Emo band Paramore covers Sunday Bloody Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey everyone. Recently, I listened to Flyleaf's acoustic cover of Stay (Faraway, So Close) in an earlier thread.

Today I found a recording of Paramore's stripped-down cover of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Check it out:

YouTube - Paramore - Sunday Bloody Sunday

In case you didn't know, Paramore are an emo/pop-punk band led by an 18-year-old female singer named Hayley Williams. They're quite popular with the teen demographic.

What do you guys think? She sounds really nasal-like, right?

Has the legacy of Sunday Bloody Sunday been descecrated here?

No-Sense, these emo bands don't know whats is rock n' roll, they isn't musicians, i don't like emo bands covering rock n' roll bands.

1. Whatever you think of their version, I always find it interesting how many people seem to be incredibly offended by covers. It really bothers you that much? C'mon. I don't particularly care for Paramore's version either, however I do think it's kind of cool that a band of 20-year-olds is covering a U2 song that was released years before they were even born. Perhaps it will open up some new fans to U2's music - a 15-year-old Paramore fan was about 11 when HTDAAB came out, and probably knows U2 by little more than name. If this helps draw more teenagers to the music of U2, that can't be bad.

2. "Has the legacy of Sunday Bloody Sunday been desecrated here?" You aren't serious, right? Gimme a break.

1. Whatever you think of their version, I always find it interesting how many people seem to be incredibly offended by covers. It really bothers you that much? C'mon. I don't particularly care for Paramore's version either, however I do think it's kind of cool that a band of 20-year-olds is covering a U2 song that was released years before they were even born. Perhaps it will open up some new fans to U2's music - a 15-year-old Paramore fan was about 11 when HTDAAB came out, and probably knows U2 by little more than name. If this helps draw more teenagers to the music of U2, that can't be bad.

2. "Has the legacy of Sunday Bloody Sunday been desecrated here?" You aren't serious, right? Gimme a break.

I completely agree with this post. Too much overreacting here. The cover isn't that bad, and, though my respect for Paramore has been dwindling more recently, neither are they that bad.

annoying accent, and they all have the same haircut...

PHAIL!!!!!

dos every emo band think they get credibility by covering this? Funeral For a Friend yuck!!!!

:intensevomitingwheremyentireribcagespewsfrommymouthinonepiece:

Here's what Hayley has to say to all you haters:

HayleyWilliams.jpg

Fuck off.

I would have rather seen them cover City of Blinding lights or Drowning Man. Sunday Bloody Sunday has seen its day and many covers. However Paramore is awesome.

The Living End's cover is waaaaaaaaay better...

YouTube - The Living End - Sunday Bloody Sunday track

people need to show them some love.

Super-average band. Don't deserve to be as popular as they are. They're essentially our Green Day, people just don't realise it because they're all like YEAH AUSSIE WOO GUY WITH DOUBLE BASS.

Although I saw them at the Big Day Out once, they were pretty fun live.

Sorry if this was a repost.

Anyway, I don't mind other artists covering U2's songs. But only if U2 songs are the right songs for them.

For example, there's something about a nasal-voiced girl singing Sunday Bloody Sunday that does not sound right.:|

Also, the guitarist of this band is just playing the chords of the song, instead of doing the note-picking that Edge does.

Here's what Hayley has to say to all you haters:

HayleyWilliams.jpg

Fuck off.

tsk tsk

What an unfriendly person. :down:

Someone ought to teach her some manners, or she needs some counselling. Preferably the latter.

What has happened to young people these days, utterly disgraceful. :wink:

I actually like this cover. Most of the time people don't like a cover because it is not an exact copy of the original, I however am the oppisite. I like it when someone covers a song and adds their own twist to it, it makes it more interesting.

Sure this cover is not perfect but it's not horrible either.

My all time favorite U2 cover was Love is Blindness by Sixpence More The Richer.
I am going to get killed here but I like it slightly better then the original and I LIKED the original. Their Version is haunting.

YouTube - Love is Blindness (Music Video)

I'd say they're more of a Scene band than an Emo band, but hey, it took some people longer to figure out the difference between Emo and Goth, so that's good.

Back
Top Bottom