Ever stop listening to U2...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glennjamin

The Fly
I am a huge diehard fan, as my Ipod will attest to lol!

But up until recently I just stopped listening to them - songs like Streets, Pride or One just didn;t do it for me anymore.

I am slowly getting back to where I was but has this happened to anyone..? Am I sick..? lol

I only occasionally listen to them at this point. I don't really have much opportunity to listen to music at work anymore, too many meetings to go to, etc. At home I do on occasion, as well as in the car, though mostly its XM radio; XMU, alt nation, or first wave (Saturday night safety dance is killer) being my favorite channels. When the occasional u2 song sneaks its way into the lineup I get chills up my spine. Looking forward to the new stuff.

I have a collection of over 1 thousand records. I go through phases. Some Friday nights it is nice to throw on some U2 and have a great listening session with a drink of choice. But I mean yeah, I can go for a while without listening to them because of my interest in new music, and other bands, Tom Waits, Flaming Lips, etc, artists that I like as much as U2.

When not listening to records I usually just hear music through my own Pandora when surfing the net on my tablet. At work my coworker who is here on Fridays will listen to her Pandora while we are working and usually she has an 80s station on and U2 songs come on every now and then.

I don't listen to them much, simply because they haven't had new stuff our for such a long time and there's so much other interesting music that I don't want to miss with my very limited time ressources. So I usually listen to all kinds of music, not necessarily U2. However, there are certain times and phases where I feel the need to pull out some U2 stuff and listen to it. I mainly listen to U2 by night or when I'm travelling, like during a longer train trip or when I'm somewhere in a hotel room and I can't fall asleep. Listening to U2 always give me a certain feeling of comfort, it's like "home" to me. But most of the time, I don't listen to U2, often for many months. Sometimes I'm starting to miss them, that's a good thing, not listening to them all the time makes me appreciate the music much more.

I used to listen to U2 every single day for like ~7 years straight but this year I find myself in your exact situation, whenever pride or w/e starts I just go meeeeh and put on another artist. Although 2 days ago I randomly heard When I look at the World and I am STILL listening to it...so it's coming back :p

I listen to lots of bands so go for long periods without listening to my favourite bands (Duran, U2, Dep Mode) and then I get back into them again and play them all the time...and then it stops for a while and the cycle begins again...usually a new album will get me back interested again

I listen to lots of bands so go for long periods without listening to my favourite bands (Duran, U2, Dep Mode) and then I get back into them again and play them all the time...and then it stops for a while and the cycle begins again...usually a new album will get me back interested again

This is usually what happens with me too (Duran fan as well!). I'll go through phases of listening to my favorite bands either fairly often or hardly at all, and then just go back and forth between them. A concert or new album release will usually put me back in the 'often' category though.

My U2 ipod has over 3000 songs on it, so no, I don't get bored. About 1000 or so are U2, all ever officially released songs plus bootlegs of various tours and shows. The rest is other artists.

If you listen to the same stuff over and over, you're likely to get tired of it. Get some variation, and even the classics may sound fresh again.

My U2 ipod has over 3000 songs on it, so no, I don't get bored. About 1000 or so are U2, all ever officially released songs plus bootlegs of various tours and shows. The rest is other artists.

If you listen to the same stuff over and over, you're likely to get tired of it. Get some variation, and even the classics may sound fresh again.

True. I know when a new album comes out I 'rediscover' them. :applaud:

Yeah, me too. Usually a new album will dominate my listening for a week to several months, depending on how good it is and how many songs I like. I'll typically find myself drawn in by 2 or 3 songs at first and play the hell out of them, then I'll open the gates for the next tier of songs that I enjoy. Sometimes it takes months or a year before I get to second or third tier songs. Some songs like One Step Closer and Grace still haven't gotten past 1 listen. I don't think I've made it past 20 seconds with Grace, actually.

Lots of music is seasonal for me. Some music is good for summer listening, then as soon as a chill hits, it loses it's fun. Same with winter into spring.

U2 has been out of season for me since the month Edge's picks came out. I put some Zooropa on in the car the other day, and wasn't feeling it. I'm sure I'll get out of U2 hibernation mode around the supposed superbowl announcement.

