open fields on their big tour. Point is, it can be done.

I remember back in 2006, it was thought that U2 specifically played Kite, Walk On, Stuck, in Aust acknowledging 'sorry we missed you on the Elevation tour'. Or course that was a gigantic success of an album/tour to reach back to, and the same doesn't quite apply as much to soi/soe. But just imagine for a sec that u2 commits to the same thinking for 2019 and wants innocence to be separated from experience by JT.....

Miracle (ohhhhhh, ohhhhhh, ohhhhhhh, ohhhhh stadium singing as Larry walks down to tree stage)
Invisible
Cedarwood Road or Iris
EbW piano
JT in full
-----encore break---
Blackout (stadium goes completely black, spotlights randomly circling around crowd, screen flickers)
Lights of Home
Love is Bigger

Bday
Vertigo
One

Realistically, They'd never abandon the 80's warhorse for a stadium tour in New countries like this. But one can fantasize about a Songs Of/JT hybrid show.

not a bad idea, although I recall one of the ANZ-based posters mentioning that neither SOI nor SOE got any play at all in either country so that may be a losing strategy....

also, Miracle sucks.

it's easily my least favourite track on SOI, but i thought the miracle opening the show worked really well. it's the only time i've ever heard the song and thought "this sounds pretty good". it's more or less the exact same thing they did better 15 years earlier with elevation, but it still was a pretty fun way to open the show and i liked it more than i expected to considering i always skipped straight to track 2 when i listened to the album.

Invisible
Cedarwood Road or Iris
EbW piano
JT in full
-----encore break---
Lights of Home
Love is Bigger

Bday
Vertigo
One

I would hate this

I would hate this

I think it’d be far more interesting if they did an all 80s set -

SBS
NYD
Bad
Pride

TJT

Desire
WLCTT
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY

...this is the most pessimistic version of such a set, ideally more interesting choices of both pre-TJT songs and R&H songs could prevail. But even with the most hits-y version, I think this would make a great “if we’re gonna do the past, let’s really go for it” kind of set.

The least successful bit of TJT17, in my view, was the encore. The “handful of recent songs forced into a theme” approach was trying too hard, even by U2 standards.

Predicted average #JT33 setlist

Setlist:

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Year's Day

Bad*/*America*(snippet)

Pride (In the Name of Love)

Where the Streets Have No Name*/*California (There Is No End To Love)*(snippet)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

With or Without You

Bullet the Blue Sky*/*Black Dog*(snippet)*/*America (West Side Story)*(snippet)

Running To Stand Still

Red Hill Mining Town

In God's Country

Trip Through Your Wires

One Tree Hill

Exit*/*Wise Blood*(snippet)*/*Eeny Meeny Miny Moe*(snippet)

Mothers Of The Disappeared

encore(s):

Miss Sarajevo

Beautiful Day*/*Starman*(snippet)

Elevation

Vertigo*/*Rebel Rebel*(snippet)

.Love is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way

Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

One*/*Hear Us Coming*(snippet)

I don't see the humor on the thread title.

The need for this thread's existence was humorous enough at the time tbh

I don't see the humour in most other Interference thread titles either

Really didn't see that Manila gig coming.

Now where the hell is Melbourne 2. Insane. Even if they play to a half-empty Docklands Stadium they're still going to turn a profit. Better than letting their shit sit around doing nothing.

Really didn't see that Manila gig coming.

Now where the hell is Melbourne 2. Insane. Even if they play to a half-empty Docklands Stadium they're still going to turn a profit. Better than letting their shit sit around doing nothing.

That’s what I don’t get. Go to all the trouble to drag everything down there and set it all up, there’s room in the schedule for it, etc. they’re probably spooked by Auckland 2 selling poorly. They COULD fill those shoes, they just need to lower the prices to what people are actually willing to pay. Some profit is better than none I would think.

It's not as if the one extra day takes the pressure off the band's crew to get to the next city either - Melbourne to Adelaide is literally the easiest and shortest of all the moves they have to do. If they had to go, say, Melbourne to Perth, I could imagine the crew being all "oh thank god one extra day, that will make life less stressful".

That’s pretty cool. Wonder if they’ll add another show elsewhere before the holidays...the UAE?

My friend is working in India for a couple of years aswell , got to use my ticket allocation on u2.com for him.

After years of rumours I finally get to see U2 in my hometown :hyper:

Might be a long shot, but does anyone have an unused presale code I could use for the Mumbai show?

They just announced an Indian show, which is cool. Still holding out hope for a second Melb show.

A small fan only show, sure. No way they announce a second show at docklands less than two months out.

Somebody on u2start heard they’ve only sold 8,000 tickets for Auckland 2!!

Is Noel supporting on the India date ? Or is he just doing Australia and New Zealand ?

Is he supporting in Japan etc ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom