Ever convert some to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac_Fly

War Child
So I was reflecting on a time when I converted a former gf U2, that is, liking some of their music.

I used to avoid playing U2 around her, then one day I thought "maybe I can convert her . . no one can resist the live version of Bad off of WAIA.

It worked.

She then listened to TUF and loved that one too (I've met a few people not typically interested in U2 but was liked TUF as a matter of fact).

She also really liked Zooropa (mainly tracks 2, 3, 4 & 5).

And POP.

And EBTTRT, after she saw and liked the video.

We broke up after POP, so I don't know if she got into any other U2 or not.

But that was progress. She never cared for the other classics like JT, War or even AB (save for the one song).

Anyone else have a convert story?

Actually the reason I love U2 is because I was converted! My brother kept on playing their music and videos all of the time. I started to gain more and more of an interest. The point that I discovered that U2 was my favourite band was my brother showing me ultraviolet on the 360 tour! Then it was kite in slane. Those songs are what officially converted me!

I think i tried once or twice over the years, with about a 50/50 success rate, or maybe i got that the other way around?

One was easy, a lover, and the other was quite a challenge. Perhaps i felt it was my duty to save their world from bad music and enter a new soul into the realm of U2. I'm quite sure it was my Godly appointed duty to do so. The only thing is i may have came off like a brainwashed Bonosucker to the person whom i wasn't able to convert. And the other thing is, it never mattered to them how *great* or glorious u2 may or may not have been, they clearly didn't give a fuck. So why did i?

It's like the island has only 3 sides and you feel sometimes your alone on this place, But you've got this great place with a wonderful view out of 3 sides. And then one day you look behind and you see the back of it is full of other inhabitants, some of which may be just like you and then others may not be so friendly.

And then suddenly you just want to be alone again, on an island all by yourself, with this wonderful view...

Last edited:
I think I converted my wife from somebody who didn't care about U2 to somebody who kinda liked them... I remember when she came with me to a 360 show, she was pretty blown away. She was mostly amazed by Bono. I remember her saying "he's really not putting on a persona, is he? That's seriously just what he's like!" Thankfully he was not very preachy that night, and kind of funny.

I took a friend of mine to the JT Tour who is an extreme casual fan. The kind that skips "Bad" while listening to the greatest hits because he doesn't know it. He seemed to like it for the most part, but Bono was especially cringe-worthy on that particular show, and I don't think my friend was converted. Can't blame him, really... Bono was pretty insufferable.

" . . I discovered that U2 was my favourite band was my brother showing me ultraviolet on the 360 tour! Then it was kite in slane. Those songs are what officially converted me!

I try to actually take someone who wouldn't normally go to a U2 show every tour. They always seem to love it. i'm hoping that counts for something.

And the other thing is, it never mattered to them how *great* or glorious u2 may or may not have been, they clearly didn't give a fuck. So why did i?

In my aforementioned case, I just wanted to be able to listen to U2 without hearing the complaining (which I got a lot of until I introduced her to Bad and Lemon -- which I then had to listen to around 1000 times each)

I managed to convert quite a few people at school/college. I used to pick my favourite songs and do 2 90minutse cassettes. Managed to convert at least one who used to passionately hate them.

I try to actually take someone who wouldn't normally go to a U2 show every tour. They always seem to love it. i'm hoping that counts for something.

I took my sister in September and she was blown away. She said something to the effect afterward of "I thought you were bringing me to a "concert." You didn't tell me it was going to be an experience!" :lol:

I don't think I've ever converted anyone, although I like to think that I have been responsible for strengthening some "casual fans" into borderline "ultra fans"

I took my sister in September and she was blown away. She said something to the effect afterward of "I thought you were bringing me to a "concert." You didn't tell me it was going to be an experience!" :lol:

The sweetest thing is when you convert your own kid. After Indy in September, he called it a "pretty sweet show." He also said he was more entertained by Muse, but U2 put on a better performance. Is he a super fan, no, but he finally saw the light!

Her: "No, I don't like U2. I think that's cute you like them."

Me: "Well, why not?"

Her: "Their songs all sound the same. Beautiful Day. Where the Streets Have No Name. That In the Name of Love song."

Me: "Oh. Okay."

Some time later, I popped in the Under A Blood Red Sky DVD

Her: "Who's that?! What year is this?"

Me: "It's U2. 1983 in Colorado."

She sits and watches.

Her: OMG. These guys are soooo.......COOL!

Thank you Under A Blood Red Sky

I converted my friend Eric into a bit of a fan. He used to talk about how much he hated U2. Thought they were too preachy and had no use for the music. I talked him into going to the JTTour show and by the 3rd or 4th song he told me "wow, this is actually pretty good" at the end of the show he was buying a tshirt.

Back
Top Bottom