Foo Fighters drummer thinks SOI sounds like a fart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I would compare it more to a porch swing at a retirement home, but OK:

Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins Says U2′s New Album “Sounds Like A Fart” - Stereogum

I mean, I think they probably thought it was gonna be a great idea, “Here’s the deal: everybody who has an iPhone, gets your record. And they get it for free!” And they thought, probably, “Well that’s pretty awesome!” but they didn’t really take into consideration the Big Brother feeling that kinda goes along with like, “[In menacing voice] You have the new U2 record”… You couldn’t get rid of it and they actually had to come up with an app to get rid of it, that’s horrible.

I liked all the YouTube footage of all the crap: “What the fuck is this shit doin’ on my phone, dog? Get this shit off my phone, dog!” Haha, it was like, HAHAHAHAhahaha.

What happened to U2, man? I don’t think people are that hyped on them… I don’t know that any of that new album has anything great on it. I listened to it once, but it’s so marred by that whole sort of, like I said, Orwellian, 1984 extreme that it just kinda sounds like a fart any way you listen to it.

First he trashed Discotheque, now this!!!! Add him to whatever list Henry Rollins is on.

Let's use this thread to get righteously indignant about haters.

Last edited:
Whatever. Not sure which Foo Fighters song it was I heard on Spotify from the new album, but it was boring, whatever it was.

If U2 is only going acoustic because Rick Rubin told them to, perhaps U2 will plug back in to impress Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters.

I mean, if it came from a band worth a shit, I'd probably care a little. Not much though. I read better anti-U2 comments on Twitter from pissed off iPhone users.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Isn't that a couple of negative comments by Taylor Hawkins about U2 in the last few months? He's either got a hard on for them, jealous, or trying to get some juice for FF by talking shit about the biggest band. U2 won't engage in it.

I've been a Foo Fighters fan since around 1999. Seen them live 7 times. Falling off in interest since around 2008. All their shit is starting to sound the same. How bout make some great music and let that speak for you?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

tumblr_m6c154SFYO1rzjy67o1_500.gif

Nah, Everlong came out a couple months after Discotheque.

But they haven't topped that song since.

This is the same drummer Alanis Morisette had for her big album's, unless Foo Fighters got rid of him.

http://m.independent.ie/business/te...-the-ball-forward-for-everybody-30720719.html

Well, if we are taking opinions from drummers, I'll see your Foo Fighters and raise you Smashing Pumpkins

I guess because he actually put thought in his response and didn't use terms like "fart", it wasn't as big of news.

Now here's a guy who gets it.

The people in the industry who are complaining are the ones who are stressed and fearful because they can't see down the road. The landscape was going to change anyway, U2 or not. Adapt or die. I'm glad they were the pioneers, as they are often times.

Now here's a guy who gets it.

The people in the industry who are complaining are the ones who are stressed and fearful because they can't see down the road. The landscape was going to change anyway, U2 or not. Adapt or die. I'm glad they were the pioneers, as they are often times.

But really, leading the Smashing Pumpkins for 25 years, as a concept... we looked at cultural movements and learned how to monetise them.

By deliberately alienating one fan at a time since 1998. If they really learned how to monetize movements, they'd have done the Pumpkins version of Beautiful Day in 2000 instead of making Machina. U2 clearly have Billy etc. beat on the business front.

For me Foo Fighters are the most overrated band of the last decade together with Radiohead and Muse. That band based its success on screaming ape like vocals and dumb-agressive style of playing. For me they are annoying and boring. It´s all I can say about them. :lol:

For me Foo Fighters are the most overrated band of the last decade together with Radiohead and Muse. That band based its success on screaming ape like vocals and dumb-agressive style of playing. For me they are annoying and boring. It´s all I can say about them. :lol:

I agree with 2 out of the 3 with Radiohead being the exception. They are wonderful and my favorite band of all time along with U2.

Muse overrated???? WTF!!!!

Muse is the best "new" rock band by far. Can't believe someone thinks like that. Musically they are 10 times better than U2, live they are killers as well.

If they had a frontman like Bono, they would rule the world like U2 did. Their music is just less "mainsteam" than U2, that's the only reason they won't reach U2's status.

Muse overrated???? WTF!!!!

Muse is the best "new" rock band by far. Can't believe someone thinks like that. Musically they are 10 times better than U2, live they are killers as well.

If they had a frontman like Bono, they would rule the world like U2 did. Their music is just less "mainsteam" than U2, that's the only reason they won't reach U2's status.

Been listening to Black Holes and Revelations and it was the biggest disappointment. Those guys are great with their instruments, but the record is a mess. I´haven´t heard such uncohessive record for a long time. I was surprised how many songs are quite weak given the fact how overhypedt it was. Unfortunately this band can never be great live because one reason. That reason is called Matt Bellamy.

Been listening to Black Holes and Revelations and it was the biggest disappointment. Those guys are great with their instruments, but the record is a mess. I´haven´t heard such uncohessive record for a long time. I was surprised how many songs are quite weak given the fact how overhypedt it was. Unfortunately this band can never be great live because one reason. That reason is called Matt Bellamy.

I saw Muse live for the first time last year and I would have to disagree. They were teriffic! My 14 and 17 year old daughters agreed. We go to many concerts of all types of performers and rank them close to the top. They haven't seen a U2 concert yet and likely won't.

Muse is OK nothing to write home about. Radiohead used to be good but really havent come out with a good album in 15 years.

Rock music isn't really about being great with instruments, if you wanted to listen to that you certainly shouldn't be listening to rock music....its always been about melody and depth of song, trying to convey something "changing the world".

What Muse and Radiohead lack that U2 has always had with Bono is emotion, and Edge is a wide range of sounds, not the same thing over and over again.

Matt Bellamy is an an ultra talented guitarist with an amazing control of his own voice.
Muse kicks ass playing live. Sometimes they really get a bit uncohessive records, but they are definetely in their way to become the biggest rock band in 10 years or so..

PS: I also have a theory that a band capable of delivering us Citizen Erased, Knights of Cydonia or Animals can't be overrated.

But really, leading the Smashing Pumpkins for 25 years, as a concept... we looked at cultural movements and learned how to monetise them.

By deliberately alienating one fan at a time since 1998. If they really learned how to monetize movements, they'd have done the Pumpkins version of Beautiful Day in 2000 instead of making Machina. U2 clearly have Billy etc. beat on the business front.
Well, Billy may not be quite as concerned as Bongo and the Egg about every dollar and being atop every trend, maybe just makes the music he wants to make. Happened to be very popular for a while, and I'm sure Chamberlain made some business decisions in his time as a Punkin that were wise, but the musical direction is strictly Corgan. I doubt he made a conscious decision to alienate fans, just a decision about where he wanted to go with his music.

Back
Top Bottom