Does anyone listen to 'Love Comes to Town' or 'Love Rescue Me' and feel embarrassed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never understood this forum's seeming dislike for WLCTT.

Ditto that. It's baffling to me. BAFFLING!

I'm not a huge fan of Love Rescue Me, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as many on this forum would have you think.

The only line in "The Playboy Mansion" that seems dated to me is the OJ Simpson reference -- but even that killer is still making the news.

As for Michael Jackson, his being "history" now takes on a new meaning...

Yes, I feel a little embarassed - especially for Love Rescue Me. Add a few more numbers and you have a "vomit EP".

I think the real pretension is to feel "embarassment" over anything a band does. Are you in the band? Are you related to the band? Do they employ you in some capacity? I mean, if not, why would any song or action on their part cause actual embarassment?

There are plenty of U2 songs that I dislike, despite being a huge fan. I don't particulary like or dislike the two songs the OP mentions.

And, you know, when I was 27 years old, if I had gone from being relatively unknown to alternative/college radio darlings to the cover of Time magazine in less than 7 years (I'm rolling with Boy's release, not the band's formation)....and clearly had a bit of an ego to begin with, then, yeah, a lot of this shit would have gone to my head and who knows how that would have manifested itself. I mean, when I went from a cubicle to an office for the first time at work I thought that was pretty neat.

I watch R&H and can certainly see the band losing their way (though, I cannot imagine U2's songbook not including All I Want is You or Heartland, so some good came out of all of this), but I guess I'm not so lofty that I find it embarassing or comical or anything outside of an interesting look back at what can happen to a band when they start to buy into their own image and hype.

the lyrics are dated no doubt but the final couple of verses when he goes into "Then will there be no time for sorrow" still gets me every time.

That actually hit me for the first time since I got Pop. I was listening on my ipod, on shuffle as always, and TPM came on. I usually skip it but this time figured I'd give it a try and I actually did not mind the song for a change. I mean, it's not the most brilliant thing ever, but it didn't annoy me as much as it used to!

Is that the regular version of the Wanderer Carlos? Or the other version with Edge's "wah wah wah wah wanderers"? I cringe at that.

Playboy Mansion used to be one I mostly skipped but have long since changed my mind. Bono's singing is just too good not to like and I like the way he takes the melody eventually too.

As for WLCTT and LRM, never had a problem with them.

I actually have no problem with that! The difference, for me, is that (a) the Beatles reference is clearly a bit tongue-in-cheek, as opposed to a sermon about South Africa and Desmond Tutu, and (b) U2 does have a line of influence from The Beatles, so "stealing" the song back to rock concert setting kind of makes sense (yes, in a slightly pretentious way).

Point (b) differs from "Okay Edge, play the blues!", which suggest that U2 know the blues or come from that tradition (they don't); it differs from Bono inducting Bob Marley into the hall of fame, suggesting that he knows reggae (he doesn't); it differs from Bono singing "with" Frank Sinatra, etc., etc...

With U2, we have to qualify the various levels of pretentiousness.

I think the last point you made is a very good one!:up:

this will be unpopular.

i really don't care about the helter skelter line

nor do i care about "play the blues..."

it seems people have been falling over themselves for 20 years to point this out as another reason the band suck..

this will be unpopular.

i really don't care about the helter skelter line

nor do i care about "play the blues..."

it seems people have been falling over themselves for 20 years to point this out as another reason the band suck..

I'll second this. They're not big deals.

The only thing the "play the blues" line makes me wonder is if Bono is an idiot or Edge is just pissed off at him, because Edge sure ain't playing no blues :wink:

Incidentally, should've included this in my last post ...

I think the real pretension is to feel "embarassment" over anything a band does. Are you in the band? Are you related to the band? Do they employ you in some capacity? I mean, if not, why would any song or action on their part cause actual embarassment?

This is easily one of the most sensible things posted on EYKIW in a long time.

In the grand scheme of things, little lines like "play the blues" are indeed trivial and not really worthy of discussion twenty years later. However, the fact that the band carefully calculated Rattle & Hum, knowing that 10 million people were waiting to hear it, and then included lines like that, does say something I suppose. I mean, there are parts of those song they edited out, but they didn't edit out those rather funny lines by Bono.

To really understand LRM you have to listen to the live versions. The one on the b-side of Angel of Harlem is amazing (features Keith Richards and Ziggy Marley).

Rattle and Hum is not a great record, but my feeling is that that is down rather to the uninspired live tracks (All along the watchtower is not a patch on the versions they played on the lovetown tour) than to the originals.

Had Rattle And Hum looked like this:

1. God Part II
2. Desire
3. Angel Of Harlem
4. When Loves Comes To Town
5. Dancing Barefoot
6. Hawkmoon 269
7. Hallelujah, Here She Comes
8. Van Diemen's Land (full version)
9. Love Rescue Me
10. Heartland
11. All I Want Is You

Plus a live set featuring:

Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Running To Stand Still
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Exit
The Unforgettable Fire
Gloria
October
New Year's Day
Spanish Eyes
Bad

I think people might look at the era a bit differently today. The order of the album ruined it, not the material itself.

Actually, I love the pretentious side of u2:) Love Rescue Me is one of my top 4 on Rattle and Hum and I don't mind When Love Comes to Town either. I like that U2 actually believe in something and someone and stick their beliefs out there. I like that they are somewhat corny at times and willing to be fools. Perhaps some of their antics on this current tour could be called embarrassing and pretentious, but I am willing to bet that some of those moments comprise my favorite tour memories. Long live the uncool:)

Hawkmoon is the great lost forgotten U2 song. What a powerhouse performance. Firing on all cylinders. Everyone.

Playboy Mansion is great. :drool:

Agreed. I used to ignore it because the 'irony' seemed a bit forced on the surface... but then the second half of the song really got to me, one of my top underrated songs from any band now.

As for WLCTT, and LRM... seriously? Is this the reason why 'R&H' is considered flawed? I like these tracks a lot, and it was fun for them to explore some areas that weren't in 'their tradition', how is it pretentious to go after what you're interested or inspired by? Seeing U2 play with BB King is so much fun, and LRM might not be their most inspired creation of all time, but its a pretty song, and there's nothing embarrassing about it.

Someone remind me, was there ever a recording done of Dylan singing with them, and if so has anyone ever heard it?

Any love for Hawkmoon 269? I love that song. Would be in my top 5. Was brlilliant live as well; underplayed like so many other great songs.

absolutely. heartland and all i want is you get the credit as the gems of rattle and hum, but personally i prefer hawkmoon to all i want is you, and it's a tie between hawkmoon and heartland.

Someone remind me, was there ever a recording done of Dylan singing with them, and if so has anyone ever heard it?

Well I have always thought the off key background vocals were Dylan, right around 3:15 seems to be the most obvious, but there has been some debate about that...

Hey, every band needs some "what were they thinking???" songs. :)

I actually think the 12/26/1989 version of LRM is brilliant....if you've never heard it, listen to it before passing judgment....it's not the greatest song, but it's definitely not shit, and the 12/26/1989 Point Depot performance is pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom