Gene simmons accuses U2 of using backing tracks at gigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Title is a little misleading, he seems to be slamming the pop acts mostly and mentions U2 and the Stones aren't 100% just the guys on stage, which we know is the truth.

:laugh: Yeah uh, news? U2 has been using backing tracks since WOWY.

They use it a LOT. Check in ear mic bootlegs, they're even more audible there. WOWY has additional guitar and backing piano, One has the twangy noises and additional synths to what Terry plays, Beautiful Day has a LOT of backing vocals added, MOS as well though some of those could be Larry as well...

I can see where Gene is coming from, but most artists have pretty sophisticated production which is tough to duplicate during a live performance. U2 and the Stones don't lip synch the vocals and all of the musicians play their instruments.

It's awfully tough to take anything that Gene says seriously. When you talk about Kiss' music, well the pyro, the blood and the make-up are pretty neat, but the music, no way. Kiss needs all of those bells and whistles. Plus, we're talking about a guy who swore he'd never get married.

But sequencer is, in some degree, triggered by the Edge, thou. It's not like some other people are pulling strings behind.

Isn't the common belief that KISS is faking it onstage and there's a real band playing out of sight?

Isn't the common belief that KISS is faking it onstage and there's a real band playing out of sight?

518minikiss.jpg

If you heard their performance at the NHL winter classic a couple years ago, you'd certainly know that Kiss were playing everything live. :yikes:

They should probably start using a backing track.

Pick on Kiss all you want, gang, but U2's overuse of backing tracks was always somewhat troublesome. Sometimes they seemed downright unnecessary. For example. what's with those violin sounds in Miracle Drug? They add virtually nothing to the song.

It's not that big of a deal, but I can understand that some purists would have a problem with it.

I remember there was tiny switch where the Edge can trigger some samples and sequencers. But i know Terry does that, too, so, I dunno about details.

Terry has his laptop set up under the stage, next to the piano he occasionally plays. He's in charge of most intros, backing tracks and loops. Which became painfully audible during the Glasto bootleg when some DJ knocked over his rig. EBTTRT missed its backing track, Streets intro started messed up as heck, and so on. There was an interview with him afterwards explaining the cause.

Pick on Kiss all you want, gang, but U2's overuse of backing tracks was always somewhat troublesome. Sometimes they seemed downright unnecessary. For example. what's with those violin sounds in Miracle Drug? They add virtually nothing to the song.

It's not that big of a deal, but I can understand that some purists would have a problem with it.

Those "purists" are morons.

Isn't the opening drum beat to with or without you a backing track?

I don't like it myself but as long as I can remember, U2 has always done this.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Isn't the opening drum beat to with or without you a backing track?

I don't like it myself but as long as I can remember, U2 has always done this.

Yep, it's always hilarious when a new starts that newbies start threads with ZOMG U2 is fake, Larry doesn't play the intro to WOWY. Which, of course, he never has. :wink:
Also the sorta shimmy sound is part of the backing track.

Those "purists" are morons.

They're morons because they prefer their live music to be hundred percent, well, live? Which is what a lot of great bands actually do?

Hardly.

Ah, now I finally know why I always leave a U2 show with such an empty feeling, like something was really lacking.
Shame on them.

#joingenesimmonsandalltruemusicians

Terry has his laptop set up under the stage, next to the piano he occasionally plays. He's in charge of most intros, backing tracks and loops. Which became painfully audible during the Glasto bootleg when some DJ knocked over his rig. EBTTRT missed its backing track, Streets intro started messed up as heck, and so on. There was an interview with him afterwards explaining the cause.

True, but the Glasto setup was unique in how minimal it was ie using a laptop for most. On tour, he is doing more live than what was happening at Glasto.

Sent from my ass crack

I read or heard somewhere that the band KISS isn't actually showing their real faces but are wearing masks or heavy make-up. SHAME ON THESE FAKERS. I think bands should show their real faces 100% when they are playing live on stage, even if they're ugly as hell.

:laugh: Yeah uh, news? U2 has been using backing tracks since WOWY.

They use it a LOT. Check in ear mic bootlegs, they're even more audible there. WOWY has additional guitar and backing piano, One has the twangy noises and additional synths to what Terry plays, Beautiful Day has a LOT of backing vocals added, MOS as well though some of those could be Larry as well...

Actually since Bad...

Back
Top Bottom