Elevation - Boston DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I can remember (maybe from the documentary on the DVD) the video footage of the first night was not of good quality. I believe the lighting was off (too much light???). So the reason why not much video of the first night was used had nothing to do with the performances of the songs, but how it looked.

Thanks! I would love to see it somehow though.

I don't think that was acting at all. Edge is not someone to destroy a guitar, though he is every inch a perfectionist.
Not at all. If Edge were a guitar-thrower we would have seen a lot more of that over the years, esp during the debacle of early Pop tour. Instead he's the man famous for poker-faced performance, and also for his attachment to his instruments. The idea that he'd ruin one for effect is silly. The only other violent-Edge stories I've heard were both from like 1982, and both under quite a bit of duress.

Agreed the camera work is much better here than Vertigo Chicago. I find that one almost completely unwatchable.

Was this on tv at some point? I vaguely remember the hour-long Slane special (on CBS, I think), but was there a similar special for Boston?

No, but Streets was broadcast live during whatever NBA game was going on that night. Hence Bono "throwing" that basketball.

Slane doesn't even really feel like the Elevation Tour. It's more like a one off (two off?) greatest hits festival set. Several key Elevation Tour songs were not played, like New York, IALW, Gone, The Fly, Bad. Would be nice to have a good live version of Sweetest Thing as well, with Bono on piano.
I agree with this completely, which is why I don't think it's too fair to compare the Boston and Slane shows. I love them each for their own reasons, and am just glad that we have both shows released. Some of the songs seem like very different versions despite being played on the same tour, see Walk On or With or Without You.

While many would argue that the performance in this DVD is not one of the best from the band, does anyone else love that recording??

I think the following aspects are great:
  1. Sound quality: In my opinion, this the live official release with the best sound quality. Drums are loud and in your face, unlike any other live recording. Same goes with the bass. With a decent sound systems, you really feel like you are in a live show. Salen, Vertigo Chicago, Milan, or U2 360 from Rose Bowl don't even get close in Sound Quality to this. The Sunday Bloody Sunday drum intro never sounded as powerful.
  2. Performance Gems: While the overall performance is average, there are some gems in this recording. Sunday Bloody Sunday like mentioned above sound very poweful, however I don't know how much this is due to the quality of the recording or the actual performance. Kite, Gone are also awesome. The Bad - Streets transtion is great, and they pull some of the best versions of those 2 songs.
    The Fly: The best absolute version. In your face, powerful, great rework of the some. The Elevation version in my opinion is the best, and in this performance they truly nailed it. Do you like this version, what are your thoughts?

And in all I really like this DVD, and in my opinion, its strongest point if the great mix and sound quality, something that even the most recent releases have not been able to match. What are your thoughts?

I agree with you especially regarding The Fly, the best live performance of the song I've ever heard, almost as good as the original single version, which is my favourite U2 single of all time.

I agree with you especially regarding The Fly, the best live performance of the song I've ever heard, almost as good as the original single version, which is my favourite U2 single of all time.

Well I think this version of The Fly is perhaps their best live song ever. Certainly the best song captured on a video / DVD / bluray release. In short, it is devastating.

Was this on tv at some point? I vaguely remember the hour-long Slane special (on CBS, I think), but was there a similar special for Boston?

yep, pretty sure it was on tv in the UK at least - i think i taped it on vhs haha

Slane > Boston by a long shot...although I will allow that not having The Fly Gone etc on Slane is a bit of a downer.

Having said that though Elevation tour The Fly is my least favorite, as the song really does need Bono's guitar. To me that version is better for small venues like arenas. For stadiums, nothing tops the 360 and Vertigo tour incarnation. It's melt your face off from start to finish.

I don't get why THAT made Edge throw his guitar in anger. Like someone else said, why not opening night of popmart, with the entire world's press watching them fuck up continuously.

You'll all be happy to know that the guitar in question was repaired, and used again. He can be seen using it on EBTTRT on the 360 tour, for example. The earliest footage of him using it is in sunset studios on angel of Harlem. It appears in all tours since.

I forgot that it wasn't the complete show. They left out Mysterious Ways, One, and People get ready. I can see leaving out the cover, and it probably wasn't very good anyway, just kind of a goof with a fan onstage. Why were One and MW cut, though? 2 big hits, and you'd think between the 2 shows they recorded they could come up with one good version of each song.

Also, I love the editing during Gone. On June 5th, Edge is playing the Red Sunburst Rickenbacker, which is the one he smashes. As a result, the next night he is playing a Black Rickenbacker, which is seen for the majority of the song. But occasionally it cuts to a shot of him playing the red one.

I'm glad you brought up the editing of Gone - because that was always a pet peeve of mine...... how could they let that go like that?

Also @Nesquick - I don't believe The Edges' meltdown was "staged" at all, I was in the house for this one and he and Dallas seemed to be struggling all show.

I don't get why THAT made Edge throw his guitar in anger. Like someone else said, why not opening night of popmart, with the entire world's press watching them fuck up continuously.

You'll all be happy to know that the guitar in question was repaired, and used again. He can be seen using it on EBTTRT on the 360 tour, for example. The earliest footage of him using it is in sunset studios on angel of Harlem. It appears in all tours since.

Hmm a DVD of POPMART first night in Las Vegas April 1997 would be a great fanclub exclusive for the membership renewal this year... :crazy:

....and still better than Duals...

Hmm a DVD of POPMART first night in Las Vegas April 1997 would be a great fanclub exclusive for the membership renewal this year... :crazy: ....and still better than Duals...

Relatively high-quality pro-shot footage of the whole thing is on YouTube and U2Torrents.

Relatively high-quality pro-shot footage of the whole thing is on YouTube and U2Torrents.

When compared to later shows like Mexico City, it's really amazing how under rehearsed they were. EVERY song from POP was overhauled at some point to make better live version. Listen to Gone, Please or Last Night on earth from Vegas, and then listen to Mexico City. It's like a terrible cover band is playing. I've also listened to the 2nd show in San Diego, and I daresay it might be worse than Las Vegas! I remember being completely blown away at the Columbus show (12th Popmart show), and maybe they had gotten it together by then a little bit. Of course I was only 15 at the time, I need to hear a bootleg now.

Great DVD. Sounds fantastic. Good set. Great performance. Only thing that could top it is an indoor Zoo TV show.

You walk out into the sports hall
Lights go down
It's a whole different scene
Of light and motion
Light and motion
Lights up the motion of the sky
It's hard to walk away
You could have it all
We could have it all
We could have it all some day
But love...

:heart:

Great setlist, but even though Slane's setlist is boring I greatly prefer Slane. Helped me become a superfan.

A decent representation of the tour, though obviously it's hard for Boston to compete with Slane and U2 playing to their home crowd.

A decent representation of the tour, though obviously it's hard for Boston to compete with Slane and U2 playing to their home crowd.

This :up:

Seeing the band play for the home crowd after Bono's dad's death, the sheer emotion of the moment and while until my dad died a couple years ago, I never really "got" Kite but the song came to be an elixir to sooth me and seeing them play that song there was unbelievable. When Bono belted out "I'm a man, I'm not a child"... well just unbelievable and there's a scene they show Edge and you can see how emotional he is - what a performance and what a DVD.

Anyone know if Boston or Slane were shot in some kind of HD?

Springsteen did a concert in HD back in 2000 and Sony was trying out the format for shooting concerts as early as 1991.

Edge angry during gone is pure acting, for the show...

No. The guitar smash was from night 1, when they were only taping as a rehearsal, though some of the footage was interspersed into the DVD (most notably Gone with Edge's guitar magically changing colors). I was right in front of Edge that night he was genuinely pissed. Went over to Larry after the guitar smash and was yelling at him.

Back
Top Bottom