do you want edge to play more long solos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
he doesnt often do it. would you like to see more of that stuff, aka bullet?

Hell yeah. His solos on the last two albums are so boring and when he does get a good one going, Bono has to howl over it. What gives with that?

Studio or live?

I prefer when he adds a solo live, for example New York. It adds a new dimension to the song.

Studio, it can come off as Edge showing off for the sake of it rather than working for the song like he normally does. (AIWIY - yes it works live but to me it's way over the top on the album)

U2girl said:

Studio, it can come off as Edge showing off for the sake of it rather than working for the song like he normally does. (AIWIY - yes it works live but to me it's way over the top on the album)

Long solos can still work for the song. Not all long solos are wankfests played by egotistical showoff guitarists.

GibsonGirl said:

Long solos can still work for the song. Not all long solos are wankfests played by egotistical showoff guitarists.

Yes.

We always hear "we want solos from Edge" even though he's never been a guitar hero. (I know he can do it, we have live solos, Street mission etc)

It is possible that sometimes the solo he does comes together in the live tour rehersals, and that he didn't think of it in the studio yet, or that he feels more comfortable letting loose live in general and restrains himself in the studio. He's often adds solos live that weren't on the album.

I'd rather hear him playing his usual delay notes/sonic landscapes stuff or, if he has to sound like a regular rock guitarist, go for the power chords and riffs over 1 minute+ solos. (unless it really enhances the song, like this tour's Kite)

Yes. Although I really like his style of not doing it often, I wouldn't mind it once in a great while now and then.

More, longer Edge? OF COURSE. But they don't neccessarily have to be long solos. They can be long and epic guitar parts/typhoons, intertwined with solo stabs, etc. Erm...i'm thinking something like what Explosions in the Sky do (hey, a guy's allowed to dream).

My fav Edge song is Mofo and, especially, A Sort of Homecoming.

I think Edge does a great job of balancing his playing. Because I'm such an old goat and remember way back in the day where Edge actually said that he is anti-solo. That old-school of Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen-like solos were always so boring and self serving in his mind (please don't ask me where I read this) but I remember reading this distinctly. Because of this attitude of his and when he cracks open a very wicked riff like in BTBS it sounds even that much better because in my mind for Edge it's ALL about the Band and not how great or "fast" he is.

He ripped a solo in Hartford CT on the last Vertigo concert I attended during Pride and I saw Adam and Bono look over at him (I was in the Ellipse) and saw Edge mouth the word WOW!!! and Bono just smiled back at him.

So in the context of the Band and his minimalist approach - I actually :drool: over his playing.

*hopes this makes sense because just crept back to the office after liquid lunch meeting*

I'm still blown away by his work on AB. The solos on EBTTRT, The Fly, UTEOTW, Acrobat, and LIB. Since then we really haven't gotten full blow "solo". Except what, Velvet? Vertigo should have had a much more signature solo. Would have taken the song to another height (great song though). Maybe on the next album we'll get the long missed Edge solo.

So yes, I want more solos.

Love is Blindness
Bullet the Blue Sky - ZooTV
The Fly
Until the End of the World
Mysterious Ways

Yeah, I'd probably like a few more.

Even studio, something that is his style would be great. More!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Very few musicians know how and when to pull one off, most of it comes off as wankery and doesn't add to the song.

But we're talking about the Edge here! The guy who filled up Achtung Baby chock full of solos! :drool:

Yes, bring back solos please. Become a rock band again.

I'd love some now&again but i really like him for his personal style of just working his guitar sound into the songs :drool:

Honestly, of late I've REALLY come 2 appreciate the solo on "Street Missions" from the Early Demos iTunes EP.

If they would play that on the next tour.... :drool:

The Disciple said:
Honestly, of late I've REALLY come 2 appreciate the solo on "Street Missions" from the Early Demos iTunes EP.

If they would play that on the next tour.... :drool:

There's sadly a .00000000000000001% chance of that ever happening.

forget guitar solos! give me some bass solos or drum solos! seriously that would be awesome...

but to answer the question..... no, the time the solos have gotten so far is fine....what i want him to do is play better solos than the ones on ATYCLB and Bomb (although i love the former and think the latter is pretty good) come on NONE of the solos in the 2 recent albums matched what he was doing before (imho).... i think its mostly since he plays to the feel of the songs and all the songs theyre making latley happen to be soft so he plays soft solos which i don't really like....i want some DARK solos some dirty seedy angry it aint a beautiful day and i aint feeling so great solos....know what i mean?

anyways most of what i just typed was somewhat off topic but w/e

wait....wat was the question? solos like bullet the blue sky and such? i dont think really think those were that long....well yes those are the types of solos i like.....i thought the question was do you want edge to play long solos.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom