Favorite Live DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bullet-Zooropa-Streets is junk?

Oops, forgot about that one. It's the only one that's been good. When I think of the IE segue I just have awful flashbacks to the clumsy Mother and Child Reunion thing.

Do you take Bad/40 over AIWIY?

RTSS, Please, Bad/40, and AIWIY are all incredible segues.

Every subsequent segue has been absolute junk.

I can't remember Bad/40 off the top of my head, will have to re-listen.

But yeah, it's been a real bummer to have seen them six times and not once got a knockout segue. It's been pretty much my favourite moment every time (especially at that stinker of a Brisbane 360 gig) and is still awesome, even when Bono's doing his best Rob Sitch doing Bruce McAvaney impersonation over the intro, but can't imagine how powerful it'd be live with a good segue.

It's the one tour I've missed since being old enough to go see concerts. :( Still kicking myself.
It was the first tour after I got way into the band, and my mom gave me such a sad look when telling me she couldn't possibly afford to take me. I wish I'd known about the South Bend show at the time. It never crossed my mind to see if they were playing somewhere other than Chicago, because that one may have been more doable.

Yeah, if I hadn't forgotten that entirely I would've given it a nod.

Perfection
1. RTSS/Streets
2. Please/Streets
3. Bad/40/Streets

Very good
4. AIWIY/Streets
5. Bullet/Zooropa/Streets

Yeah sure whatever
60. MLK/Streets

No
700. One/Streets

Definitely not
8,000. Mother and Child Reunion/Streets

What the fuck
90,000,000. Pride/Streets

Anyone know if any JT 2017 shows were taped for a possible DVD release?

I'm still waiting for a 3D Blu Ray release of U2:3D... it's the only reason I bought a 3D tv! :wink:

Yeah, if I hadn't forgotten that entirely I would've given it a nod.

Perfection
1. RTSS/Streets
2. Please/Streets
3. Bad/40/Streets

Very good
4. AIWIY/Streets
5. Bullet/Zooropa/Streets

Yeah sure whatever
60. MLK/Streets

No
700. One/Streets

Definitely not
8,000. Mother and Child Reunion/Streets

What the fuck
90,000,000. Pride/Streets

Agree on some points, but totally disagree with the Pride/Streets assessment. Maybe it looks bad on paper, but in person on TJT tour last year, hearing 60,000 people singing the "Oh oh oh, oh oh oh" outro of Pride as the band walks up the catwalk and the giant 4K screen lights up for the first time with the organ of Streets kicking in...total goosebump moment. I don't know how anyone could think this is worse than the Mother and Child Reunion segue.

IMO, Please --> Streets is the absolute pinnacle of U2 live moments and should be a step above perfection, whatever that would be. Something so perfect just can't be lumped into the same category as the others, which are both amazing as well.

I can't really remember if it was the segue the whole tour, but I did like Amazing Grace --Streets on 360. It did the job, but was largely forgettable.

Odd to see so many people mentioning Boston. It's my least favorite tour, and for one of my least favorite albums. I don't think Bono was in particularly fine form at the time, either. There's some great stuff like The Fly and Bad but overall I go back to this one the least.

Vertigo by comparison has Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (which trumps Out of Control or I Will Follow), Running to Stand Still (thankfully instead of WOWY), and both The Fly AND Zoo Station. Plus it closes with 40, unlike Boston or Slane.

I was on the front rail in front of Edge when the Vertigo DVD was filmed. It was a huge thrill being front row thanks to the lottery system, but the whole performance seemed seemed mechanical and that they were doing their best to rawk out. Of course it's all personal opinion and personal experience, but even though Bono's voice was ragged during the Elevation Tour, being there felt like the transcendent "going to church" feeling that U2 is so known for. I personally didn't get that out of Vertigo.

My biggest complaint about the Chicago DVD--cutting Vertigo x2. I know it gets shit here and as usual "looks bad on paper" to setlist complainers, but it absolutely brought the fuckin house down. It would also be nice if they didn't cut Party Girl, but it was absolutely butchered by the fan brought on stage the first night of filming but was much better on the second night.

