Does anybody like Wild Irish Rose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably would have drunk it in college, but I can afford much better stuff now. :D

RichardsWildIrishRoseRed.jpg

Its an incredible song, u2 were on such a rich vein of form back then, this and Night and Day are prime examples, shame it never made it onto vinyl, maybe on a remastered rattle and hum?

It's one of the biggest mysteries of U2's career... why is this the only version we have?

One of the greates b-side/non-album songs of their career, in fact much better than many of the released songs of the JT/R&H era.

I love it. I love Bono's voice here, it is so powerful, deep and rich.

Top ten U2 song. Utterly baffles me how it never got an official release. Great songwriting and very powerful singing.

It's a nice song. Worthy of LP release, but not a classic or anything. Can't see it sounding akin to Rattle & Hum. Lots of syths on there, aren't there?

I always thought it sounded like a traditional melody; it's so familiar. It's like a Clannad song but with a growly singer.

Wild Irish Rose is a very beautiful song. When I saw it on tv back in 1989 I didn't understand why it wasn't recorded for an album. I think it was the time before AB and maybe they didn't want to release it because it's nothing like the music they wanted to confront the audience with in that period. I think the time is right to release an album like Songs of Ascent with this song, Mercy, EBW and North Star. Please make the songs more Irish sounding and a new masterpiece could be born... It's different at least!

When I saw it on tv back in 1989 I didn't understand why it wasn't recorded for an album. I think it was the time before AB and maybe they didn't want to release it because it's nothing like the music they wanted to confront the audience with in that period.

I must admit I'm surprised they didn't dig it up as a b-side during Zooropa, like they did with another unreleased song from the period, Slow Dancing. They weren't exactly rolling in b-sides in 1993 and probably could've used it ...

I must admit I'm surprised they didn't dig it up as a b-side during Zooropa, like they did with another unreleased song from the period, Slow Dancing. They weren't exactly rolling in b-sides in 1993 and probably could've used it ...

It's interesting that they genuinely hold on to old material and revisit it for future albums. "Disappearing Act" was originally "White City" and was apparently revisited for Achtung Baby, for example.

Back
Top Bottom