Even Better Than the Real Thing: Achtung Baby's Most Unrated Track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this would probably belong in the other forum, but while we're at it, could someone explain to me the actual meaning of this song?

Somewhat misguided- and before I get the usual "music is subjective" patter let me point out a few things.

1)The whole point of the song is that it IS seedy- it's a parody of that instant-satisfaction culture in which trendy "soft drinks" play their part. Please tell me you're not one of these people who demands hearts to be worn permanently on sleeves because that is rather boring. EBBTTR- one of the greatest lines in rock music- don't knock it.

2) Blatantly pop? I would disagree. Mysterious Ways is probably more commercial and Wild Horses is certainly more pop- that is why Jimmy Iovine recommended it as a single. I wouldn't call that guitar sound blatantly pop. Nor does it sound datedas you claim- in fact the whole of AB sounds unbelievably fresh even now.

3) The live version is clearly different if you listen hard enough- the siren effect on the guitar is more pronounced and Bono sings "take me higher" in a fasletto which is the song's sleazy highlight.

So yes it is underrated. And no -it is nothing like the lyrically simple, cookie cutter rocker Elevation. That should go, EBTTR must come back!

Thanks for the ultra condescending lecture on why a EBTTR is such a wonderful song, and pointing out the irony. It such a tough song to decode, I would have been lost without your explanation. Or I got it, since its pretty obvious, and zootv was centered to a large degree around the whole idea, and i just don't like it or think its all that clever. Its certainly subjective, especially to claim that its "one of the greatest lines in rock". Give me a break, its almost as corny and trite as "stuck in a moment you can't get out of".

I like a lot of U2's less serious songs, and just about all of them are better than this one (imo). Its not that every song has to be serious, stadium anthem. Not at all. HM,TM,KM,KM is a song that would fit this category and its so much better than EBTTRT.

As for the live version, I have heard many, many times. Saw it in person, many, many times. I didn't say it wasn't different, I just said I didn't think it was any better live than the in studio. That is fairly rare for a U2 song, I think most are better live- this is just one that is not. That is why hope to never see it live again, its not any better live- so if I want to hear it (which i probably won't) I can just listen to the album version. (do i need to say imo, or can that be understood?)

I think its great that you like it and think it is so deep. I don't, and I don't like it, so what? Just don't lecture with ridiculous arguments(that are very subjective, no matter how you dress them up), and then end "yes its underrated" as if its fact.

Now, just for you I'll throw in- 'Let me point out' its U2's most overrated song ever, and should never be acknowledged by the band ever again. See how obnoxious that sounds?

Why? It is not as if Bono is some fragile sixty-five year old. I don't like reading defeatism. It's just a song, really, it's not climbing Everest.

I didn't mean it like that...just that it fits into the whole ZOO T.V feel.

I like this song. I was surprised when I heard the New Jersey '92 bootleg (East Rutherford), and this song really stood out because of how cool Edge's guitar sounded. Made me wonder if they overproduced it a bit on the album. Anyway, great track on one of the best albums ever made.

One strange moment in U2 By U2 is where Edge (I think it was him) says, " 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' is the closest we will ever get to The Rolling Stones." I thought this was odd as the song sounds nothing whatsoever like The Stones to me. But it's interesting to hear their perspectives on things like that.

It's pretty much my 2nd fave song off my favourite album. Very underrated. Probably their best video too.

Probably in my Top 10 U2 songs. I honestly don't know why, it just is! I'm hoping it makes a live return this summer.

Thanks for the ultra condescending lecture on why a EBTTR is such a wonderful song "

My pleasure- you needed it.

I think its great that you like it and think it is so deep. I don't, and I don't like it, so what? Just don't lecture with ridiculous arguments(that are very subjective, no matter how you dress them up), and then end "yes its underrated" as if its fact.
quote]

Ridiculous arguments hmmm, if music is so subjective as you say, how can my arguments be ridiculous- such a lack of coherence there. You've got to have reasons for opinions- I didn't feel yours stacked up, you've done nothing more to convince me.

Ridiculous arguments hmmm, if music is so subjective as you say, how can my arguments be ridiculous- such a lack of coherence there. You've got to have reasons for opinions- I didn't feel yours stacked up, you've done nothing more to convince me.

Just like your argument before presented no 'facts', just a bunch personal preferences. Your reasons based completely on your personal preference that is why its ridiculous (and rather obnoxious) to lecture someone else who has a different opinion that is just as subjective. you like the song and for some reason need to feel the need to lecture on why your opinion is more valid with reasons that you can't in anyway prove.

If you don't get how that is subjective there is nothing i can do to help you. :doh:

I briefly worked with someone at an animation studio who just so happened to be onset for the filming of the video. If I recall correctly, the band members were standing on a transparent glass floor and the camera was going around a big loop, or something. I don't know, she said it was pretty neat.

That's right, I think Kevin Godley named the invention he used The Wheel Thing. The camera was able to go round in circles and through the bands legs.

The live version of EBTTRT is amazing. Hope they bring it back for the 360 Tour. The live version from the first night at the Tokyo Dome in 1993 is an interesting interpretation of the song.

Zoo Station is the most underrated on Achtung.

I'd agree, if we're talking underrated, this song is definitely up there.

But anyway, i fail to see how even the most casual U2 fan is unable to get swept away by the ethereal yet hard rocking power of EBTTRT. That riff that Edge plays is up there in the top ten for me. And the middle section, that solo, played with the slide, hovering above the decadent haze boiling below it, followed by the "crimson sky" lyrics which then gives way to the euphoric chanting of "take me higher"....what the fuck?!?!?1 I'm actually dumbfounded that a U2 fan wouldn't care for this song. What gives?

(obvious answer: MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE)

Fuck that, this song should be loved by every U2 fan. What's the problem?

Meh, the crimson sky bit is probably my least favourite lyric in the song. I really don't care for this song, vocally at least, live. But musically, it rocks. Almost makes up for how repetitive it is.

how is this song any more repetitive than One, Pride, New Years Day, I Will Follow, Beautiful Day, basically....all their biggest hit songs?!

The solo's the only real change in the song, and a bit of percussion comes and goes. And the vocals are pretty plodding, with hardly any variation to the melody. Not even really much change on the lyrical bridge. Also You're the real thing x 20 is kind of boring.

What don't you like about that line?

Actually I think the only line I really like in the song is "My heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between". The sincerity of the crimson sky line doesn't really stand up against the whole 'this is superficial' vibe of the song, like the idea of a substitute being better.

Lines like 'You're honey, child, to a swarm of bees' have a bit more bite than the ridiculous image of flying.

Love this song, love everything about it... the lyrics, larry's pulsating drum beats, edge's guitar tone(has been sampled by many after him, just check out is it any wonder by Keane) but especially Adam's bassline here. Simple, yet dominant. Very high energy live.

I think it would go well right at the start of a show, and would pair up especially well with boots.

I would like to see shows start with GOYB and EBTTRT some nights and then the next night, a full band version of desire where real thing was.

The solo's the only real change in the song, and a bit of percussion comes and goes. And the vocals are pretty plodding, with hardly any variation to the melody. Not even really much change on the lyrical bridge. Also You're the real thing x 20 is kind of boring.

Actually I think the only line I really like in the song is "My heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between". The sincerity of the crimson sky line doesn't really stand up against the whole 'this is superficial' vibe of the song, like the idea of a substitute being better.

Lines like 'You're honey, child, to a swarm of bees' have a bit more bite than the ridiculous image of flying.

I guess where you're coming from is the fact that "you're the real thing" is said a bunch of times, and that's where the repetition comes into play. Cuz it's not like the music is the same the whole time. The music during the verses, during the prechoruses, and the choruses are all different. I don't find the song repetitive at all, and i think it's a perfect example of a song building towards a climax, the solo leading into the "crimson sky" part thru the "take me higher" part and the final chorus is like pure adrenaline, it just keeps getting louder, more energetic, it simmers til it finally boils. I think a song like "Pride" is way more repetitive, the music never sways from the basic chords.

As for the lyrics, I love the ones you mentioned. I guess i take your point on the sincerity of the "crimson sky" part, but i think it makes sense. It's a reference to Icarus, who was warned not to fly too close to the sun. In this song, Bono is making a statement about dancing too close to the fire. The character believes he can overcome anything, thinks he's invincible. He'll find out soon enough that the overindulgence of surface ecstacy will eventually result in an all too real disaster. Like a wake up call, he'll be left with regret and the notion that he shouldn't have lived so carelessly, whether is was with drugs or sex.

I don't think it's underated, it was used absolutely everywhere at the time,

Indeed...dunno if it's been mentioned, but the MTV awards performance (/w Dana Carvey as Garth) springs to mind.

YouTube - Even Better Than The Real Thing (ZooTV Detroit)

Zoo Station is the most underrated on Achtung.

How can a song that opened :| 50 or so concerts with a combined audience of 2 million be underrated? :huh: Not too mention it inspired the name of the tour as well as the next album.

How can a song that opened :| 50 or so concerts with a combined audience of 2 million be underrated? :huh: Not too mention it inspired the name of the tour as well as the next album.

because it seems to go constantly overlooked on this forum when people talk about achtung. the songs that seem to get all the praise are one, until the end, the fly, acrobat, love is blindness, etc. seldom is zoo station seen as being an awesome song around here and i bet to the 'casual' U2 fan too.

just because it inspired u2 to name their tour Zoo TV doesn't mean the song itself can't be overlooked or underrated. :huh: :|

My least favorite on the album. Probably the most shallow, and the least interesting from a musical perspective.

Having said that, I still like it a lot.

This is a song I rarely think about. It's good though. The Vertigo of its time.

Much like many other tracks, Good thing it wasn't written for just for you guys, I suppose. :wink:

I may as well mention that I still hear it semi-frequently during news and current affairs reports on TV. I have no idea why it's chosen, but hey, it is.

Back
Top Bottom