Favorite 10 seconds of a U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's been mentioned yet:

"Oh, the deeper I spin
Oh, the hunter will sin for your ivory skin
Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees the river laughing at you and me
Hallelujah, heavens white rose
The doors you open
I just can't close"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The WGRYWH bridge is definitely up there.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned, in Tomorrow:
He's coming back
He's coming back
O believe Him.

And then a screaming guitar.

few nominations from me

middle part of Mysterious Ways before the final chorus.
"one day you look back and you see
where you were held, how by this love
while you can stand there, you could move on this moment
follow this feeling"

this song gets shit on a lot on this forum, but I still love the guitar solo in ABOY into this:

"I'm alive, I'm being born
I just arrived, I'm at the door of the place I started out from
And I want back inside"

the double chorus after the solo in the fly, for the studio version, everything going on there is just pretty much U2 at their absolute best

same thing with this part of Gone
"I'll be up with the sun, are you still holding on?
I'm not coming down,"

also I love the "I can't stand the beats" part of Vertigo a lot.

can pretty much pick any 10 seconds of Bad or Streets and I'd be pretty content too.

"say it's true, it's true, and we can break through, though torn in two, we can be one" in NYD always gives me chills.

EDITED to add two more: "now I got a head like a lit cigarette," the 10-20 seconds around there for Cedars of Lebanon, and really to the end of the song.
When the bells/whatever instrument it is comes in during Edge's solo in Cedarwood Road.

Last edited:
this song gets shit on a lot on this forum, but I still love the guitar solo in ABOY into this:

"I'm alive, I'm being born
I just arrived, I'm at the door of the place I started out from
And I want back inside"

:up:

the double chorus after the solo in the fly, for the studio version, everything going on there is just pretty much U2 at their absolute best

Coincidentally, I listened to The Fly with headphones yesterday for the first time in ages, and I thought the same thing about this part.

The bridge into the falsetto chorus for "Please."

When the jet turbine guitar kicks in on "Mofo"

Bono belting out the chorus for "All I Want is You"

The Electric Co guitar solo

Edges slide solo on Mysterious Ways...criminal that they stopped playing it live?

Also the last few lines of One Tree Hill

Talking about album versions...

Some that come to mind now:

An Cat Dubh - outro, Adam and Edge in crescendo + sinister vocal sounds - cannot deny the intro is great as well - the half-light of sexuality while you say goodbye to innocence

Out Of Control - when the song pauses into the usual Edge's atmosphere, then Bono goes mad again

Gloria - intro

Gloria - when Adam slaps the bass, then the song explodes again - and this comes great especially live

I Threw A Brick Through A Window - "No one, no one is blinder..."

New Year's Day - intro

New Year's Day - guitar solo before the last chorus (well, "Maybe the time is right..." on the album)

A Sort Of Homecoming - No, ignore, can't fuckin' choose only 10 seconds on this one (and this will happen for many songs I won't mention)

Wire - intro

Wire - From "Any time..." to the final rampage

The Unforgettable Fire - the fuckin' intro

Running To Stand Still - the drum part going into the "She runs through the streets"

One Tree Hill - "And in the world a heart of darkness..."

One Tree Hill - instrumental break going into "I don't believe in painted roses or bleeding hearts"

Hawkmoon 269 - Bono goin' loud

Angel Of Harlem - Empty glass, the lady sings / Eyes swollen like a bee-sting / Blinded, you lost your way... etc.

Heartland - Verse before the last chorus - till "Belief goes on and on"

God Part II - When goin' loud about the singer kicking the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Even Better Than The Real Thing - The crimson sky and the pleasure in being taken higher...

Ultra Violet - Sleep on stones, whispers and moans

Acrobat - Spoken word "No new ideas in the house... etc." and the following guitar madness

Love Is Blindness - "Little death" part

Numb - just when Bono goes falsetto with his "Gimme some more (enslavement) / Too much is not enough"

Stay - (mainly lyrical, but there's also a slight crescendo) Staying in to watch the adverts and lip-synching to the talk shows

Dirty Day - From father to son

Dirty Day - Get it right / Hear what I say / Wake up (this is sung softly on 'Zooropa', while shouted on the remixes by Butch Vig...) - so great

Sorry, I'm tired. :lol: (and this is bad, because I'd like to to go on)

Last edited:
The intro until when everything kicks in in Do You Feel Loved

Sent from my U2 iPod using U2 Interference

This is a fantastic answer, wow. I'm hard pressed to disagree.

Also the intro to UTEOTW gets me every time.

At the moment it's 2:56 - 3:24 of Walk to the Water, and 30secs - 1:18 of Be There. Sorry they are more than ten seconds. I'll do better next time! :D

There are just so so many obviously, guess it all depends on the mood. And at the moment I'm chilled and missing someone :hug: so there ya go.

See the sun rise over her skin
She feels like water in my hand
Freeway like a river cuts through this land
Into the side of love
Like a burning spear
And the poison rain
Brings a flood of fear
Through the ghost ranch hills
Death valley waters
In the towers of steel
Belief goes on and on...

When Promenade goes from sleepy to vital...
And I'm like a firework, explode, Roman candles lightning lights up the sky...

The 'cherry will you dance with me' bit is pretty special too.

Or... Luminous Times...

I love you cause I understand. That God has given me your hand. Holds me in a tiny fist. But still I need your kiss.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom