Edge Haters... Back off!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the thoughtful response... I think you mean to say that is that Edge is a great guitarist and has contributed to U2's record sales. Oh and here's why he's a great guitarist.... If you want to point to an example of what makes Edge special, I think the video Cobbler posted above is a better example of what makes Edge special...

That is exactly the goal of the blog postpost and what I meant to say.

Good point about the video too! I added a video to the blog post.

This is why it's great sharing with a community like this. Other opinions and comments like this can help an aspiring blogger like me become a better writer. Nice job!

And thanks for the video post Cobbler! I never saw that one. Fun to watch. Edge has really mastered the one-string guitar solo... :D

I recall him somewhere talking about "Jamming- endless noodling on a certain chord progression" just being the epitome of boring.

The Edge... "I think of myself more as that side-man guitar player... guitar olympics... not that interesting in the end."

(Skip ahead to 4:22)

[youtube]rvCjtokR84s[/youtube]

I am not going to bicker with people who say how good or poor The Edge is.

He is on a very long list of guitar players I have seen live. He may not be at the top of my list (I do enjoy his playing), but this is a bit subjective.

Is this really something to include when listing how good you think he is?

• The largest grossing tour in music history with $736 million in ticket sales exceeding the Rolling Stones “Bigger Bang” tour by $178 million.

• 4 tours in the top 40 highest-grossing concert tours

It seems more like something to be embarrassed about.

Edge is his own genius, made of his own sonic vision, if that sonic environment didn't exist, he created it. Another notable Dave however is David Gilmour, a complete different type of guitarist than Edge, but great nonetheless.

Edge is a different kind of guitarist/musician from more common 'Rock Gods' like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, the Ray Vaughns, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallgher, etc.

First of all, most of those '60s/'70s guys began from the blues tradition. Edge is very much a product of the new wave/punk period, and he quite consciously subscribes to the idea that blues is boring and technical showiness is crap. This is antithetical to everything those classic rock guys stand for, and this explains why people like Eric Clapton, George Harrison, etc. (could add my Dad to the list) will never hear anything impressive in what Edge plays.

Second, Edge is very much a team player who views his contribution as serving the song. Again, many of the more virtuoso types in rock history would prefer to show off their skills and thus leave their indelible mark on the given song. Edge does not think this way. In short, he is not interested in trying to impress people with his guitar playing. He is only interested in making the song better.

Third, Edge is very much a songwriter, or at least shaper/crafter of original melodic/harmonic ideas which are the backbone of many a U2 hit. Most of the so-called guitar Gods were indeed amazing on their instrument in rock-aesthetic technical proficiency, but they were not particularly good or consistent songwriters. Eric Clapton is not a very good songwriter, given the balance between his great stuff and his pap. Jimi Hendrix had a few really great moments, but again he is not a particularly strong songwriter. Most of the blues-based players were more excited by vamping on established motifs (the 12-bar, for one obvious example) or covering old songs (or stealing old songs, as in Led Zep's case). And again, U2 and Edge in particular do not find any attraction (apparently) in this approach.

And then there are guitarists like Mark Knopfler, who have the technical prowess Edge lacks AND the superb musicianship to know how and when to use it to serve the song.

Except that Mark Knopfler makes my skin crawl. There are a few people out there that I just can't bear the sound of, and he is one. I'm willing to admit he's good and all, I just never ever want to have to listen to him, ever.

Second, Edge is very much a team player who views his contribution as serving the song. Again, many of the more virtuoso types in rock history would prefer to show off their skills and thus leave their indelible mark on the given song. Edge does not think this way. In short, he is not interested in trying to impress people with his guitar playing. He is only interested in making the song better.

Yes. After being deeply immersed in U2 for months I sat down to watch some Wilco. And it was really almost shocking, how even in a very song-based band, how self serving and extraneous- almost masturbatory- Nels Cline's solos are. It sounds very cool, but it just doesn't serve the song. It really made me appreciate Edge's approach even more.

I always find the debates on Edge's skills to be somewhat amusing. Because it appears he's the only one in the world who doesn't care about the debate.

Edge will never win the hearts of the wannabe guitar gurus for a few reasons. But let's not kid ourselves: The paramount reason is that U2 is simply too big/popular/mainstream to have a "cool" guitarist in their minds.

