Favorite Live Opener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a huge fan of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I was always underwhelmed by that song as an opener. I believe the encore was always perfect for that song.

Agreed, I always thought I was one of the few that didn't care for it opening the show. I'm not a HUGE fan of the song, but enjoy it sometimes. Opening did not sound like it worked for me. Hard to judge though as I did not attend that tour. Going on bootlegs alone. Which I skip the opening song typically on Unf. Fire boots. :shrug:

I always thought they should have opend the Unf. Fire tour with A Sort of Homecoming. Has a slow build up into a faster pace.

1. Zoo Station
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Elevation
5. Where The Streets Have No Name

The 360-tour in general didn't fare well in terms of openers (Breathe didn't work, Stingray was kinda cool but the transition to Beautiful Day was awkwardly long, Magnificent should've worked but didn't and then they for some reason tried GOYB which didn't work at all) but then they suddenly and unexpectedly blew me away with that EBTTRT-remix.

Zoo Station with the multimedia-extravaganza still beats it, but it's not that far behind. The sound, the build-up, the tempo. Just perfect as an opener.

The 360-tour in general didn't fare well in terms of openers (Breathe didn't work, Stingray was kinda cool but the transition to Beautiful Day was awkwardly long, Magnificent should've worked but didn't and then they for some reason tried GOYB which didn't work at all) but then they suddenly and unexpectedly blew me away with that EBTTRT-remix.

Zoo Station with the multimedia-extravaganza still beats it, but it's not that far behind. The sound, the build-up, the tempo. Just perfect as an opener.

What show did they open with GOYB?

It didn't open any. Breathe opened 43, Stingray 33, EBTTRT 30, Beautiful Day 3, and Magnificent 1.

The Rose Bowl DVD opened with Boots, but no actual concerts did. And for good reason. I love the Rose Bowl DVD, but I can't stand the opening "sequence". It was much better with Breathe. Also, I think it's a pretty weak performance of Boots.

And don't even get me started about the editing out of "ten inch cockatoo", even in the bonus track version of Breathe. :wink:

There was a show in South Africa where they played a Boots remix over the PA before opening with Beautiful Day. Must've gotten confused with that?

I still think Fez-Being Born would have been a mind blowing opener. Pity they never tried it, even though some fans would disagree. Can just imagine the brilliance of an opening trio consisting of Fez-BB -> NLOTH -> GOYB. Only just a dream now...

There was a show in South Africa where they played a Boots remix over the PA before opening with Beautiful Day. Must've gotten confused with that?

I still think Fez-Being Born would have been a mind blowing opener. Pity they never tried it, even though some fans would disagree. Can just imagine the brilliance of an opening trio consisting of Fez-BB -> NLOTH -> GOYB. Only just a dream now...
They never got the opening song right until the kick ass version of Even Better Than The Real Thing. I always thought opening with the trio you suggest would be great.

all-work-and-no-play.jpg

I vote for "everyone. Everyone. Everyone! EVERYONE! EVERY ONE!!!!"
:lol:

i know i still get a buzz hearing Space Oddity, Wake Up or Float On randomly on the radio! :hyper:

I would say that this would most likely work best (or only) if you liked the last (and second to last) pre-show recorded songs.

Imagine the poor fan who got multiple shows lined up and hated any of those songs!

Whoa, that's neat. I never knew that either. I wonder if there are any bootlegs or videos of that floating around.

cobl04 said:
I see what you did there.

I'm ashamed to say it, but that was actually a total accident. I suppose it may have been floating around my head in a Freudian sense, though.

Back
Top Bottom