Does Edge not need to be counted in anymore during Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I've been listening to a lot of live versions of Streets from the 360 tour, and it seems a lot of them seem to not have Larry counting Edge in with his drumsticks -- I'm curious if this means that Edge has finally been able to count himself in when doing the introduction for Streets?

I might be totally wrong, but I wonder if Edge messed up during soundchecks doing the intro to Streets by himself, and always needed Larry to keep him on track? Is it possible Edge has finally learned to do it on his own?

Yeah it was the live intro on the JT tour, and I think through ZooTv Larry did it too. Then he got lazy, but at some shows on 360 he's been doing it again. :up: I like the intro, so I hope he'll keep doing it. It's fun to clap along with the entire crowd.

Edge never needed to be counted in for Streets. Where would you get this idea. :huh:

Uh, what are you talking about he most certainly did.

Up till they started using IEMs, of course. He has the count in his ear now so he doesn't really need a physical count from Larry.

Of course, by now he probably *could do it without the count, by listening to the synth, but that's not an exact method.

Uh, what are you talking about he most certainly did.

Up till they started using IEMs, of course. He likely has the click in his ear.

He was counted in by the IEMs yeah, but not necessarily by Larry IMO. Edge wasn't the one who needed timing, Adam was.

Nope. Edge's riff and chord progressions change with the change in the timing of the song from the 6/8 to 4/4. It's critical and it's part of how they couldn't seem to get it fired off right when they first recorded it. Then Larry (or someone) came up with the change and it became part of the song. It's been written somewhere that it was a train wreck until they figured that part out.

Anyone who's played this with a band knows exactly what I'm talking about...the count along with the hi-hat on the 1st of each bar is crucial to getting it off the ground properly

Also, Edge's delay on that song only works with a specific BPM in the click/count and the delay is a HUGE part of that opening.

psssht it wasn't larry counting him in...

1926998.jpg

Edge definitely needed help that one night of the tour where he went it WAAAY too early and was doing the 4/4 part while Larry and Adam were still doing the intro. forgot which show

Edge definitely needed help that one night of the tour where he went it WAAAY too early and was doing the 4/4 part while Larry and Adam were still doing the intro. forgot which show

Yea maybe on the JT tour but I can't imagine him needing that 20+ years after they wrote the song!

They have every song counted in through their IEM's.

I would assume this, because there are other things going on like the backing synths etc. They all obviously need to be coming in on exactly the right counts or everything would be out. This would especially be true with a u2 show where the lights, stage and video screen are all in synch with the music.

Een has a point. Though, Gabe, I want to believe you, I really do. But why did the JT version of Streets START with Larry's click track? Why did he get an entire bar for himself if it was only to help Edge stay on time? Wouldn't they just start together? To me it has always sounded like part of the intro.

Another great discussion... C'mon ppl. It probably started as timekeeping, but also was immediately part of the song. He has been doing it ever since. But, now they probably wanted to sound closer to the album version.

Nope. Edge's riff and chord progressions change with the change in the timing of the song from the 6/8 to 4/4. It's critical and it's part of how they couldn't seem to get it fired off right when they first recorded it. Then Larry (or someone) came up with the change and it became part of the song. It's been written somewhere that it was a train wreck until they figured that part out.

Anyone who's played this with a band knows exactly what I'm talking about...the count along with the hi-hat on the 1st of each bar is crucial to getting it off the ground properly

Also, Edge's delay on that song only works with a specific BPM in the click/count and the delay is a HUGE part of that opening.

I played it with a band a couple months ago. It was hard indeed. And the counting and changing the rhythm from 6/8 to 4/4 was definitely the hardest thing about the song. The drummer counted me in, we tried rehearsing and I couldn't play it well enough with him not counting.

Een has a point. Though, Gabe, I want to believe you, I really do. But why did the JT version of Streets START with Larry's click track? Why did he get an entire bar for himself if it was only to help Edge stay on time? Wouldn't they just start together? To me it has always sounded like part of the intro.

Back on the JT tour, they didn't have IEMs, or at least the band wasn't using them. Larry wore headphones which were, as I recall it, getting a feed of either a metronome or some prerecorded tape (with a click on it prolly). So on that tour, the sequence would be (just guessing) a 6 count for Larry, then 6 he'd give the band, etc. If only one person can get a click in a band, it absolutely must be the drummer. He gets a "warning" first bar, counts in the band on the second bar, and away you go. Nowadays they probably can start together, because they'd all be getting their own count-in bar in their ears that lets them know to start up their part of the intro.

Another great discussion... C'mon ppl. It probably started as timekeeping, but also was immediately part of the song. He has been doing it ever since. But, now they probably wanted to sound closer to the album version.

Or, they all have IEMs now so they can all get their own discrete count-in for their respective part. Back when they didn't have them, there would be no other way to count the band in than by the drummer hammering his sticks together...for a basic song, it'd be easy just hit the sticks 4 times and go.. for a song like Streets, he'd have to do that all the way into and thru that lovely timing change. So it was a necessary part of playing the song live back then. The count *still is*, it's just being provided to each band member differently now..

Personally I think the start of discotheque during the popmart tour sounds better WITH the click track.

I really thought of this thread this morning when I listened to the boot. :wink: Mm maybe Gabe's right after all. It was clearly Edge flubbing the intro.

Back
Top Bottom