Agree on some points, but totally disagree with the Pride/Streets assessment. Maybe it looks bad on paper, but in person on TJT tour last year, hearing 60,000 people singing the "Oh oh oh, oh oh oh" outro of Pride as the band walks up the catwalk and the giant 4K screen lights up for the first time with the organ of Streets kicking in...total goosebump moment. I don't know how anyone could think this is worse than the Mother and Child Reunion segue.

IMO, Please --> Streets is the absolute pinnacle of U2 live moments and should be a step above perfection, whatever that would be. Something so perfect just can't be lumped into the same category as the others, which are both amazing as well.

I can't really remember if it was the segue the whole tour, but I did like Amazing Grace --Streets on 360. It did the job, but was largely forgettable.

Thought the Pride/Streets segue from The Joshua Tree was phenomenal from the videos I've watched. I like how the segue is left to the crowd rather than a blend of two songs into one as they make a clean break from the intro and into the meat and potatoes of the show. I watched a fan video on YouTube from the Rome show last July of that moment and it's perfect. When those synth organs descend and the massive screen comes to life with the whole stadium illuminated in red it's a genuinely spine tingling moment. The cheers from the whole crowd as the moment progresses is awesome - you really sense the surges in emotion and excitement. Sometimes they don't always get it right - some may disagree but introducing it by way of blunt political imagery like on I&E and Vertigo tour kind of kills the aura of that moment - but when they get it right it is the most perfect moment in live music.

Gutted I never got to see them on that Joshua Tree Tour. I think I'd be overwhelmed by that moment and cry!

I believe they filmed one or two South American shows on the JT 30 tour, so hopefully a DVD is coming.

Re Elevation:

I moved here in 2000 for a guy. He was a big U2 fan. In 2001, I knew it was time to break up. I also knew he had tickets to the Vancouver show .... but I couldn't bring myself to stay with him, because it would have just been for the tickets, and the guilt would have been awful.

He later told me he wouldn't have cared. I doubt that highly, but DAMN IT. Shoulda gone with him anyway.

let's not forget how utterly horrendous was the Amazing Grace --> Streets segue on 360*. Fucking terrible. Almost as bad as Mother Child.

*Use with caution, my opinions are bad.

let's not forget how utterly horrendous was the Amazing Grace --> Streets segue on 360*. Fucking terrible. Almost as bad as Mother Child.

This caught my attention, because I loved the AG to Streets segue.

Though honesty, I don't think I loved it at first because the song (AG) has no real meaning or purpose for me. But something about the way Bono sings "was lost . . but now . . I see," as the intro to Streets slowly cranks up like a rusty squeezebox*, itself sounding world weary of the message of hope it's bringing in the face of it all.

*(metaphoric language freely borrowed from the film Amadeus)

I thought Pride-Streets worked a lot better than Speech/Mother and Child Reunion-Streets. Neither are as good as Bullet-Zooropa-Streets tho.

I was on the front rail in front of Edge when the Vertigo DVD was filmed. It was a huge thrill being front row thanks to the lottery system, but the whole performance seemed seemed mechanical and that they were doing their best to rawk out. Of course it's all personal opinion and personal experience, but even though Bono's voice was ragged during the Elevation Tour, being there felt like the transcendent "going to church" feeling that U2 is so known for. I personally didn't get that out of Vertigo.

My biggest complaint about the Chicago DVD--cutting Vertigo x2. I know it gets shit here and as usual "looks bad on paper" to setlist complainers, but it absolutely brought the fuckin house down. It would also be nice if they didn't cut Party Girl, but it was absolutely butchered by the fan brought on stage the first night of filming but was much better on the second night.

Well first off, I thought it was common knowledge that the shows that get filmed aren’t usually the best ones. All of us can only speak from experience. I saw 3-4 Elevation shows and 4 Vertigo ones, if memory serves. And I can say for me that the last Vertigo show I saw, in Los Angeles, when they closed with Bad leading into People Have The Power with a singalong, was the best U2 show I’ve personally attended since Popmart in Boston (Foxboro).

But of course, I much prefer The Bomb to ATYCLB, and the setlists favoring new material obviously makes a difference in which shows/tour I’d be more partial to—I think Vertigo Chicago has 8 new songs on it?

Last edited:
I believe they filmed one or two South American shows on the JT 30 tour, so hopefully a DVD is coming.

