From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the entire band will be there. This is a huge deal. Huge.

I had very high doubts that The Edge would show up for It Might Get Loud. So much so, that I just went down to the city with no U2 intentions. To go book shopping or other. Low & behold, two hours later, the hatted man was spotted. So, I am a believer.

This thing premieres in two weeks and there's no trailer yet?

Can I get a trailer or somethin? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the entire band will be there. This is a huge deal. Huge.

Yet another feather in the other hat they don't have to wear as a rock band: Oscar nomination, docu film opening TIFF.

This is gonna be part of their mammoth legacy

This is U2 we are talking about. They will be editing in the hotel suite beforehand. They haven't even got a plot yet.

Bono: eh Adam, let's try to re-create your lost weekend. And do you still have Niaomi's cell?

ps: the Beanie-d hottie was spotted... by you?

Yet another feather in the other hat they don't have to wear as a rock band: Oscar nomination, docu film opening TIFF.

This is gonna be part of their mammoth legacy

If there's an Oscar nomination for this film, it will be for the director, David Guggenheim, and not U2. While Paul Mcguinness is technically listed as an executive producer on the film (and therefore eligible for an Oscar), it's really Gugenhem's baby (if you'll excuse the pun). U2 are musicians, not filmmakers. The film is about U2, but not made by U2. At least that's what I think.

Having said all that, I am curious as to who financed it. Was it Gugenheim's idea, and if not who came up with the idea and hired him? McG's Exec Prod credit is interesting, as is its placement in the AB set (which leads me to believe the band probably has some kind of financial investment in the film). I'm just wondering, is it a genuine documentary, or, if the band is really behind it financially, will be be more of a promotional piece, ala Rattle & Hum?

I dont' think it really matters much either way, I have a feeling the film is going to be outstanding. I'm just curious whose film it is.

This thing premieres in two weeks and there's no trailer yet?

Can I get a trailer or somethin? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Trailer.jpg

If there's an Oscar nomination for this film, it will be for the director, David Guggenheim, and not U2. While Paul Mcguinness is technically listed as an executive producer on the film (and therefore eligible for an Oscar), it's really Gugenhem's baby (if you'll excuse the pun). U2 are musicians, not filmmakers. The film is about U2, but not made by U2. At least that's what I think.

Having said all that, I am curious as to who financed it. Was it Gugenheim's idea, and if not who came up with the idea and hired him? McG's Exec Prod credit is interesting, as is its placement in the AB set (which leads me to believe the band probably has some kind of financial investment in the film). I'm just wondering, is it a genuine documentary, or, if the band is really behind it financially, will be be more of a promotional piece, ala Rattle & Hum?

I dont' think it really matters much either way, I have a feeling the film is going to be outstanding. I'm just curious whose film it is.

By Oscar nomination, I was referring to the song "The Hands that Built America" for the soundtrack of Gangs of New York.

Oscars= Academy awards, right?

I was told by two different friends who seem to know what they're talking about. Doesn't make it true of course...but I'm just going off of what I've heard at this point. According to them, the premiere showing was so high in demand it's by invite only.

I just called the box office. The 8 pm show is by invite only. 6:30 is open to the public at the Winter Garden Theater. So is the following Saturday.

Heard today....they are all coming. They might stay in my city longer to see Pearl Jam's movie....

Will there be a worldwilde release or is this going straight to the Achtung baby boxset after the TIFF?

Great to hear they're all coming. I hope they're doing the red carpet together like they did in Cannes when U23D premiered. Maybe also a little performance :hmm:

What's the exact date of that event again?

U2Brothr, any info on why it is at Roy Thompson Hall? A gig?

Nope...not that I know of.....It is that ROY because it's a Gala presentation. I've seen other movies there during TIFF as well. Large screen and away we go.

wouldn't it be cool if Bono steps out of the limo in full fly outfit?just for nostalgia reasons

Pearl Jam concert TO/TIFF

I wonder if U2 will attend or possibly perform at either of the two Pearl Jam concerts during the TIFF. I missed the show in TO when Pearl Jam performed at a U2 show. I have Pearl Jam tix for Hamilton, but now I am tempted to see one of the shows in TO as well.

Well folks, I am 80% not going for this one, as I've been told that at big film festivals like this, the only people who can get on the 'rail' of the red carpet are press photogs and interviewers and other media people.

Toronto-dwellers and others in the region, wish you guys luck in meeting the band at TIFF. Maybe you can suss out some back doors and secret entrances at the venue and stuff. Please post your stories and pics of meeting the band on here :hyper:

I'm still hoping the band does a Letterman appearance or something small like that (Conan would be better, imo) to promote the AB remaster in early November. Those $500 box sets aren't going to sell themselves! :D

I'm really hoping that this will be released on its own sometime, just in case I don't get any of the AB box sets. If it is, we probably won't find out until well after all of us have already caved and bought the Super or Uber editions. :lol: Even if it was at least on iTunes, that would be good enough.

Well folks, I am 80% not going for this one, as I've been told that at big film festivals like this, the only people who can get on the 'rail' of the red carpet are press photogs and interviewers and other media people.

Toronto-dwellers and others in the region, wish you guys luck in meeting the band at TIFF. Maybe you can suss out some back doors and secret entrances at the venue and stuff. Please post your stories and pics of meeting the band on here :hyper:

I'm still hoping the band does a Letterman appearance or something small like that (Conan would be better, imo) to promote the AB remaster in early November. Those $500 box sets aren't going to sell themselves! :D

Yeah I agree.
Usually the premiere of something like this is by invite only, so the odds of getting into the gala showing is pretty much a no-go.

I wonder if U2 will attend or possibly perform at either of the two Pearl Jam concerts during the TIFF. I missed the show in TO when Pearl Jam performed at a U2 show. I have Pearl Jam tix for Hamilton, but now I am tempted to see one of the shows in TO as well.

Its hard to say what will happen. Trying to predict is pointless. Neil Young is also in town but he is very hard to pin down. One concert is on the anniversary of 9/11 so history could happen. The good thing is generally each PJ show is quite different than others so expect a varied setlist. I was at both U2 and Pearl Jam shows ay ACC in Sept 05. When Bono came out on during PJ, I thought the roof was going to collapse. It was so intense for those couple of minutes.

If you dig up this 45, you can re-live the moment on record.

Back
Top Bottom