Drowning Man live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dal975

The Fly
I found this on wikipedia's war entry:

"Drowning Man" is the fifth track on the album. Its sound is a departure from the other tracks in War as it is a quiet, atmospheric song heavily influenced by the work of the Comsat Angels.[citation needed] It was never performed live, although there are also unconfirmed reports that it was performed at a concert in 1983.[16]

does anyone know anything about this?

i looked...u2gigs has no record of it. I trust that completely, but I was wondering if maybe the wiki entry was referring to some demo or rehearsal session of some nature.

It was performed as a snippet in 11:00 Tick Tock I think...

i looked...u2gigs has no record of it. I trust that completely, but I was wondering if maybe the wiki entry was referring to some demo or rehearsal session of some nature.

The reference of the wiki is the u2gigs page. :giggle:

And no, U2Tours.com doesn't have better info either. Just a few reviews that show how inaccurate your memory is (i.e. wildly differing about the same event).
:)

I stand absolutely corrected.

deeper searching on u2gigs reveals it was snippeted at no less than 13 different shows on the war tour! i can breathe easier now.

I found this on wikipedia's war entry:

"Drowning Man" is the fifth track on the album. Its sound is a departure from the other tracks in War as it is a quiet, atmospheric song heavily influenced by the work of the Comsat Angels.[citation needed] It was never performed live, although there are also unconfirmed reports that it was performed at a concert in 1983.[16]

does anyone know anything about this?

The cited link really says it all. I don't buy the report of its performance for a minute, but since an actual published source makes the claim, I nonetheless acknowledge it in the concert notes on U2gigs without actually including it in the database.

And I'm a bit fond of the very brief snippet in 11OTT (it's just "hold on, hold on tightly" before the solo).

Could we count the snippet of Isaiah 40 in Mothers of the Disappeared from the second to last Joshua Tree Tour show? Drowning Man's lyrics borrows from Isaiah 40... maybe Bono was actually thinking about Drowning Man, not the Bible, when he sang MOD that night. ;)

Whatever we call it, is was an absolutely stunning performance of MOD... well worth a download.

Could we count the snippet of Isaiah 40 in Mothers of the Disappeared from the second to last Joshua Tree Tour show? Drowning Man's lyrics borrows from Isaiah 40... maybe Bono was actually thinking about Drowning Man, not the Bible, when he sang MOD that night. ;)

Whatever we call it, is was an absolutely stunning performance of MOD... well worth a download.

Off memory, the snippet is closer to Isaiah 40 than Drowning Man. But I'll listen to it again.

Gotta be careful with snippets. On the Chicago DVD, Bono sings "wings like eagles" an obvious hark back to Drowning Man at the end of Beautiful Day I think.....hardly the song itself proper.

Gotta be careful with snippets. On the Chicago DVD, Bono sings "wings like eagles" an obvious hark back to Drowning Man at the end of Beautiful Day I think.....hardly the song itself proper.

agreed...the "wings like eagles" also makes an appearance during the improvising at the end of Mothers of the Disappeared on the other Tempe, Arizona Joshua Tree show in 12/87 (i.e. not the R&H show)...and it doesn't give off the Drowning Man vibe at all.

ETA: the Isaiah 40 version referred to a few posts above this one (btw, yes i agree, a truly stunning version of MOD).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom