Fuck you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like positive music too, but what do we mean by positive?

To me with the dance influences and whatnot, U2's music in the mid 90's was the most positive and life affirming they have ever put out.

I don't really look to U2 for happy clappy positive music in the 'narrower' sense, that's to be found in Soul II Soul, Inner City, Urban Cookie Collective, etc, to me anyway. Listen to Soul II Soul's 'Back to Life', 'Keep on Movin' or 'Jazzie's Groove' - they knock the socks of the three U2 songs mentioned.

My point being, I don't actually think U2 did so-called positive music particularly well in the early 00's. I think they did it much better in the 1990's, without actually trying to. If you try to write a positive, upbeat, chart-friendly song, if you're U2, you'll probably fail.

But, yeah, each to their own.

Thanks for your reply, FG. I think. I understand you point. At least most of it. Perhaps, it is the age difference on my part. I am in my early fifties. With worries about retirement, someday. Grown kids, grand child and aging parents, all who need me. Thank God for this, but it can be stressful.

Sometimes music, can be a five minute escape for me. Where I can just close my eyes and not worry about anything. :wave:

I think that's what's so great about U2.... you can find a song to suit every mood, and fans like them for very different reasons and that's cool!
It demonstrates their diversity/growth/progression.

But whatever they do, people will bitch about it.
It's human nature.

There are some of us because the music has touched us so deeply and personally, we feel loyal to them for giving us (fill in the blank with your experience) For me, God doesn't walk through the room that often, but you can bet at a U2 show...He's there. Or in your living room or in your car...or wherever.
That's the high that I crave. I think the band craves it too, they love when it goes off as Bono says... that must be such an awesome feeling. They could walk away at any time we all know that, but they don't. I think it's the spirtual energy that is propelled by them that keeps them amazed and yes, humble.
And I for one LOVE that about them, no matter what they do.
Do I think the masks are a stupid idea, yep, but I still feel connected to them in a weird way.

Drunk or not, you put simply and precisely something I've wished to express many times on this forum.
:applaud:

This thread shall become legend. Any time anyone wants to gripe about something that totally shits them, they can come here and give the big fuck you!! Obviously, no naming etc though

Are you pissed as fart or just fuckin pissed in another way?

Bless u2

fuck the peep who dont like something about them

I'm all for being positive, U2 music is famous for this and is partly why they're widely dismissed by many critics. however the songs you've mentioned other than possibly Grace are awful, they're not awful because they're positive, they're awful because they're shit.

Fucking hell, What an incredibly stupid thread this is. I think I like it! Bono would be proud too!
:rockon:

Perhaps a bit of clarification and context is in order.

Me and my friend who were talking, are having issues with a couple of friends who are negative influences on our circle of friends. These people are negative, racist, sexist, abusive, and put you down. But they're our friends, and we can't really pull them up on what they have to say because the repercussions will be enormous. We have to bite our tongue and move on. I have to watch what I say, because these people are so vindictive, and have their own agendas behind friendships and everything... I'm not like that, I just want to talk rubbish and have a good time. Also, I'm very close to being in love with this girl, and everyone is telling me how it's just not going to happen, and other ridiculous stuff. It was a pretty emotional conversation, and I suppose my post would have made sense if you were there.

What I was trying to say is, we live in a world that is just so damn cynical and negative sometimes, full of people that I was describing before. I'm guilty of it more than most. But sometimes, it's good to just refocus - look at what you have, not what you don't have; reevaluate what you're trying to do, and what you're trying to get out of life, and be good. That's what me and my friend got out of our conversation. As a drinking, smoking, swearing, underachieving college student, I really don't do that enough.

Maybe those songs aren't great, but lyrically and musically they were perfect for the time. Walk On, Kite, Yahweh, IALW, Grace, Wild Honey... it was what I needed at the time. The messages were perfect.

So I wasn't angry when I posted, and it still carries meaning. I just swear a fair bit anyway, so for me, that wasn't anger. But I guess a bottle of scotch will do that to you.

Me and my friend who were talking, are having issues with a couple of friends who are negative influences on our circle of friends. These people are negative, racist, sexist, abusive, and put you down. But they're our friends, and we can't really pull them up on what they have to say because the repercussions will be enormous. We have to bite our tongue and move on. I have to watch what I say, because these people are so vindictive, and have their own agendas behind friendships and everything... I'm not like that, I just want to talk rubbish and have a good time. Also, I'm very close to being in love with this girl, and everyone is telling me how it's just not going to happen, and other ridiculous stuff. It was a pretty emotional conversation, and I suppose my post would have made sense if you were there.

What I was trying to say is, we live in a world that is just so damn cynical and negative sometimes, full of people that I was describing before. I'm guilty of it more than most. But sometimes, it's good to just refocus - look at what you have, not what you don't have; reevaluate what you're trying to do, and what you're trying to get out of life, and be good. That's what me and my friend got out of our conversation. As a drinking, smoking, swearing, underachieving college student, I really don't do that enough.

Maybe those songs aren't great, but lyrically and musically they were perfect for the time. Walk On, Kite, Yahweh, IALW, Grace, Wild Honey... it was what I needed at the time. The messages were perfect.

So I wasn't angry when I posted, and it still carries meaning. I just swear a fair bit anyway, so for me, that wasn't anger. But I guess a bottle of scotch will do that to you.

I have been off the scotisch wagon for 3 years now and it realy did me good :up:

Mr V, you are seriously my hero. Anyone who is vindictive to you is a complete fucking arseclown and doesn't deserve a friend like you :hug:

Peace brother :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom