Does anyone listen to 'Love Comes to Town' or 'Love Rescue Me' and feel embarrassed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I'm talking about: Imagine if Miley Cyrus and an opera singer put Bono into the Rock and roll hall of fame. Appropriate, don't you think?

Is Miley or this Opera singer friends with, had some connection, or respected by U2?

Bad analogy.

Is Miley or this Opera singer friends with, had some connection, or respected by U2?

Bad analogy.

Yes, Pavarotti was "friends" with U2, sang with them on stage, and sang on their record. They're personally much closer to him than they are to Bob Marley, whom they've never met, sang with, recorded with, shared a passport or musical genre with.

Yet, if Pavarotti were charged with inducting U2 into some rock and roll shrine, it would be absurd.

Hence, my analogy was perfect and your critique of it silly.

yeah, i know i'd be up in arms that the best they could do is pick a dead opera singer.

Right, I forgot he was dead. All the more reason it would be absurd...

In general, I suppose it works better when the living ones induct the dead ones.

I maintain, however, that Elvis is working at my local grocery store...

Yes, Pavarotti was "friends" with U2, sang with them on stage, and sang on their record. They're personally much closer to him than they are to Bob Marley, whom they've never met, sang with, recorded with, shared a passport or musical genre with.

Yet, if Pavarotti were charged with inducting U2 into some rock and roll shrine, it would be absurd.

Yes it would be absurd but not for the reasons you listed. Pavarotti would be the outsider inducting an insider, plus the language barrier, etc...

U2 shared a label were friends with his children and wife and they were the ones who ultimately gave the ok for Bono to induct him.

It's only your hard-lined adherance to genre labels that isn't allowing you to see this... your analogy just doesn't work.

No, your analogy is flawed. Maybe you need to research a bit more and you'll find out more about U2's connection to the Marley's, Jamaica, reggae, etc.

Your problem is you have narrow genre definitions that you're trying to fit U2 into. Thank god they don't think like this.

Yes it would be absurd but not for the reasons you listed. Pavarotti would be the outsider inducting an insider, plus the language barrier, etc...

U2 shared a label were friends with his children and wife and they were the ones who ultimately gave the ok for Bono to induct him.

It's only your hard-lined adherance to genre labels that isn't allowing you to see this... your analogy just doesn't work.

Bingo.

Let's not forget which two artists pretty much made Island what it is. It's a no brainer and that's likely why it came up as a suggestion in the first place. Bono inducted him because he's a huge fan and respects the man, not because he wanted to be pretentious or stick his nose into somewhere it didn't belong for a photo op or something. Sometimes people do things just because they believe in them, and they don't give a fuck who's embarrassed by it.

This whole notion of embarrassment is, well, embarrassing, frankly.

Maybe you need to research a bit more and you'll find out more about U2's connection to the Marley's, Jamaica, reggae, etc.

Do you want to enlighten me as to U2's connection to Jamaica and reggae? (Yes, I'm aware of Island records, but so what? It's just a label.)

Bono inducted him because he's a huge fan and respects the man, not because he wanted to be pretentious or stick his nose into somewhere it didn't belong for a photo op or something.

Maybe... or maybe there were 100 other people who actually knew Marley and could have inducted him, but weren't as famous as Bono. I mean, it's not like Bono to stick his nose in anywhere it doesn't belong...

Sometimes people do things just because they believe in them, and they don't give a fuck who's embarrassed by it.

Well, I said nothing about embarrassment. My comment started in the context of my approving of the funny "we're stealing it back" line off the top of Rattle & Hum. That is, I was defending them, not attacking them.

Just to remind you guys: he who makes the most posts on Interference... still dies.

Do you want to enlighten me as to U2's connection to Jamaica and reggae? (Yes, I'm aware of Island records, but so what? It's just a label.)

Look it up yourself. :lol: Bottom line, you're the one who claimed "Bono doesn't know reggae". Period. Now you're just backpedalling and attempting to expand your 'criteria' as to whether you deem Bono to be an appropriate candidate to speak about Bob Marley. You do realize that pretty much every last rock and alternative station on this planet plays Bob Marley at one time or another, regardless of whether or not they play any other reggae? Most of his fans aren't even Jamaican, his music transcends the boundaries of the genre label.

Maybe... or maybe there were 100 other people who actually knew Marley and could have inducted him, but weren't as famous as Bono. I mean, it's not like Bono to stick his nose in anywhere it doesn't belong...

Again, who are you exactly? Do you think anyone cares that you think Bono doesn't "belong" in a discussion about Bob Marley? I guess everyone in the industry that actually does know Bono and actually did know Bob Marley must be horribly mistaken to have let Bono stick his nose into that one, huh? Here's the most likely "maybe" (like, to a probability factor of about 99.999%): Maybe you just don't know what the heck you're talking about. :up:

Well, I said nothing about embarrassment. My comment started in the context of my approving of the funny "we're stealing it back" line off the top of Rattle & Hum.

So "we're stealing it back" is funny but the Silver and Gold monologue is pretentious and cringe-worthy (or whatever crap it was that you said) and Bono has no place talking about Bob Marley cause he doesn't know reggae. Riiiight, I get ya now. :lol:

/mylastcommentonit

He was asked and got the blessing of his family, what more do you need? It didn't bother his wife or children one bit, why does it bother you?

Do you have to play that genre to appreciate it or understand it? It just seems like a very narrow view.

The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame has seen its share of horrible inductees.

For instance, Moby inducting Steely Dan (even Moby himself was confused, and was certain the whole thing was a practical joke being played on him, as the Dan were strongly opposed to the RRHF)

Bono inducting Bob Marley always seemed pretty appropriate to me. I dunno, i guess their personalities click, i think they would've got along real great given the chance.

Lou Reed inducting Frank Zappa was probably the worst idea, since they both hated eachother, and even Zappa's family was against the idea of it being Reed to induct the dead genius who if was there that night probably would've let Reed have it. (that would've been entertainment)

However, Reed inducting Leonard Cohen was awesome. Plus, the two actually liked eachother, so that always helps, haha.

In the end, most famous artists don't even really take RRHF that seriously, and many find the whole thing to be a bit silly. In the end, it's just a show for entertainment, for some live performance and good times.

I love Rattle & Hum so I'm going to disagree with the whole concept of this thread :D

Back
Top Bottom