Economic downturn to affect tour plans? (not news - just speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
I'll bet it's not fun planning the size and expense of a massive stage show, and the dimensions of a world tour right now (given the worldwide economic downturn). The big question will be ticket prices I suppose. If these were ordinary times, there would be no reason to doubt that U2 could plan an expensive tour with high ticket prices. People would pay it.

However, the tour planning must be underway as we speak. The cost of putting the show together, and taking it on the road vs. how much they can charge for tickets (before people just won't pay a certain price) will determine what kind of show we'll get. I'm guessing that there is serious thinking (and maybe re-thinking) of the details of the tour right now in the U2 managment camp. You know they won't give the green light to plans for a stage show that's too expensive for people to sell-out most venues.

Or, will it be "Damn the torpedos. Full Steam Ahead".?

I'm anticipating a tour that would take 8000 years to break even. Paul McGuinness doesn't care what it costs. Does not care at all. His attitude is, it's for the art, and you don't question artists.

I'm anticipating a tour that would take 8000 years to break even. Paul McGuinness doesn't care what it costs. Does not care at all. His attitude is, it's for the art, and you don't question artists.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more (about Paul McGuinness') viewpoint. I think that the above philopsophy (if that was ever his philosophy) was cast aside after the PopMart tour. They spent big money taking that big show around the world and they were worried they may not make their money back. After that, I'm pretty sure he vowed that they didn't need to put on such an expensive show to get people to come to the show. The people would come for a less glitzy show (and less expensive) and there would be a much higher profit margin.

Global recession = real reason album delayed

McG saw it comin!

I'm pretty sure Dusty's comments were meant to be facetious.

Anyway, if the Dollar is significantly down compared to the Euro going into next year, it may be impossible for U2 to make any money touring North America.

Luckily, all of the European currencies seem to be going down with the ship too. :shrug:

:throws rock at your head:

Sorry, but do you have any facts to base your rock throwing at? Recession= negative growth. We don't have negative growth, yet. Even my 7th grade students understand what a recession is. The U.S. economy grew in the last quarter at 3.3 percent.

If you bothered to read closely, I said "considering we aren't in a recession YET.."

Do I think we'll be in a recession..yes, especially after the financial meltdown, do I think it'll effect U2 ticket sales in the next couple of months, no.

Sorry, but do you have any facts to base your rock throwing at? Recession= negative growth. We don't have negative growth, yet. Even my 7th grade students understand what a recession is. The U.S. economy grew in the last quarter at 3.3 percent.

If you bothered to read closely, I said "considering we aren't in a recession YET.."

Do I think we'll be in a recession..yes, especially after the financial meltdown, do I think it'll effect U2 ticket sales in the next couple of months, no.

Umm, there won't BE any ticket sales in the next couple of months, and when tix DO go on sale they will sell out because of scalpers buying them up, not one fan could buy a ticket and they'd still sell out to scalpers.

However if they are in the $200 range there may be problems selling out depending how many nights they do at each stop, prices, etc.

This will be an incredibly soft Xmas, I won't get into what my company does but right now we should be at 85-110% capacity as people start their Xmas builds of electronics, but we are at around 50%, that is a BAD sign, especially for Q109 which is always slow anyway. The pace of layoffs will increase soon, and the amount of money available for luxury items like concert tickets will plummet.

this could definetly effect tour plans!

Australia missed out on the Elevation tour because our dollar was sitting at 50US cents at the time. they would have been running at a loss to put on shows down here.

our dollar went up really high but now its sitting around 65 cents again! this really has me nervous that the next tour wont make it down here and i wont have the bucks to make it to a show over in europe/usa. :sad:

this could definetly effect tour plans!

Australia missed out on the Elevation tour because our dollar was sitting at 50US cents at the time. they would have been running at a loss to put on shows down here.

our dollar went up really high but now its sitting around 65 cents again! this really has me nervous that the next tour wont make it down here and i wont have the bucks to make it to a show over in europe/usa. :sad:

is what I was talking about.

I really couldn't care any less about the economy, just so long as the dollar is strong enough for U2 to tour.

Kevin Rudd is giving our family $3000 per gratis :dancing:

Gold Coin Donation at each show?

genius! why didn't anyone think of it sooner? a sure way to save the world :D haha

they better come to australia, pity the dollar isnt in the 96cent state it was in last year, it only seems to be getting worse and worse :huh:

genius! why didn't anyone think of it sooner? a sure way to save the world :D haha

they better come to australia, pity the dollar isnt in the 96cent state it was in last year, it only seems to be getting worse and worse :huh:

Which probably lowers our chances, the worse the dollar gets. Hopefully it picks up. What was it when they came in 2006?, the dollar, somewhere between 65-75cents?

I reckon It'll need to be around that mark for Australia to qualify for a tour.

Umm, there won't BE any ticket sales in the next couple of months, and when tix DO go on sale they will sell out because of scalpers buying them up, not one fan could buy a ticket and they'd still sell out to scalpers.

well, did you hear the good news? It seems that there will be a change in ticket selling next tour. I was afraid about the whole LiveNation tickit auction thing, but it seems that there will only be online sale, with ID identification at the venue. That will mean less room for scalpers!

At this moment they are testing the system with a 'smaller act': AC/DC

Back
Top Bottom