Re Elevation:

I moved here in 2000 for a guy. He was a big U2 fan. In 2001, I knew it was time to break up. I also knew he had tickets to the Vancouver show .... but I couldn't bring myself to stay with him, because it would have just been for the tickets, and the guilt would have been awful.

He later told me he wouldn't have cared. I doubt that highly, but DAMN IT. Shoulda gone with him anyway.
Probably the JT40 release.

Is it me, or was POPMART Mexico shot with a different kind of camera or film? It seems hazy or slightly blurry.

Since PopMart Mexico was originally a live TV broadcast, it wasn’t shot on film, but with video cameras. And it was common at the time to add a digital filter to TV footage that would make it appear more “film-like”, which really just made it look fuzzier.

Since PopMart Mexico was originally a live TV broadcast, it wasn’t shot on film, but with video cameras. And it was common at the time to add a digital filter to TV footage that would make it appear more “film-like”, which really just made it look fuzzier.

Interesting. I remember watching it on Showtime live at a friends house and disappointed it was a bit fuzzy. ZooTV was sharp and clear.

This caught my attention, because I loved the AG to Streets segue.

Though honesty, I don't think I loved it at first because the song (AG) has no real meaning or purpose for me. But something about the way Bono sings "was lost . . but now . . I see," as the intro to Streets slowly cranks up like a rusty squeezebox*, itself sounding world weary of the message of hope it's bringing in the face of it all.

*(metaphoric language freely borrowed from the film Amadeus)
I think the Amazing Grace to Streets transition worked not because it was so good, but because the last version of Streets we got was on Vertigo, which was the worst Streets ever.

I don’t care for Lemon and think that the ZooTV With Or Without you was crap but the transition from Lemon to With or Without you was brilliant and one of the most amazing.

As for Streets......bad/40/Streets and ATWIY/Streets and Please/Streets are all perfection.

Mother Daughter Reunion/Streets was an embarrassing mess and I put that on my list of the “Songs of....period” garbage/ridiculous decisions. This band went from super cool (2011) to borderline embarrassing (2014 forward) very quickly.

I go back and forth between Slane and ZooTV. Oh and the four-song-excellence on Popmart - I frickin LOVE "Gone", "Even Better Than the Real Thing", "Last Night on Earth" and "Until the End of the World" in a row.... depends on the mood.

Speaking of which... I really hope they do a JT one - with an extra that is just the videos they had behind them during the screen. The ones for One Tree Hill and Streets are just.... gah. Especially because I've been to the Mojave Desert....

Yeah, they should really drop the John Cage remix of Streets on this tour. Totally doesn't work.

(Feel free to substitute "John Cage" for "Marcel Marceau" if you prefer.)

I hold an opposite opinion to this.

I would imagine most people in this forum would agree with you but it’s just my tastes.

Zooropa was the first U2 album I counted down the days until release and bought on my own(all others were well after release). It just didn’t sync with me. I love the chiming guitars and soaring anthems of 80s U2. The live With or Without you of ZooTV (Zooropa version)was missing all that I love about the song.

So this is the thread where the fans of Pride/Streets finally come out of the woodwork, huh? Took you all long enough.

That segue was an unmitigated disaster, all the more insane in 2017 because Pride broke up what we already know is a god-tier segue, Bad/Streets. It just did not work one bit in either 2005 or 2017. There is nothing whatsoever about the end of Pride that leads into Streets, and trying to manufacture some awkward crowd chant as Pride fades out and the organ of Streets comes in is one of the dumbest ideas this band has ever had.

It is, without question, the worst segue U2 have ever attempted live - except, perhaps, for the whiplash into Best Thing on the current tour.

I saw two shows and don't even remember it being a segue, so it obviously didn't leave much of an impression on me. From my memory the song stopped and then during the cheering they walked back up the ramp to the red screen. Streets starting was phenomenal, but I have no memory whatsoever of a good segue from Pride. Don't think they ever really nailed that opening. Dropping ASOH was a travesty and so on night two it just kind of felt like this perfunctory thing.

I'm also very glad I caught the tour early on enough that Bad was in the encore, not at the start.

Back
Top Bottom