Fix a bad U2 lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're on a piece of ground
Above a volcano

"Piece of ground"? That's always bothered me. That term makes me think of an old-timey farmer. As in, "This here piece of ground is gonna make us a fine homestead!"

I don't know what I'd change it to. It's not rhyming with anything, so any old word or phrase would do!

You're on a piece of ground
Above a volcano

"Piece of ground"? That's always bothered me. That term makes me think of an old-timey farmer. As in, "This here piece of ground is gonna make us a fine homestead!"

I don't know what I'd change it to. It's not rhyming with anything, so any old word or phrase would do!

I think that's the point. It's referring to old school Ireland.

I think that's the least of Volcano's worries.

"The best thing that ever happened a boy"

to

"The best thing that happened to a boy"

Get rid of the word "ever", and the rest fits. It's fucking simple, Bono.

"It's the blind leading the blond. It's the stuff, it's the stuff of country songs."

to

"Oppa Gangnam Style. Gangnam Style. Op, op, op, op."

I just sing "The best thing that ever happened a boy" like "The best thing that ever happened ta boy" and pretend it's some old, lower class Gaelic mishmash of "to" and "a." It's a stretch.

I just sing "The best thing that ever happened a boy" like "The best thing that ever happened ta boy" and pretend it's some old, lower class Gaelic mishmash of "to" and "a." It's a stretch.

There's ways to get around it and ways to talk yourself into it seeming somewhat ok, slang and whatnot sure. But nobody would have to even do that if U2 just did it the way I mentioned! It's the simplest thing, and I lose faith when stuff like this goes over U2's heads.

As for The Blackout's abysmall ned/fred, jack/zach bits.... just replace them all with the word "yeah". Sure it's not great, and redundant and lazy, but it's still MILES better than mentioning the names, which makes it sound like a fucking child wrote it. I wouldn't mind just simple "yeahs" - shallow and not great to be fair, but still less annoying and sticks out less than the fred stuff, and shows that Bono is getting into the song - much like "Hey Hey Sha-la-la" from WGRYWH.

Last edited:

That's what I initially thought he was doing, mashing "to" and "a" together into one word.

My God some of you overanalyze some things.

Honestly, I never over-analyase lyrics, but the following U2 lyrics are so damn bad that they stick out to me:

- The best thing that ever happened A boy
- Ned, Fred, Jack, and Zach
- Stop helping god across the street like a little old lady
- Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce (1, 2, 3, 14)
- Lincoln's ghost says get out of your own way

All of which are from HTDAAB onwards! Bono got silly...

“I was on the field it was out of control, I had me a beer and it was out of control” could have been a better chorus. Wait what that’s not what he’s saying??

Back
Top Bottom