Early Grammys chatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 up against Ryan Adams for best rock album.... hm. Ryan has always been a critic's darling.

I wonder how the release has impacted SOI's chances. Perhaps the individual songs would have a better shot next year- EBW, etc. Surprised they'd try to get Miracle in there, but the competition isn't too great.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The release impacted everything around this album.

Biggest error: Clapton Unplugged beating Achtung Baby. What the fuck.

That was the year Eric Clapton won basically everything he could be handed for "Tears in Heaven", the song about the death of his young son in a tragic accident. It's actually in the book U2 At The End of The World. Clapton himself acknowledged in his AOTY speech that his album wasnt the best one, even.

SOI nominated for best rock album, along with tom petty, beck, black keys and Ryan adams

:hyper:

Edit: no AOTY nomination. Kinda figured.

Anyone wonder if B will be able to perform (seated, low key acoustic?) by Feb 8th for the Grammys?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Tom Petty & Ryan Adams can be thrown out of the mix right away. They're both beloved and have done great work, but they have no chance and neither's album garnered much attention.

Beck's is the most critically acclaimed of the bunch...U2 have the popularity factor going...Black Keys have the momentum given their other recent Grammy nominations/wins. I'd put my money on The Black Keys.

I wonder if they started with EBW as lead single that would have garnered more nominations. Also, you wonder how the release of the album negatively impacted this. For the record, Becks album was very good.

Billboard released an article as to why Songs of Innocence deserves the nomination for Best Rock Album, whereas Billboard.biz released an article as to why it doesn't deserve the nomination. :lol:

Billboard released an article as to why Songs of Innocence deserves the nomination for Best Rock Album, whereas Billboard.biz released an article as to why it doesn't deserve the nomination. :lol:

Well they got both sides covered. :lol:

Very surprised SOI was not nominated for album of the year.

Gimme Something Good by Ryan Adams nominated for best rock song? I've been a Ryan Adams fan long before anyone had heard of him...back to Whiskeytown's first album...but this song is god-awful. Reminds me of something Glenn Frey or Don Henley would've done.

As much as I love SOI, one of the reasons I feel it wasn't nominated for Album of the Year simply boils down to the fact that there is not that one BIG song on the album. There is no 'Streets' or 'Beautiful Day' or 'Vertigo' or 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' or 'Pride' or 'One'. I think 'Every Breaking Wave' is a great song, but it's more a song akin to say a 'Kite' or a 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own' rather than, say, a 'With or Without You' or a 'One'. There just isn't that one song that really grabs a hold of a generation….which is something that U2 have always had when they were nominated for Album of the Year.

I think the best thing that could happen here is if SOI does NOT win the Rock Album Grammy.

The fact that it is nominated should at least get SOME people to start thinking about the actual content of the album, rather than just dwelling on its release method. Can't be all that bad if it is nominated, right?

But if they win...oh man......could you imagine the outrage from the general public. As if the Grammys weren't already in trouble...it would flush whatever remaining credibility it has down the toilet in most people's eyes (not the hardcore fans, mind you). I think it would do far more damage to U2 than good.

I'm actually most curious to see if there're will be a noticeable chorus of "boooooo!!!!"s when the album is announced as a nominee during the broadcast......

For the record, I think SOI is a great album.

I think the best thing that could happen here is if SOI does NOT win the Rock Album Grammy.

The fact that it is nominated should at least get SOME people to start thinking about the actual content of the album, rather than just dwelling on its release method. Can't be all that bad if it is nominated, right?

But if they win...oh man......could you imagine the outrage from the general public. As if the Grammys weren't already in trouble...it would flush whatever remaining credibility it has down the toilet in most people's eyes (not the hardcore fans, mind you). I think it would do far more damage to U2 than good.

I'm actually most curious to see if there're will be a noticeable chorus of "boooooo!!!!"s when the album is announced as a nominee during the broadcast......

People are going to hate u2 no matter what,another grammy award isnt going to make any difference.

I really hope they win just to piss people off even more!!!? plus it is the best album,so it deserves to win?

As much as I love SOI, one of the reasons I feel it wasn't nominated for Album of the Year simply boils down to the fact that there is not that one BIG song on the album. There is no 'Streets' or 'Beautiful Day' or 'Vertigo' or 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' or 'Pride' or 'One'. I think 'Every Breaking Wave' is a great song, but it's more a song akin to say a 'Kite' or a 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own' rather than, say, a 'With or Without You' or a 'One'. There just isn't that one song that really grabs a hold of a generation….which is something that U2 have always had when they were nominated for Album of the Year.

Good point. The "saving grace" of ATYCLB and HTDAAB was that although neither album was particularly great (IMHO) they both had that one big all-encompassing song (BD and Vertigo). They've now gone two albums in a row without having that "big" song. For a band like U2 who have traditionally prided themselves on having at least one big song for each album/tour cycle, that's really gotta sting. I have a funny feeling that the ie tour could well end up being another "greatest hits" tour pretty quickly if the new songs don't take hold live (and there's no guarantee that any of them will...).

EBW sounded pretty big when performed in Glasgow

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

People would be rioting in the streets in every city in the nation!

Yeah, Beck may be "in line" to get the awards this year. Grammys usual give awards to bands a few, or many years too late. Or they give it to someone who has a long history of quality work, but they give it to them on an album that isn't the greatest. So I could see this scenario for Beck. Don't see SOI winning. Remember it's voted on by others in the business. U2's stock is low and Beck is highly regarded in all circles.

I Think Beck will win and then hopefully U2 will win for SOE :)

Not going to lose any sleep over it at this point. U2 won AOTY twice, which is more than many legendary bands can say. It's all gravy at this point.

And they've won more total Grammy awards (22) than any other band in history. The next closest is Alison Krauss and Union Station with 14, Dixie Chicks with 13, and Foo Fighters with 11. Don't think they're getting passed any time soon.

But like I said above, they can still get nominated for individual SOI songs next year. Don't count them out of the running for Every Breaking Wave, or whatever else they might "officially" release from the album. Personally I'd love to see them publicize The Troubles and get a nomination for Pop Collaboration (as they did with Mary J. Blige).

I think U2 winning might actually make people consider the merits of the music. And blow off some of the dust on SOI in the US, since they weren't able to promote it properly in US. And since the best album they've made in decades was given a weak lead single and thus far isn't getting a second single yet. (Every breaking wave, it's time to step up)

Sure, there'd be the moans from the usual suspects (the Apple release haters and anti U2 slanted critics) but they've had their turn three months ago. Now it's the album's turn to make its case.

Back
Top Bottom