I can honestly say there isn't a day goes by that I don't listen to at least one U2 song. Usually comes on random on my ipod, and once one song comes on I have to dive into that album!

Earlier I was sitting in my favorite chair, in the museum room of my palace, looking out at the artifacts ive gathered from around the world. While I was sipping on different choices of ale from exotic places, one of my cats strolled into the room with his tail up in the air, he went to the back door and looked out over the grounds and watched some birds fighting over something in the cold and freezing rain. I stared at my collection of treasure ive been gifted from famous historical figures and decided to put on a playlist on my house sound system.

As the perfect cat strutted in front of me looking at me with his perfect regal gaze, I invited him to hop up into my lap, which he did and purred contently. I sipped on something Italian and pondered if my next move would be France. About this time, a song from U2 came on the system and it calmed me and my feline counterpart.

"who's to say where the wind will take you, who's to say what it is will break you. I don't know, which way the wind will blow"

Im reminded of what special things sound and feel like in those notes and verses. I could hear the voices long after the song had stopped and silence filled the vast room. A candle flickered in the corner because I wanted it to, but it was somehow appropriate.

I might get spooked easy at times, but im not on anyone's leash, instead floating above and looking down at what might have been made for you and me.

walking-dead-governor.jpg

I have a 3 hour round-trip daily commute to work so listen to at least 15 hours of music each week. Usually a lot more. My iPod has over 10,000 songs including everything ever recorded by U2, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Springsteen, Placebo, The Cure, Manic Street Preachers and more.

But I go through phases where I listen to one artist for days on end - especially if an artist has new music, then I drag out their back catalogue.

So I might have a dozen "U2 weeks" each year but starve myself of them in between.

I haven't listened to very much U2 in the last few years, but with the album coming out in April I plan on revisiting their entire catalog chronologically soon. I usually do each album for 3-4 days.

I have not really had deep listens in a long time. They been inactive for too long and sometimes that can affect listening. I've been way into Madonna. She is threating to take their "spot" away. And apparently when it comes to managers it already happened lol.

I stopped listening to them completely from mid-1995 to early 2001.

Again, since about 2008, I've not often listened to them. But when I do, it's enjoyable.

I go through phases where I listen to one artist for days on end - especially if an artist has new music, then I drag out their back catalogue.

So I might have a dozen "U2 weeks" each year but starve myself of them in between.

I'm the same way. :up:

I spent 20 years in limbo with the band. And I was a die-hard fan from the mid-80's. I did a lot of traveling to see the band between '86 and 92. But Achtung Baby and ZooTV came around and I just didn't get it. Zooropa and Pop were also just too out there for me at the time. I was aware of their releases which I did purchase but it didn't have the same effect on me. Tours came and went. Didn't go. Could've but chose not to. It would never live up to what my experience was from seeing the Amnesty and JT shows. Then I just happened to do some research on You Tube to see some of the things I missed. All of those Zoo shows! It made me remember how much I loved the band and really missed their music. The AB rerelease was on heavy rotation on my Ipod~especially the Baby versions. So I slowly got back into them. Now Zoo is my favorite era from them.

So to the OP~ I dug back into their catalogue to rediscover why I became a fan. Here's a version of Bad from Chicago, 1986. It's one of my all time faves. I love the energy in this performance. It is what U2 folklore is made of. The music is so transcending and on top that they are having fun!
U2 Bad Chicago 1986 (rare) - YouTube

I stopped listening to U2s music years ago. I feel that they have changed as people and musicians. Does anyone else feel the same way??

When i listen to a U2 album, 90% of the time it's one of their 90's work that i listen to.I have zero interest in their 2000's material.As for the 80's goes,once in a while i'll play Boy or War.Not that i don't like TUF or TJT,but the songs of those records are usually the live versions that i'll listen to......But only when a tour is about to begin.

Wow, as a die hard for almost 25 years. I go through periods of time when I don't listen to them as much. Then something clicks and I go into U2 overdrive . Right now I am listening to more live tracks. My wife and I just got a 2014 Jeep Patriot. It has a mp3 CD player in it. Was thinking of making a U2 mp3 cd with approx. 100 songs.

Back
Top Bottom