Final Results: Rate the Song Series, 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one was.

Why wasn't One in there somewhere? It placed 34th, and there are far more than 34 available slots on that comp.

I'm assuming the compilation included the seventeen highest-rated songs from each era, except for the nineties, which only had sixteen songs (for time reasons)... and One was in seventeenth place within the nineties.

Guys, we should totally do a new poll where our voting criteria is based on what we think casual fans would say instead of our own opinions!

Guys, we should totally do a new poll where our voting criteria is based on what we think casual fans would say instead of our own opinions!

"casually rate the song"? "rate the song's sales"?

But how would we vote for what the casual fan wants? C'mon guys, there's no way we'd actually know that. We're the Hive. We're so detached from reality, we don't know what's normal anymore.

But how would we vote for what the casual fan wants? C'mon guys, there's no way we'd actually know that. We're the Hive. We're so detached from reality, we don't know what's normal anymore.

We just need to invert our ranks, of course. Obviously, the real world prefers Drunk Chicken/America, Viva Davidoff, and Red Light to Streets, With or Without You, and All I Want Is You.

Yeah and that snoozefest Zooropa. Who the fuck cares about that but some idiots that call themselves fans?

If it wasn't for the Hive, I never would have heard of this song, much less have it in my top 5..:wink:

Yes, heaven forbid that U2's best selling album (by far) be the most represented on a compilation release! It's madness I tell you, madness!

All such releases by U2 should, of course, by determined by Interference polls. That way that no matter what, they're assured that at least 75 people will buy them.

I'm truly fascinated by your fascination with the outside world's opinion of U2 songs. You realise no one else on this forum gives even the slightest fuck, right?

Rateyourmusic's U2 top 5:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
4. Where The Streets Have No Name
5. One

This is what casual fans think the best U2 songs are. This is an uneducated opinion, one I'm glad I no longer have to share.

LemonMelon said:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
5. One

This is what casual fans think the best U2 songs are. This is an uneducated opinion, one I'm glad I no longer have to share.

But it's so correct!!

LemonMelon said:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
5. One

Pssshht- bunch of crap songs. What do the casual fans know?
:wink:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
5. One

This is a good representation of my top 5 U2 songs when I was just becoming a fan... then I heard shit like 'Zooropa' and 'Achtung Baby'.

I couldn't really fault a diehard fan if their top 5 were the same as that rate your music list. Those songs are excellent.

This whole diehard vs. casual fan thing is stupid.

I also couldn't fault them for reflecting ours.

It IS stupid. Insipid. The dumbest shit on earth.

It may not have occurred to some of you that a casual U2 fan -- who thinks, say, "One", is better than "Stateless" -- is more musically aware and knowledgeable than you are. Further, it is indeed conceivably possible to not give a shit about U2 whatsoever and still be very intelligent about music and have extremely high and refined taste.

I know this revelation will cause degrees of shock to members of this forum, but I felt it was best to get this out of the way. Remember, therapy is available.

If you think Vertigo is better than Stateless, it's a safe bet that you have no musical knowledge/training. Or perhaps you need to adjust what little you have. You are also perhaps a drunk 20-something girl, which would be fine by me.

One vs. Stateless is a wash. Strange example.

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
5. One

If you think Vertigo is better than Stateless, it's a safe bet that you have no musical knowledge/training. Or perhaps you need to adjust what little you have. You are also perhaps a drunk 20-something girl, which would be fine by me.

These posts say a lot more about you than you perhaps intended.

Sometimes, I really wish music was objective. Then, when I tell people they're wrong, I'd be in the right.

:lol:

Interesting list tho lemel, can't fault people who don't know any better for preferring those songs. They are the ones you hear on the radio mostly.

:tsk: There's not one UF song on there though. So it's shit by default.

I couldn't really fault a diehard fan if their top 5 were the same as that rate your music list. Those songs are excellent.

This whole diehard vs. casual fan thing is stupid.

:up: It's not what I'd put in my Top 5 (though at least one, and probably two of these songs would be in my list), but I don't see why these songs are being used as somehow an example of the lack of "education" of some U2 fans. Every song on here is incredible. I'm don't know why some are mocking it. Well, I do know actually. It's more accurate to say there's nothing about this list worthy of mocking.

Be careful though. Stating the obvious and making sense is not always welcome around these parts.

1) Where the Streets Have No Name
2) Zooropa
3) The Fly

34) One

Predictable.

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. With Or Without You
3. New Year's Day
5. One

Some early 80's U2, some JT U2 and some AB U2. Nothing else need apply here. Good list.

Back
Top Bottom