Does anyone listen to 'Love Comes to Town' or 'Love Rescue Me' and feel embarrassed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
After listening to most of U2's stuff over again after taking a big break from the band, I went back and finally polished off Rattle and Hum (the album) for the first time in a while. There are some generally great songs on there such as Hawkmoon and All I Want, but does anyone listen to this album and just feel a little ashamed for U2 during that period of their career?

I mean, to me, Vertigo and Miracle Drug are less pretentious as songs than a lot of the material on R&H; and that's giving a lot of slack to those two numbers.

I dunno if it's embarrassment, I just personally don't go on those two songs much, and I also have little time for God Part II which is just downright annoying. Rattle & Hum, the era just annoys me...just something about it, something kinda distasteful.

yes. wlctt would be so much better though if they'd used the version from the movie. the one on the album is just atrocious. and love rescue me, there's just no saving that. it's a terrible song that was ruined even more for me when i heard adam's bum note.

Never understood this forum's seeming dislike for WLCTT. It's not the best thing the band's ever done, but it's a solid song and BB King certainly helps it along.

Now, LRM, on the other hand ... I think we're all better off collectively forgetting that it ever happened.

No, I'd take LRM over Red Light. LRM at least has a few decent lyrics. It's a "good concept, poor execution" scenario, while Red Light is simply "poor concept, poor execution".

I always laugh my ass off when it reaches the point in the movie where Bono is reading off the lyrics to When Love Comes To Town to B.B. King, and truly seems to believe he's translating some especially valuable ancient apocrypha.

Bono: I threw the dice when they pierced his side, but I've seen love conquer the great divide. (Oh yeah, I am the motherfucking SHIT.)

B.B. King: (Well, isn't that nice. Let's put it up on the fridge! Dumbass...)

Now, am I embarrassed for them? Of course not. They thought they were geniuses, and, though it's a subjective medium, were probably wrong. It brought me great lulz. No harm done.

When I was a little kid, I thought When Love Comes To Town was the oldest song in the world and was written before anyone really actually knew how to write songs. BB King's alright in it, but jesus, what a fucking stupid mess of a song. I have it under "Comedy" on my iPod.

But yeah, the scene LeMel just quoted is the best part of that movie by a long shot.

I don't mind When Love Comes To Town but Love Rescue Me is utterly cringeworthy IMO. And yeah I feel quite embarrassed for the band when I try to listen to the whole album or watch the film, which is why I rarely do either.

After listening to most of U2's stuff over again after taking a big break from the band, I went back and finally polished off Rattle and Hum (the album) for the first time in a while. There are some generally great songs on there such as Hawkmoon and All I Want, but does anyone listen to this album and just feel a little ashamed for U2 during that period of their career?

I mean, to me, Vertigo and Miracle Drug are less pretentious as songs than a lot of the material on R&H; and that's giving a lot of slack to those two numbers.

At the time I was not impressed with WLCTT but later I came to accept it and now I really like it. Love Rescue Me has always been a dud for me. Neither come close to being as embarrassing for me as Miracle Drug. I don't have a problem with Vertigo.

I would take LRM over Stuck in a Moment any day of the week and three times on a Saturday :cute:

Yes, I do feel a bit embarrased. Love Rescue Me is still their worst song ever.

Red Light and Babyface beg to differ.

I beg to differ. Babyface is a silly little song with a killer bassline. Red Light on the other hand is crap, but at least it's not as pretentious and excruciatingly long as Love Rescue Me. I think I actually listened to the whole song maybe 5 times in my life. As soon as those godawful sha-la-la-las appear, I'm skipping.

I like the verses of Love Rescue Me a lot, I don't really like that mess of a chorus.

When Love Comes To Town .... I've never been a fan of that song, I usually skip it, but I'm not embarrassed by any U2 song.

I beg to differ. Babyface is a silly little song with a killer bassline. Red Light on the other hand is crap, but at least it's not as pretentious and excruciatingly long as Love Rescue Me. I think I actually listened to the whole song maybe 5 times in my life. As soon as those godawful sha-la-la-las appear, I'm skipping.

I really do not understand why everyone seems to love that bassline so much. It's typical Adam stuff, boring and repetive. :huh: Yes, he alternates a slight bit more, but still it holds nothing compared to Pop or NLOTH.
LRM is just as boring and repetitive in that sense. At least LRM has better lyrics and better vocals.

I fully agree on Red Light though.

Are you calling Adam boring and repetitive?!

I think it's pretty nifty compared to a lot of his other basslines. Nothing out of the ordinary, but the whole song is pretty fun.

For most of his work, yes. About 80 to 90% of his work is either following Edge or using a chord pattern, playing the same 8th notes over and over again. Take WOWY for example.
I'm not saying this is a bad song, because I think it's brilliant, but that whole song consists of FOUR notes being played over and over again.
He's not the most innovative bassist around, well, he wasn't, before NLOTH anyway.

Ofcourse Babyface is a bit better than four notes all over again, and the verses do have some nice variation, but the chorus is still same old same old.

What's not to like about this song??? I don't get it.

Love rescue me
Come forth and speak to me
Raise me up and don't let me fall
No man is my enemy
My own hands imprison me
Love rescue me

Many strangers have I met
On the road to my regret
Many lost who seek to find themselves in me
They ask me to reveal
The very thoughts they would conceal
Love rescue me

And the sun in the sky
Makes a shadow of you and I
Stretching out as the sun sinks in the sea
I'm here without a name
In the palace of my shame
Said, love rescue me

In the cold mirror of a glass
I see my reflection pass
See the dark shades of what I used to be
See the purple of her eyes
The scarlet of my lies
Love rescue me

Yeah, though I walk
In the valley of shadow
Yeah, I will fear no evil

I have cursed thy rod and staff
They no longer comfort me
Love rescue me

Sha la la...sha la la la
Sha la la la...sha la la...
Sha la la la...sha la la la
Sha la la la...sha la la
Sha la la la...sha la la la
Sha la la...

I said love, love rescue me

I said love
Climb up the mountains, said love
I said love, oh my love
On the hill of the son
I'm on the eve of a storm
And my word you must believe in
Oh, I said love, rescue me
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

Yeah I'm here without a name
In the palace of my shame
I said love rescue me

I've conquered my past
The future is here at last
I stand at the entrance
To a new world I can see
The ruins to the right of me
Will soon have lost sight of me
Love rescue me

It's beautiful. Please point me to where the bad lyrics are. I cannot believe the OP compared Top 40 garbage like Vertigo and Elevation to this beauty.

the op read like a jick post.

wlctt is alright, a bit throwaway, gratuitous on the best of.

love rescue me is just overlong and boring.

desire, hawkmoon, heartland, god part ii and all i want is you more than make up for them

can i just say that i love babyface.

Did someone say jick? :hyper: The guy who's obsessed with how many albums U2 sell/ or was?

I really like LRM Lovetown, but the studio version is meh (at least I think - I haven't listened to it in ages). I can't stand WLCTT in any form, except for maybe the ZooTV version.

Back
Top Bottom