The reasons Panther outlined are also key. Edge comes from a punk tradition and the whole ethic of that genre was focused on the song and the message, not the individual player. It's a mindset thing.

People seem caught up on the technical aspects of whether or not Edge can play with the same proficiency as some of the "gods" but it's almost an unfair fight when that's not the design of his career. Does he show off the top end skills often? No. But who suffers from that? The songs sure don't. How many Van Halen songs are ruined or at least stunted by Eddie forcing some convoluted square peg solo into the round-holed melody?

For me personally, I have seen Edge play plenty proficiently for my liking and the material speaks for itself. To use a crass summation, Edge is bored by the "whose dick is bigger" nature of guitar discussion and so are most casual fans. Why? Because it's pointless. Edge is a magnificent creator of sounds from a device known as a guitar. And I would suggest that's the point of it all.

This argument really doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Being a bit older than most here (probably) I grew up when the Gods like Clapton, Page, Hendrix were thought of as the standard. Edge kinda leans more to being a "sum of the parts" type of player and I believe remembering that he actually said once "he would never stand there and do a 15 minute solo, that bores him". That flys in the face of all those other guitarists so we are comparing apples to oranges.

One thing that any of us or the haters can't deny is his innovative sounds and differing time signatures that have become his brand. He is absolutely unique in his approach (this coming from a voiciferous hater). He has put his stamp on a generation of guiterists that span different genres.

Also there are a couple of moments where I have seen him personally shred a few solos. One being at a Hartford show during Vertigo Tour during of all things PITNOL... he blasted off and I was in the elipse and after the solo Bono smiled and looked at him and you can see Edge mouth "WOW".... it was epic.

One being at a Hartford show during Vertigo Tour during of all things PITNOL... he blasted off and I was in the elipse and after the solo Bono smiled and looked at him and you can see Edge mouth "WOW".... it was epic.

Was this when Bono screwed up and started the crowd chant during his solo? THere is a Hartford video out there like that. I remembered it because of the solo, he sounds verrry loud..like he was trying to drown out the chants almost.

I can imagine Edge going "wow" to that, but not in a good way...lol!!

and...Alex Lifeson

Fuck yeah. He, Dave Gilmour and The Edge are in their own category as far as I'm concerned. Such a great sound coming off their guitars. And many varied sounds at that. But none of them quite excite the typical guitar geek because their virtuosity is held in check to suit the song. But make no mistake, Lifeson can pretty much shred.

Fuck yeah. He, Dave Gilmour and The Edge are in their own category as far as I'm concerned. Such a great sound coming off their guitars. And many varied sounds at that. But none of them quite excite the typical guitar geek because their virtuosity is held in check to suit the song. But make no mistake, Lifeson can pretty much shred.

This is the correct answer.

It's hard to be a Rush fan in these parts, and unfortunately, some of the more vocal Rush fans around here have made it even harder....they remain one of my all-time favorites, though.

*Engaging skin thickening protocols*

Like others mentioned, many good points in Panther's post.

Also there are a couple of moments where I have seen him personally shred a few solos. One being at a Hartford show during Vertigo Tour during of all things PITNOL... he blasted off and I was in the elipse and after the solo Bono smiled and looked at him and you can see Edge mouth "WOW".... it was epic.

I had to look up "PITNOL" and realized you just meant "Pride"! :D

Was this when Bono screwed up and started the crowd chant during his solo? THere is a Hartford video out there like that. I remembered it because of the solo, he sounds verrry loud..like he was trying to drown out the chants almost.

Apparently that was the case...

U2 - Pride (In The Name of Love) (Live) - YouTube

It's hard to be a Rush fan in these parts, and unfortunately, some of the more vocal Rush fans around here have made it even harder....they remain one of my all-time favorites, though.

*Engaging skin thickening protocols*

It is? I don't really recall mass criticism of Rush, except maybe in an indirect form associated with Nick-bashing.

They're not my cup of tea, really, but I respect them, and think that they're very good musicians. They're a very different band than U2, and people are likely to like them for different reasons.

YES!!! That's it!!!

Back
Top Bottom