Final Results: Rate the Song Series, 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u-mad-bro.jpg

Lady With The Spinning Head and Miss Sarajevo over Sunday Bloody Sunday? FAIL.

How low? How low must we rate this song?

There's many lost, but tell me who has won.

THE HIVE has won, folks.

Walk On at #76 is just staggering. If you held that poll like 5 years ago I'd be convinced that would be near the top of the 00's.

It didn't even get past Walk To The Water or Alex Descends Into Hell...?

Wow.

Of these results, the most interesting to me is Zooropa's placement. I'm not surprised, really, but I didn't expect it either.

It would be interesting to run this directly after the next tour and see if some rarety played during that tour places so highly.

To calculate reliability, I first squared the standard deviation of each song. I did this to help correct for outliers. By squaring the standard deviation, smaller changes in standard deviation were magnified less than larger changes. As the maximum standard deviation under this was 5, squaring that left me with a number somewhere between 0 and 25. I then divided that by 25, leaving me with a number between 0 and 1. And then I added 1, leaving me with a number between 1 and 2. This number is a monotonic transformation of the standard deviation function (i.e., if you rank songs by standard deviation, and then by this number, your rankings will be identical), scaled to be between 1 and 2, and modified so that a few people dissenting from a large majority of people voting in one way (statistical outliers) is punished less than people in general voting all over the place. I call this number the adjusted standard deviation.

My_Eyes_Are_Bleeding_Wallpaper_7q3o2.jpg

I agree. I guess we all love that song more than anyone realized. I've ranked it in my top 10 for a long time now.
I think what happened there is that I (foolishly) stated that I thought the song was merely quite good, as opposed to the all-time musical orgasm, and thence started a rush of Interference posters madly trying to out-do each other in a bid to defy me and express their undying devotion to a rather little-known and vaguely forgettable U2 song.

There's Interference for ya -- bald men fighting over a comb.

I guess, where it counts, I like these results pretty well, but God there are some very, very underrated songs here.

52) Gloria (should be top 20, right under or beside NYD)
60) Wake Up Dead Man
68) Tomorrow
73) Hawkmoon 269
84) The First Time
85) I Will Follow
101) An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart

Basically, Interference doesn't care for early U2, and that blows. Vertigo is also the most overrated U2 song, hands down. The songs it beat, wow.

However, besides that it's pretty solid stuff. Zooropa at #2 is wonderful, as is AIWIY and Stay in the top 10. That's great. Really, it's only after the top 30 that I have any complaints whatsoever, and those are pretty minuscule.

You guys should really go back and listen to An Cat Dubh and Hawkmoon again though. They're awesome.

I think what happened there is that I (foolishly) stated that I thought the song was merely quite good, as opposed to the all-time musical orgasm, and thence started a rush of Interference posters madly trying to out-do each other in a bid to defy me and express their undying devotion to a rather little-known and vaguely forgettable U2 song.

You have a lot of mirrors in your house?

;)

I guess, where it counts, I like these results pretty well, but God there are some very, very underrated songs here.

60) Wake Up Dead Man
68) Tomorrow
73) Hawkmoon 269
84) The First Time
85) I Will Follow

Basically, Interference doesn't care for early U2, and that blows. Vertigo is also the most overrated U2 song, hands down. The songs it beat, wow.

However, besides that it's pretty solid stuff. Zooropa at #2 is wonderful, as is AIWIY and Stay in the top 10. That's great. Really, it's only after the top 30 that I have any complaints whatsoever, and those are pretty minuscule.

You guys should really go back and listen to An Cat Dubh and Hawkmoon again though. They're awesome.

Yeah, I think a lot of people may just have not listened to some of those songs in a long time. But then again, most songs did average at least a 7 out of 10!

Thanks again for doing this digitize! Really neat to see the results in the end. I suppose there will always be some agreement and disagreement over the order, but everyone's individual taste is bound to be different.

I also wonder too how songs would rank after another tour and any rarities or such that might pop up there.

60) Wake Up Dead Man
68) Tomorrow
73) Hawkmoon 269
84) The First Time
85) I Will Follow

Hawkmoon is probably one of my favorite U2 songs. :up: I love it.

Acrobat at no.25??

Interference got de-hived.

Unless it was sabotage. There are people here who don't like the Acrobat Leaguers.

There's Interference for ya -- bald men fighting over a comb.

When will people just realize that a lot of us really like the song? :crack: As if it placed that high just because people wanted to vote against you.

ryancoke71 said:
When will people just realize that a lot of us really like the song? :crack: As if it placed that high just because people wanted to vote against you.

See, I've never actually heard the song Zooropa, I only gave it a 10 because some guy said it was average. I sure showed him! :lol:

Good work Digitize.

But everyone who voted Mercy highly should be ashamed. Mercy over stuff like I Will Follow??? Heartland?? RED HILL MINING TOWN??????? Give your collective hive heads a shake.

my only complaint is that Zooropa wasn't voted #1 overall considering it's my favorite song of all time.

Back
Top Bottom