Explain this one to me . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's all subjective anyway. There's a few people on here who rank Zooropa pretty highly too, although I'm not sure if it's in their '3' spot or whatever.

#3 is too low.

But yes, the ranking and writeup do not match up at all. It's like the writing and lists were done by different people.

Last edited:
Well, it's all subjective anyway. There's a few people on here who rank Zooropa pretty highly too, although I'm not sure if it's in their '3' spot or whatever.

It's not their ranking that had me scratching my head. It was their comment:

3. 'Zooropa' (1993)
Originally meant to be an EP to promote their Zoo TV tour, 'Zooropa' was eventually expanded to be a full LP. And although it was their worst record of the decade, that's more a testament to the strength of 'Achtung Baby' and 'Pop' than the shortcomings here. While this album thrives because of experimental songs like "Lemon," "Numb" and the title track, more traditional numbers like "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)," "The First Time" and "The Wanderer," the latter of which features Johnny Cash on vocals, are strong lighthouses for when things perhaps get a bit too weird.

How could Zooropa be "their worst album of the decade" in this reviewer's mind if they have POP ranked at 14?

They even go on to say "that's more a testament to the strength of . . POP than the shortcomings here."

It's a puzzler.

I would have Zooropa at number 3 without hesitation if it weren't for PoP, in which case i might have them both tied for 3rd place depending upon my mood. I love both albums and treasure the colossal mind fuck that follows a good listen as it starts to sink in and gravity is lost into the night.

I don't really want to die but when i do, if 'the wanderer' is the last song i am hearing as the soul prepares for escape, then perhaps i will be more intrigued about where i am going than fearful of what is taking place.

3. 'Zooropa' (1993)
Originally meant to be an EP to promote their Zoo TV tour, 'Zooropa' was eventually expanded to be a full LP. And although it was their worst record of the decade, that's more a testament to the strength of 'Achtung Baby' and 'Pop' than the shortcomings here. While this album thrives because of experimental songs like "Lemon," "Numb" and the title track, more traditional numbers like "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)," "The First Time" and "The Wanderer," the latter of which features Johnny Cash on vocals, are strong lighthouses for when things perhaps get a bit too weird.

How could Zooropa be "their worst album of the decade" in this reviewer's mind if they have POP ranked at 14?

They even go on to say "that's more a testament to the strength of . . POP than the shortcomings here."

It's a puzzler.

Ah, I see. Didn't catch that part, so yeah, maybe it did have something to do with different people writing it after all? :scratch:

I don't really want to die but when i do, if 'the wanderer' is the last song i am hearing as the soul prepares for escape, then perhaps i will be more intrigued about where i am going than fearful of what is taking place.

I've always imagined myself checking out while listening to MLK.

A friend of mine prefers Kite in that scenario.

I've always imagined myself checking out while listening to MLK.

A friend of mine prefers Kite in that scenario.

I guess that shows maturity. At a different age in a parallel universe i might have wanted to expire to BGAB (big girls are best, for the acronym impaired):)wink:)

3. 'Zooropa' (1993)

It's a puzzler.

So, if I'm reading this right, they praise six out of ten songs right after saying it's the worst U2 album of the decade? It's got four songs that aren't great, what a load of garbage! :lol:

But yes, the ranking and writeup do not match up at all. It's like the writing and lists were done by different people.

One can only assume.

But how odd if true.

I've seen lists and rankings made by consensus of course, but who organized a list like this allowing blatant contradictions?

Back
Top Bottom