Final Results: Rate the Song Series, 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I have finished tabulating the final results for Interference's late 2011-early 2012 Rate the Song series! If you are just interested in seeing the results for the songs ranked by their mean scores, scroll down; they are in the post below this one. However, there is much more detail available in the full results packet, available here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39648082/u2ratethesong2012.pdf

The winner of this contest (by mean), not particularly surprisingly, is Where the Streets Have No Name. The loser, in 214th place, is Drunk Chicken/America. A total of nineteen songs had scores of nine or above, while only six songs had scores of five or below. The average song's mean rating was a 7.3024362828 (though keep in mind that these scores have no intrinsic meaning whatsoever).

In the results packet, you will find references to the "reliability rating" of songs; in fact, there is a list of songs sorted in order of their reliability ratings. This is something that I devised to try to mathematically gauge… well, how reliably a song is liked. The goal of this metric is for a song with two votes, a 7 and a 9, to be less well favored than a song with just two 8s. It rewards consistency. The next paragraph will describe how I calculated reliability. Feel free to ignore it.

To calculate reliability, I first squared the standard deviation of each song. I did this to help correct for outliers. By squaring the standard deviation, smaller changes in standard deviation were magnified less than larger changes. As the maximum standard deviation under this was 5, squaring that left me with a number somewhere between 0 and 25. I then divided that by 25, leaving me with a number between 0 and 1. And then I added 1, leaving me with a number between 1 and 2. This number is a monotonic transformation of the standard deviation function (i.e., if you rank songs by standard deviation, and then by this number, your rankings will be identical), scaled to be between 1 and 2, and modified so that a few people dissenting from a large majority of people voting in one way (statistical outliers) is punished less than people in general voting all over the place. I call this number the adjusted standard deviation. I calculated (or rather, the computer calculated) songs' reliability ratings by dividing their mean scores by their adjusted standard deviations, so a song can lose anywhere between none and half of its mean rating dependent on its standard deviation. I basically created this formula as an experiment. Don't pay too much attention to it or its results. However, I am curious what people think of the rankings produced by "reliability". The formula was more-or-less arbitrarily chosen by me, so I'm not sure it and its results deserve too much emphasis.

Okay, enough with reliability. I would really like to thank everyone for participating in this. :) I seriously had a lot of fun doing it, and I hope that it helped make Interference a little more interesting during this time of utterly nonexistent U2 news. This is something that I would not at all mind doing again at some point. However, I think that it would probably be best for someone new to run any new song rating or voting contest in the near future. I tended to have a fairly strong voice on running this contest, and it's good to have a bit of diversity (I don't want everyone getting sick of me!). Later this year, it may be fun for someone to run a song survivor series. But once again… thank you to everyone for making this a fun contest.

Enjoy. :) Again, the most important results (songs ranked by mean rating) are below.

All songs, sorted by mean (actual numbers and much more are in the results packet):

1) Where the Streets Have No Name
2) Zooropa
3) The Fly
4) With or Without You
5) All I Want Is You
6) Bad
7) The Unforgettable Fire
8) Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
9) Until the End of the World
10) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11) New Year's Day
12) A Sort of Homecoming
13) Gone
14) One Tree Hill
15) Lemon
16) City of Blinding Lights
17) Love Is Blindness
18) Running to Stand Still
19) Beautiful Day
20) Moment of Surrender
21) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
22) Pride (In the Name of Love)
23) Your Blue Room
24) Zoo Station
25) Acrobat
26) Please
27) Lady with the Spinning Head
28) Miss Sarajevo
29) Sunday Bloody Sunday
30) No Line on the Horizon
31) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
32) Mofo
33) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
34) One
35) Even Better Than the Real Thing
36) Mysterious Ways
37) Kite
38) Slug
39) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
40) Discothèque
41) Promenade
42) Love Comes Tumbling
43) Fez – Being Born
44) Red Hill Mining Town
45) So Cruel
46) Stateless
47) Mercy
48) Drowning Man
49) 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
50) In God's Country
51) The Electric Co.
52) Gloria
53) Do You Feel Loved
54) Desire
55) Spanish Eyes
56) Electrical Storm
57) Heartland
58) Magnificent
59) Out Of Control
60) Wake Up Dead Man
61) Exit
62) Last Night on Earth
63) Starting at the Sun
64) Bullet the Blue Sky
65) Angel of Harlem
66) Breathe
67) Walk to the Water
68) Tomorrow
69) North and South of the River
70) Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1
71) October
72) Dirty Day
73) Hawkmoon 269
74) Vertigo
75) God Part II
76) Walk On
77) No Line on the Horizon 2
78) Cedars of Lebanon
79) Wire
80) The Wanderer
81) Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
82) Mothers of the Disappeared
83) When I Look at the World
84) The First Time
85) I Will Follow
86)Soon
87) Holy Joe
88) If God Will Send His Angels
89) I'm Not Your Baby
90) Always Forever Now
91) White as Snow
92) “40”
93) Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
94) Down All The Days
95) If You Wear The Velvet Dress
96) Unknown Caller
97) Slow Dancing
98) Like A Song...
99) Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
100) Indian Summer Sky
101) An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
102) Original of the Species
103) Oh Berlin
104) Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
105) Miracle Drug
106) A Celebration
107) She's a Mystery To Me
108) Theme From Let's Go Native
109) Numb
110) Two Hearts Beat As One
111) Beach Sequence
112) The Three Sunrises
113) A Day Without Me
114) MLK
115) Xanax and Wine
116) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
117) Salomé
118) New York
119) Hallelujah Here She Comes
120) Deep in the Heart
121) Native Son
122) Fast Cars
123) Silver and Gold
124) Shadows And Tall Trees
125) Elvis Presley and America
126) A Man and a Woman
127) Disappearing Act
128) Levitate
129) Surrender
130) Another Time, Another Place
131) Smile
132) Love and Peace or Else
133) Heaven And Hell
134) Blow Your House Down
135) Rejoice
136) Summer Rain
137) Bass Trap
138) Saturday Night
139) Winter
140) In a Little While
141) Window in the Skies
142) Scarlet
143) Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
144) One Minute Warning
145) Sweetest Thing (new version)
146) United Colours
147) Endless Deep
148) Boomerang II
149) Elevation
150) Touch
151) Twilight
152) Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl
153) Some Days Are Better Than Others
154) Crumbs from Your Table
155) Always
156) Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
157) Trip Through Your Wires
158) Seconds
159) I Fall Down
160) One Step Closer
161) Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
162) Van Diemen's Land
163) Babyface
164) Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
165) The Playboy Mansion
166) Stories For Boys
167) Flower Child
168) Plot 180
169) Where Did It All Go Wrong?
170) Yoshino Blossom
171) Another Day
172) I Threw A Brick Through A Window
173) 4th of July
174) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
175) The Ocean
176) Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
177) Sweetish Thing (original version)
178) Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
179) Yahweh
180) A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
181) Get on Your Boots
182) Stranger In A Strange Land
183) Fire
184) The Hands That Built America
185) Boomerang I
186) With A Shout (Jerusalem)
187) Near The Island
188) A Different Kind of Blue
189) When Love Comes To Town
190) Theme From The Swan
191) Things To Make And Do
192) Wild Honey
193) Miami
194) All Because of You
195) Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
196) Love You Like Mad
197) Love Rescue Me
198) Speed Of Life
199) Peace on Earth
200) Big Girls Are Best
201) Angels Too Tied To The Ground
202) Is That All?
203) Red Light
204) Grace
205) Rise Up
206) Boy/Girl
207) Desert of Our Love
208) The Refugee
209) Stand Up Comedy
210) Viva Davidoff
211) J. Swallo
212) Ito Okashi
213) Elvis Ate America
214) Drunk Chicken/America

Excellent work on this series, Dig. :up:

Thanks for helping keep things entertaining...and, um, interesting, around here. :)

(PS...I won't pretend to understand anything you said in the 4th paragraph)

Wow, really interesting results and put together very nicely! Great work, digitize! :applaud:

I was quite surprised about some of the songs in the bottom. Songs such as The Hands That Built America, Rise Up and Yahweh that I personally love are in the bottom part of the list. Always interesting to see how opinions can differ so much. :hmm:

I was completely ignoring these polls at first, and while I don't think I ever actually cast a vote, I did eventually join the fun and enjoyed entering the fray.

Well done! :)

Poor Drunk Chicken :lol:

stock-vector-vector-drunk-chicken-9443701.jpg

Stand up comedy seems to be super hated as well.

Drunk Chick is the most hated U2 song, while Streets is the most loved, with The Fly coming in at a solid third. And damnit, THTBA didn't make it into the top twenty, or even top 100 :grumpy:...j/k.

Well played Interference.

I feel bad for Drunk Chicken/America. I remember I immediately regretted giving it a low score when I did. It's unique in U2's catalogue, and is not really even a song.

Dig, is it too late to change my score to a 10? I want to knock it out of the bottom spot.

Great job, Digitize- thanks for doing this. Really a lot of fun. I made a point (as often as I could) to really listen to each song as we were voting so I could give it a fair vote, and have to say it really reconnected me with some of the songs that I'd previously forgotten or discarded, or didn't even know about to start with. The results are very interesting- and the top 20 is a pretty fantastic playlist!

Zooropa at no. 2? :shocked: Well who'd have thought that would happen? And One Tree Hill at 14. :heart: I really like the top 20. Most of my favorite U2 songs (except Original of the Species, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, and Staring At The Sun) are in it!

Thanks for making the final list and running the entire poll, Digitize! Even if I missed out on most of the first half, it was fun. :)

I feel bad for Drunk Chicken/America. I remember I immediately regretted giving it a low score when I did. It's unique in U2's catalogue, and is not really even a song.

Agreed. I'd rather listen to it over Stand Up Comedy or Crazy Tonight, to name two recent embarrassments.

Also, I got a little laugh out of Beautiful Day only getting to 19. I thought everyone was creaming all over it in that thread. It doesn't hold a candle to their truly epic and innovative tracks.

Thanks digitize! You went overboard! It was good fun. I'm glad to see Streets is still our #1.

Interesting to note that the three most-voted for songs were NLOTH, MoS and Mofo.

The top 20 is indeed spot on, in my opinion. Zooropa is my second favourite song, after Streets, so I am happy to see so many feel the same. I have said it before, but thanks again digitize! :up:

Back
Top Bottom