Every Breaking Wave - has the full band version from the album ever been played live? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 180
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Every Breaking Wave - has the full band version from the album ever been played live?

I've more or less been in love with this song ever since the unfinished 2009 versions from Helsinki and Vienna were posted online, and absolutely adored the revamped version which appeared on the Songs of Innocence album. As most here will know, the "standard" live version of this song is a stripped back, piano-backed version featuring Bono and Edge singing it on their own. I'm just wondering, has there ever been an instance - even maybe a bootleg from a rehearsal before it was ditched for the tours - of the band playing the rocked-up version live, with the whole band and the electric guitar?

I would sell my soul to hear how it sounded, if indeed it was ever done. Searching online is quite difficult because looking for the full band version turns up page after page of covers (my own included!) and as such finding out if and when U2 themselves played the full version in any kind of live setup seems to be next to impossible.

I'm inclined to take this as an indication that such a recording doesn't exist, and even potentially that such a performance has never happened, but can anyone here confirm whether or not this is true?
__________________

hatrickpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 67,371
Local Time: 07:55 AM
Don't think it ever happened.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 716
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Nope, it’s always been the acoustic arrangement. I wondered whether the full band arrangement would require too much on tape for them to be comfortable, but on the other hand they did Lights Of Home that way…
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,055
Local Time: 04:55 AM
The earlier, harder version is better anyway.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #5
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 55
Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The earlier, harder version is better anyway.
Are you referring to this one?
doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,055
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Yes. The one that actually has some energy to it and a guitar instead of that cheesy sound that replaced it.

I haven't listened to the original version since 2015 and replaced it on my custom tracklisting with this one.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 55
Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yes. The one that actually has some energy to it and a guitar instead of that cheesy sound that replaced it.

I haven't listened to the original version since 2015 and replaced it on my custom tracklisting with this one.
Really? The last 2/3rds of this track sounds really unfinished & truncated to me.

If you combined the best elements of both versions you might get something cool.
doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:49 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,055
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Must be my personal taste--EBW is my least favorite track on SOI and worse than everything on ATYCLB and Bomb (saving maybe Sometimes, another track I'm in the minority on), and I'd only put Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy below it from No Line.

I don't like Adult Contemporary U2.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #9
Refugee
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,010
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Such a great song. I rate this their best song since 'Beautiful Day'.

I like that alternate mix, above, but it's lacking some nice melodic touches after each chorus that are on the LP version. It also seems Bono isn't singing the "in love with defeat" line (or did I miss it?), which is one of my favorite lines of post-millennial U2. For these reasons, I prefer the LP version.

I've no problem with adult-contemporary U2. What I can't stand is pop-U2 and operatic-U2... Ugh.
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
An Cat Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Posts: 4,165
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yes. The one that actually has some energy to it and a guitar instead of that cheesy sound that replaced it.

I haven't listened to the original version since 2015 and replaced it on my custom tracklisting with this one.
I find the piano version of EBW with Bono crooning over it to be toe curlingly cheesy, seemed like they were trying to make it a song that is sung every week on X Factor.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:28 AM   #11
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,111
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Must be my personal taste--EBW is my least favorite track on SOI and worse than everything on ATYCLB and Bomb (saving maybe Sometimes, another track I'm in the minority on), and I'd only put Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy below it from No Line.

I don't like Adult Contemporary U2.
I don't hate it quite like that, but it's extremely lazy, and a pretty staid, obvious retread of With or Without You, and everything about it is overproduced.

My opinion is a lot of people here (yourself include) overrate a lot of the No Line on material because you're so desperate to like a modern U2 song, but you put these songs up against their older material and about 5% of the tracks stand up.

(Of course, you could make the opposite argument that I underrate the songs because I'm so desperate to hate them, but I'd say you're wrong.)
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,055
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
I find the piano version of EBW with Bono crooning over it to be toe curlingly cheesy, seemed like they were trying to make it a song that is sung every week on X Factor.
Indeed. It's beyond overwrought. For some reason Stuck never sounded that bad, and easily could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I don't hate it quite like that, but it's extremely lazy, and a pretty staid, obvious retread of With or Without You, and everything about it is overproduced.

My opinion is a lot of people here (yourself include) overrate a lot of the No Line on material because you're so desperate to like a modern U2 song, but you put these songs up against their older material and about 5% of the tracks stand up.

(Of course, you could make the opposite argument that I underrate the songs because I'm so desperate to hate them, but I'd say you're wrong.)
Well, I give a little more credit to Eno and Lanois and thought they legitimately captured some magic in Morocco (how much of it they subsequently jettisoned we'll never know). I understand how many would have issues with something as clunky as Unknown Caller or Breathe, though for me what's good about them outweighs the bad.

But I really don't see how people could take issue with the title track, MOS, Fez, Cedars, even White As Snow (which is quite subtle compared to EBW and uses the French Horn tastefully, and less forced vocal). Those are all impeccable and varied to my ears, from the lyrics to the instrumentation to the arrangements.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 67,371
Local Time: 07:55 AM
For whatever your opinion on the first two albums of the 2000s, they were at the very least consistent. Bomb may not flow, but it's hard to make the argument that they over thought anything.

Everything since has been a series of near misses. Songs and albums that have very high highs but ultimately suffer from their indecisions around direction.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×