Edge's new home...so what.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uuu222

The Fly
Okay...so I'm a Malibu local and I also consider myself an environmentally green person. Around town there is talk of Edge causing controversy with his new home. He wants to build his dream house. Don't you guys think it's quite silly a few neighbors who live in their own dream homes are the ones crying? I've seen where he's building...there's plenty of homes like that in the neighborhood...so what!

Here's a link to the article...
Strife on the Edge: U2 guitarist condemned for �30m home branded a green disaster | Mail Online

What I have issue with in this so called piece of journalism, is that one neighbor said that Edge has spent years being environmental.

U2 have preached about many things - but the environment was not ultra-big on their list. Yes, the did Greenpeace, but more when it's a major impact (like nuclear waste), not a home. One only needs to look at their tours to see they aren't horribly environmentally concerned (which I hope they change).

Still, it is possible for Edge to have a home there that is very environmentally friendly. He could install solar panels for his electricity (and in southern CA, that's the way to go). He could leave a lot of the local flora as is. And he could ensure that dirt and debris is minimized by proper engineering. It may cost more, but that shouldn't be a big concern.

I do agree though - it seems the neighbors are more worried about their own views than anything else.

What I have issue with in this so called piece of journalism, is that one neighbor said that Edge has spent years being environmental.

U2 have preached about many things - but the environment was not ultra-big on their list. Yes, the did Greenpeace, but more when it's a major impact (like nuclear waste), not a home. One only needs to look at their tours to see they aren't horribly environmentally concerned (which I hope they change).

For what it's worth, they are purchasing large quantities of carbon offsets for this tour - I personally think that carbon offsets are a bit gimmicky, but at least they care somewhat about the effect that 122 trucks shipping a stage around that will use about as much electricity as an aircraft carrier will have on the environment.

Yeah thats what really annoyed me about all the reporting - they paint Edge and the band as some massive environmental lobbyists when they really aren't. Tbh after putting on the ZooTV and Popmart tours, the last band I want spouting environmental propaganda is U2!

Good on em though if they are trying to be more carbon-friendly on this tour.

A bunch of rich people whining and lying and trying to use the environment as the reason for their outrage...

The last article I read said The Edge was going to "level a mountain", talk about crackpot journalism...:lol:

Edge is getting all American since his marriage to Morleigh. Let's hope he puts his guitars in safe place for when the earthquake comes...

Edge is getting all American since his marriage to Morleigh. Let's hope he puts his guitars in safe place for when the earthquake comes...

Isn't that funny how The Edge is getting All-American because I remember him in the early nineties saying Americans were "so wasteful" and now he's doing a complete turn around LOL.

I'm sortof torn on this 'issue'. I believe that construction undertakings should always be conducted with a view to enhancing or improving the natural beauty of the existing landscape. I think some municipalities even demand that in the granting of permits. So while the practical side of me says 'it's his land, his money, and as long as he is operating within the law let him do what he wants'...and my general distaste for the way these people are framing it in the article....the other side of me can't help but think that the proposed design actually will radically alter the landscape, and I'm not sure for the better. Like, the amount of the hill that will be razed for instance...just how much of it? And the way the side of the mountain will be gouged out to create that 'shale' look...I dunno..it doesn't seem too pretty to me. I like alot more green but I guess he gets alot of that already lol...To each his own I guess. :shrug:

The Edge should rent out my house's guestroom for the duration of U2360 and live there.

On one hand, I have a hard time sympathizing with whiny, rich snobs in Malibu; on the other hand, Edge's building plans sound a little excessive. But, if I had as much money as him, I'd probably have dream building projects like that, too. :shrug: I'm sure Edge won't be irresponsible with whatever he builds.

On one hand, I have a hard time sympathizing with whiny, rich snobs in Malibu; on the other hand, Edge's building plans sound a little excessive. But, if I had as much money as him, I'd probably have dream building projects like that, too. :shrug: I'm sure Edge won't be irresponsible with whatever he builds.

Sorry, I don't know if you've ever been to Malibu, but 9 out of 10 folks here are not typically snobs. Most here are the enlightened, coffee drinking, art types. Rich, but not snobs. If you want snobs just visit the Orange County area (not all but you will find a great percentage there).

Sorry, I don't know if you've ever been to Malibu, but 9 out of 10 folks here are not typically snobs. Most here are the enlightened, coffee drinking, art types. Rich, but not snobs. If you want snobs just visit the Orange County area (not all but you will find a great percentage there).

No no they are spiritual, enlightened, yoga-practising, VEGETABLE-juice drinking professional celebrity-ignoring types. In my experience. :wink:

Extremely relaxed and laid-back and I doubt anyone really gaf what the Edge does or says....:lol:

(that's a knee-slapper there :huh::wink::wink::wink:)

I don't live in Malibu so maybe some people would say I have no right to comment, maybe they'd be correct in saying that, maybe they wouldn't - so what the hell I will add my $2 worth to the argument.

I am all for left of centre politics and I do whatever I can to reduce pollution and look after the environment. However if there is one thing I cannot stand, it is normal, pro-environment yet "live and let live" people being given a bad name by either environmental extremists, or by pseudo-green extremely wealthy right wing conservatives who simply use the "Environment" to either 1. look after their property values, or 2. keep "outsiders" away from their "village".

Go for it Edge, you own the land, as long as you comply with the basic planning laws, you should do whatever you want with your development. Going by the type of people that normally rally around issues like this in my country, you will find that they are an EXTREMELY noisy minority, and the vast majority of people just will not worry too much about what someone else does on their property.

More noise, and more small in number than, say, the true social movements of history eg. suffragettes, trade unions, people campaigning for the end of child labour, Russian serfs, Indigenous land rights activists and normal moderate greens etc.

The Edge: Malibu's "Least Wanted"

U2's The Edge: Malibu's Least Wanted

U2's The Edge: Malibu's Least Wanted

Josh Grossberg Josh Grossberg – Fri Apr 17, 1:32 pm ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) – You might say The Edge is having boundary issues.

The U2 guitarist's plans to build five mountaintop mansions in Malibu with fantastic oceanside views is facing fierce opposition from some famous NIMBYs concerned the homes will be an environmental catastrophe.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the proposed project would be built above homes belonging to the likes of Dick Van Dyke, Kelsey Grammer and James Cameron and would require some extensive and tricky engineering, including extension of a road down a rugged elevation, grading 70,000 cubic yards of hillside and installing water lines.

"The downside of this is a permanently scarred mountainside for the benefit of a very few that for many years all will view," Jefferson Wagner, a Malibu councilman, told the newspaper. "For somebody so revered even to be orchestrating this type of development in such a sensitive area is hypocritical."

The Edge, whose real name is David Evans, promises development on the properties will address those concerns with care.

"My family and I love Malibu, having maintained a residence here for more than a decade," he told the Times. "These homes will be some of the most environmentally sensitive ever designed in Malibu—or anywhere in the world. I'm disappointed that certain critics either don't have the facts or have ulterior motives."

The Grammy-winning Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has "certificates of compliance" from Los Angeles County establishing that the land he owns meets all legal requirements.

Edge added that he and Irish real estate investor Derek Quinlan plan to take up residence in two of the homes and most likely flip the other three, which has rankled some neighbors whose peace and quiet will be rattled by all the building.

The California Coastal Commission is expected to review the environmental impact of the project in June.

This is not the first fight Evans has found himself in with neighbors.

He and the rest of U2 came under fire in their hometown of Dublin for now defunct plans to build the so-called U2 Tower, a proposed skyscraper in the heart of the city that would've been the tallest in Ireland. Preservationists claimed the $220 million project would have resulted in the tearing down of four adjacent historic buildings.

The Edge can do whatever the hell he wants to do...if wishes to tear down a mountain he can, know why?

CAUSE HE IS THE FUCKING EDGE, THAT'S WHY!

He should replicate the Hollywood sign across the hills... make it say: "MAGNIFICENT, BITCHES".

The new article is not like this one it was merged with at all. This is not about a 'home' for Edge it's about him wanting to develop an enviormentally sensitive area with FIVE new mansions he and a developer plan to sell for profit. That's different than it just being his own residence. If it were I doubt there would be nearly as much backlash.

Would tend to agree. They seem to have got involved with Greenpeace on the specific issue of the Sellafield plant. As you say, apart from that, they have not been particularly associated with environmental issues.

One of the funniest stories from the Popmart era is when McGuinness got a call from the roadie-in-chief saying the two Andropovs weren't big enough to fit all the stuff and looking for permission to hire a jumbo.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom