First ever performance of Walk On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
I couldn't find another place to put this, so I thought I'd put it here. It's a soundboard copy of the very first public performance of Walk On, from the first show on the Elevation Tour. It really evolved from here to the end of the tour, with the way Bono sings it, the guitar during the choruses, and the breakdown with the "all that you fashion" part.

Enjoy!

U2 - Walk On (Elevation Miami) *First Ever Performance, SOUNDBOARD* - YouTube

Interesting, thanks for posting.

The verses aren't very exciting they way they did it here. Also, Bono's voice is shot. Which is understandable after a full night of singing after a 3-year hiatus.

I love the "40" snippet btw.

Thanks for sharing!

-the absence of guitar fills is really obvious to someone raised on the more evolved live versions
-I guess Bono's 'spiritual rap' skills improved significantly? (see: MoS Rose Bowl DVD)

-agreed. 40 to the tune of Walk On was beautiful

Great thanks for sharing! I wish i was old enough to go back then...:D I hope they open another tour here in Miami or Florida! :D

My mom went to Elevation and Vertigo here in Miami! Im still giving her shit for not taking me :madwife: :lol: :lol:

I LOVE this version, specially the "all that you fashion" part, I wish it could be this way all the time

plus, the '40' snippet... beautiful

I'll upload in any requests.

Elevation / Creep (snippet)
Beautiful Day
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Gone
Discothèque / Devil Inside (snippet) / Love To Love You Baby (snippet) / Staring At The Sun (snippet)
New York
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Could You Be Loved (snippet) / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)
Sweetest Thing
In A Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet)
Psalm 116 (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways / Sexual Healing (snippet)
The Fly

Bullet The Blue Sky / Whole Lotta Love (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet)
With Or Without You
One
Walk On / 40 (snippet)

LOVE Elevation tour versions of Walk On. Don't know why, but it seemed quite flat and dead to me on the 360 tour.

Pre 9/11 Elevation tour was pretty awesome. Afterwards, not so much!

LOVE Elevation tour versions of Walk On. Don't know why, but it seemed quite flat and dead to me on the 360 tour.

Pre 9/11 Elevation tour was pretty awesome. Afterwards, not so much!
This x10. I think the main reason 360 versions were inferior was because of the lack of the (necessary) second guitar.

I personally like the "Hallelujahs" WAAAY better than the "Halle halle"s, which were added after 9/11. I've heard that "Halle halle" in many songs, and it sounds so awful to me.

I think I'm gonna upload Discotheque next. I'll be right back...

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask here:

on the album version, is it Bono who says at the start "and love is not the easy thing... the only baggage that you can bring... is all that you can't leave behind"? Do they overdub Bono doing the "ohhowhoawhoawhoa" bit?

At first I thought it was Edge who talked while Bono did the "ohhowhoawhoawhoa" bit. You know how alike they can sound :D

No, that's definitely Bono at the beginning of the song with Edge in the background. They do sound alike but after a while you can tell their vocals apart fairly distinctly. :)

thanks, it was interesting to hear them finding their feet with the song in a live setting... i do love the Elevation era version of Walk On - i saw them in the summer pre-9/11 and it was immense! the Tribute to Heroes version was amazing too, epic in fact... :heart:

thanks, it was interesting to hear them finding their feet with the song in a live setting... i do love the Elevation era version of Walk On - i saw them in the summer pre-9/11 and it was immense! the Tribute to Heroes version was amazing too, epic in fact... :heart:
The Tribute to Heroes version was great, but because of the passion. The Slane Castle version was really the peak of the song live, with passion and performance.

All around i agree, but on the flip side the run of new york shows in October were utterly amazing.

X2

I've seen all but 2 shows in the tri state area since 97' and the October 24th show- the first one in NYC since 9/11 was absolutely unreal. SBS and Streets blew the roof off.

(The mindbogglingly awesome 360 show on July 25th comes in 2nd place)

360 killed Walk On. I used to love it, now it's unlistenable. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom