From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I still think it's pretty interesting. There's a quote in that article:

From the Sky Down, the documentary about U2 revisiting their pivotal 1991 album, Achtung Baby, as they prepared to play it live at their first ever Glastonbury gig this past summer.

As they "prepared to play it live"? What, you mean as they prepared to play 5 songs off of the album? Is the documentary going to be about them crapping out on the idea of playing the full album?

I just find the wording of that very strange. Because they sure as shit didn't "play Achtung Baby" at Glastonbury. Yeah, they basically busted out The Fly for the festival, but they'd been playing EBTTRT for a little while, and One, UTEOTW, and MW had been set list staples for most of the entire tour. They play those shits every night.

To an outsider, not us freaky obsessed fanboys and girls, if you were to read that line: "This is a documentary about U2 preparing to play Achtung Baby at Glastonbury" you would think that they were preparing to play the entire album.

So, what's the deal? Is that the case? Were they originally planning on actually playing the whole album at Glastonbury (my God that would have been incredible, and actually worthy of a documentary)? Is the documentary going to strongly feature a plot point about them getting ready to do a BIG SURPRISE!!!!! Achtung Baby set at Glastonbury...that ended up being not all that out of the ordinary for them? I just find this very intriguing.

I suppose we'll find out when we watch the documentary but, still.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I still think it's pretty interesting. There's a quote in that article:

As they "prepared to play it live"? What, you mean as they prepared to play 5 songs off of the album? Is the documentary going to be about them crapping out on the idea of playing the full album?

I just find the wording of that very strange. Because they sure as shit didn't "play Achtung Baby" at Glastonbury. Yeah, they basically busted out The Fly for the festival, but they'd been playing EBTTRT for a little while, and One, UTEOTW, and MW had been set list staples for most of the entire tour. They play those shits every night.

To an outsider, not us freaky obsessed fanboys and girls, if you were to read that line: "This is a documentary about U2 preparing to play Achtung Baby at Glastonbury" you would think that they were preparing to play the entire album.

So, what's the deal? Is that the case? Were they originally planning on actually playing the whole album at Glastonbury (my God that would have been incredible, and actually worthy of a documentary)? Is the documentary going to strongly feature a plot point about them getting ready to do a BIG SURPRISE!!!!! Achtung Baby set at Glastonbury...that ended up being not all that out of the ordinary for them? I just find this very intriguing.

I suppose we'll find out when we watch the documentary but, still.

I would just chalk it up to poor writing in the article.

I noticed that (and was mildly annoyed by that) as well. I don't think they ever planned on playing the entire album at Glastonbury.

Yeah, that's probably it.

I got all worked up for nothing.

For the record, Until The End Of The World wasn't actually a staple on the first leg of the 360 tour. It wasn't even played until Amsterdam 2, July 21. And was played only five times on that leg. It wasn't played at all shows on the US leg either, if I'm remembering correctly. So it only truly became a staple in 2010.

I walked by the TIFF main theater the other day and they have wall sized portraits of Bono and The Edge hanging on the wall. I thought it was a bit strange. Anyone else notice this? GVOX?

I want to see this - got pictures?

Davis Guggenheim on filming an intimate, honest U2 | Ampersand | National Post

That said, he does also draw out elements of tension, both old and new. In one hushed moment, captured during rehearsals this past May in Winnipeg, The Edge plays a solo version of Achtung Baby’s closer, Love Is Blindness, on acoustic guitar, while reflecting in an overdubbed interview on how the breakup of his marriage affected his work on the album.

When U2 rehearses together, Bono orders his bandmates around, and The Edge growls back at him.

In Davis Guggenheim’s documentary From the Sky Down, you’ll see the singer of the world’s biggest band glowering and sniping at a cameraman, worrying with his bandmates about persistent screw-ups in shows, and swearing about a stage crew’s incompetence as a worried-looking stylist helps him dress before an encore. Guggenheim resurrected this footage from discarded dailies for Rattle and Hum.

Davis Guggenheim on filming an intimate, honest U2 | Ampersand | National Post

That said, he does also draw out elements of tension, both old and new. In one hushed moment, captured during rehearsals this past May in Winnipeg, The Edge plays a solo version of Achtung Baby’s closer, Love Is Blindness, on acoustic guitar, while reflecting in an overdubbed interview on how the breakup of his marriage affected his work on the album.

When U2 rehearses together, Bono orders his bandmates around, and The Edge growls back at him.

In Davis Guggenheim’s documentary From the Sky Down, you’ll see the singer of the world’s biggest band glowering and sniping at a cameraman, worrying with his bandmates about persistent screw-ups in shows, and swearing about a stage crew’s incompetence as a worried-looking stylist helps him dress before an encore. Guggenheim resurrected this footage from discarded dailies for Rattle and Hum.

sounds amazing. :up:

may sound greedy, but I hope the dvd/blu ray comes with a lot of extra footage like interviews/general footage. I just know this film will make me want to find out/watch even more :lol:

Bono currently holding court at a corner table in Yorkville hotel before tonight's premiere

Way too much emphasis on One (I hope that's not going to be the case in the film), but otherwise, looks very interesting. I can't wait to hear Edge's version of Love is Blindness! :drool:

The tuning thing at the beginning was hilarious.

Hopefully, they also touch on their more than 5 months at Dog Town - which is where most of the album came from.

Back
Top Bottom