Favorite/Least Favorite Album Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best: Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree (not the NA one though)
Worst: SOI, Bomb, NLOTH (I don't know why everyone likes this one so much, it's so dull)

U2 needs to go back to color, this is now 4 albums in a row with too many b&w pics, not enough color.

Best: Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree (not the NA one though)

Worst: SOI, Bomb, NLOTH (I don't know why everyone likes this one so much, it's so dull)

U2 needs to go back to color, this is now 4 albums in a row with too many b&w pics, not enough color.

JT had a separate NA cover?

You realize 2/3 of your favorite covers are b&w pics, right?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think they're referring to the squished CD cover that was used in many countries:

The-Joshua-Tree.jpg

Bono's hair was the best during the JT/R&H era. The mullet was gone. It was just nice and long. :up:

My first copy of JT was on a cassette. That one featured the non-squished album cover. :wink:

I think they're referring to the squished CD cover that was used in many countries:

The-Joshua-Tree.jpg

Yeah, that was due to formatting issues; the vinyl and cassette(I believe) version weren't altered, but the CD(a fairly new medium) was altered due to size. CDs came in a long box back then; the box artwork was beautiful, only the cd case was altered. It had nothing to do with country. *history lesson for some that may not know.

Wasn't it changed to a non-squished version on later releases?

I had forgotten about those long CD packages that they initially came in. My friend used to put them on his bedroom ceiling.

Yeah, that was due to formatting issues; the vinyl and cassette(I believe) version weren't altered, but the CD(a fairly new medium) was altered due to size. CDs came in a long box back then; the box artwork was beautiful, only the cd case was altered. It had nothing to do with country. *history lesson for some that may not know.

I bought my CD copy in 2002 and that was still squished. The remaster box, however, is the original and it's beautiful.

Wasn't the original cover of the Joshua Tree just a picture of a Joshua Tree on the LP? The band photo was on the back and if you flattened out the whole lp it became one photo. It was daring and beautiful.

The thing about October is the hilarity of the hairstyles. Bomb isn't very creative, but Adam and Larry look cool at least.

For October they were 4 fairly poor musicians trying to make a name for themselves and probably had Paul McG take the photo.

For Bomb, they are 4 filthy rich musicians that have the money to hire a creative team to really create a great cover....no excuse!

For October they were 4 fairly poor musicians trying to make a name for themselves and probably had Paul McG take the photo.

For Bomb, they are 4 filthy rich musicians that have the money to hire a creative team to really create a great cover....no excuse!

Can't really argue with that. I actually enjoy the October cover in the sense that your simply looking at an old pic from a photo album. I actually really dig the pic they used for U218. And, of course, that's in black and white.

For Bomb, I suppose the only excuse was they just said "fuck it!". :wink:

Recently, on Facebook, somebody posted a gallery of bad album covers and they all put U2 away in levels of awfulness. When someone says that a certain U2 album is the "worst ever", I just shrug it off and laugh because I have seen the worst ever.

This one has always been my favorite:
42-1.jpg

Closely followed by...
75-1.jpg

(Actually How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb isn't unlike that 2nd one...)

Yes I meant the non-squished cover is the one I like. Didn't realize it was a printing error!

Very interesting. It was never changed. I bought JT in like 2000, and still ended up with it. Just did a quick search on Amazon and both versions are still being sold. I wonder why they are still intentionally printing the stretched version? Maybe they like it? In a way it does look cool; just, the other one looks better becuase you can see the background too.

81XQ%2BkP4m1L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

I didn't say I have anything against black and white covers. I'm just saying it's time to reverse the trend. In the 80s they alternated between b&w and color until JT/R&H. Then 3 colors in a row, and now 4 b&w in a row. Just looking for some spice, that's all.

Maybe I'm bitter because I hated the last 3 covers. ATYCLB is beautiful. Bomb and SOI have gotten enough heat so you all understand. My question - why do you all love NLOTH so much??

That's funny. Plus, the majority of U2's albums have featured black and white photos on the cover.

It was even 6 and 6 after Bomb.

B&W: Boy, War, JT, R&H, ATYCLB, Bomb
Color: October, Under a Blood Red Sky (not sure if this one counts), UF, AB, Zooropa, Pop

I bought the CD of JT when I was 14 and it had the squished cover. I came across a vinyl copy with the full cover about a year later (at a church yard sale, i think) and it was mind blowing.

Unforgettable Fire features a black and white photo.

True. It's in a shade of gold though. And the maroon on the rest of the cover does add color to it (no pun intended). I think it's beautiful as well, maybe I should add it to my favorites.

I always flip flop on my fave but I think it's War.

Worst has got to be Bomb if for nothing else than Edge.

I actually think that the Atomic Bomb cover is really cool, but... I'm an uncool person, so what do I know? I'm a little biased in favor of it anyway, since it was my first U2 album.

I really have a hard time choosing favorites, but I like the Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, and Zooropa.

My least favorite is the War cover. I wasn't crazy about the UK/Europe cover of Boy, either. I like the American cover better. But there aren't any covers that I just outright despise. I think a lot of them look really good and I understand the concept behind their choices (even if I don't necessarily agree with them... I think they should have stuck with the white LP cover for SOI).

Back
Top Bottom