do you want edge to play more long solos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pompous, pretenceous and overblown showoffs. The guitar equivalent of Christina, Mary and Mariah oversinging, yelping or catterwalking. You can get the drummers equivalent as well. Songs are about the voice, drums, bass and guitar plus any other instruments you want to add. The guitar is a sum of parts, no one is better than the other. People complained that in the last Metallica album they could not hear all the instruments. I watched something on YouTube by a prog band called Yes. The twat pulls the stupid faces when he plays his boring duller than dull solos. I just fastforward it so can hear when the vocals come in and after a while I got bored. But I know some guys, who haven't got laid in years, get off on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar and the sound it makes but a lot of these solos add nothing musically or emotionally, it's just showing off. Someone should remind these pricks that, yes they are talented musicians but the guitar along with the piano are one of the easiest instruments to play. It's the violin and the harp that are very difficult. Try bringing them on stage and lets see if you can still 'impress' us with your skills. YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN THE SONG, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I have to disagree with "cactus annie". While a lot of guitarists(songs) do have lame solos and are a bunch of show offs, if you tastefully creatively add a guitar solo to a song it can be the best part of the song. Perfect example is "The FLY". IMO the solo is the best part of that song and it's what makes that song. Also, don't you love the outro's to WOWOY and one?

Yeah I agree with hanksta 13, obviously some guitar solo's can be far, far too self indulgent, as much as I love Led Zeppelin some of Page's solo's did go on a bit and Bonham's drum solo for Moby Dick could sometimes last up to half an hour! :shocked:That's way too long for me, I just get restless.

However, if the solo has natural and logical development within the song, I'm all for it. Edges solo at the end of All I Want Is You is perfectly judged IMO.

Oh, I forgot to mention the solo in "Love is blindness" live . That's a haunting solo that gives me chills every time I hear it. Another example of a guitar solo that makes the song.

It all depends on what type the band is. The reason Page and Bonham would go off on huge solos is because the type of band Led Zeppelin were was a showboating band - showing off the bandmembers extraordinary talents. The same goes for any other band like that, its fine but its not what U2 are about. They've never been a showboating band and I don't think ever will. Although I would welcome a few more wanky solos from Edge due to prove to the detractors that he can when he wants to.

Well one has already been downgraded when they performed a duet with a pop singer 3 years ago. The Fly and WOWOY are fantastic and they are not the kind of guitar solos I was complaining about because Edge has never been that kind of show off. I wasn't referring to him anyway The type of solos I hate it when you watch the old prog bands play live and the guitarists pluck away at these notes at lightening speed for 10 minutes. Then you hear the crowd lapping it off as if they're getting an orgasm from it. To me it adds nothing musically, it makes the song sound disjointed. As though there's the song, a bit in the middle where the guitarist plays as though he's been electricuted and then the band plays the rest of song. I do like these brief glimpses of excellence from the Edge. Often you find with music, it's the brief but great moments in a song that are memoriable.

BTW November Rain and Comfortably Numb are in my top 10 favorite songs of all time. Pink Floyd weren't show offs in their musical ability and definetely one of the best prog bands. The Wall is my favorite album and I probably prefer them to Queen.

It all depends on what type the band is. The reason Page and Bonham would go off on huge solos is because the type of band Led Zeppelin were was a showboating band - showing off the bandmembers extraordinary talents. The same goes for any other band like that, its fine but its not what U2 are about. They've never been a showboating band and I don't think ever will. Although I would welcome a few more wanky solos from Edge due to prove to the detractors that he can when he wants to.

Yeah, sometimes you'd get some genuinely inspired stuff occuring, but on the whole I don't think its to my tastes.

I like long performances, so long as it warrants the length and I think on the whole U2 have managed to do that, some of the versions of Bad, Please and Kite are just sublime, I've wanted them to go and on.

Yes "November Rain" is great, and what can you say about Gilmour, the man can play 3 notes and make them sound so full and amazing.

Do you want edge to play more long solos?
Yes, I want more flies bulleting the blue skies!

Let Edge run wild, let his unearthly instincts take the album to another world. :hyper:

I would rather have a bad solo instead of a boring riff like All because of you....

According to the Beach clips, we will get a few great solos.... I like atmospheric ones like Velvet Dress, Walk to the Water, etc.... :drool:

If it's a solo like in The Fly I like my Edgy (that's how I call him late at night) to go on untill the end of the world

Lately The Edge's guitar playing has been somewhat uninspiring, I think it is time for him to change things up a bit. A guitar solo, unlike anything he's done before would be called for. None of the three note chimey things, we know he can play three notes, or the slidey guitar stuff. I would like a proper guitar solo that fits in with the flow of the song (obviously not a death metal boring as fuck shred solo which many people on this thread think guitar solos are. People think you're either the Edge or you're a lame shredder :|). I'm talking a solo following the same vibe as basically any Def Leppard guitar solo, which are all brilliantly executed, fit into the song perfectly, and do show that the guitarist can actually play.

I think it's time for Edge to start experimenting. Although from the impressions I've got from the album thus far, I don't think anything Edge will be doing will be particuarily avant garde as far as his guitar work is concerned, but I'll keep hoping!

:up: to adventurous guitar solos!

Lately The Edge's guitar playing has been somewhat uninspiring, I think it is time for him to change things up a bit. A guitar solo, unlike anything he's done before would be called for. None of the three note chimey things, we know he can play three notes, or the slidey guitar stuff. I would like a proper guitar solo that fits in with the flow of the song (obviously not a death metal boring as fuck shred solo which many people on this thread think guitar solos are. People think you're either the Edge or you're a lame shredder :|). I'm talking a solo following the same vibe as basically any Def Leppard guitar solo, which are all brilliantly executed, fit into the song perfectly, and do show that the guitarist can actually play.

I think it's time for Edge to start experimenting. Although from the impressions I've got from the album thus far, I don't think anything Edge will be doing will be particuarily avant garde as far as his guitar work is concerned, but I'll keep hoping!

:up: to adventurous guitar solos!

exactly. play solos with more notes per second, and not the same note either, different ones! not a repetitous 2 notes back and forth than another 2 a bit higher up the neck and so forth.

none of this crap, for those who can read guitar tabs:

e--12-12-12-12-14-14-14-14-15-15-15-15-----17--17--17--17 blah blah blah
b--------------------------------------------------------17---17--17--17

I remember watching an interview with The Edge several years ago and he stated that when u2 started they didn't believe in big guitar solos, they were trying to work against all of that in the post-punk era and although music has evolved and the band have experimented with different styles, I think Edge tries to keep those solos to a minimum, so that at least they stay true to some of the underlying principals of the band and the reason why they got into music in the first place.

I remember watching an interview with The Edge several years ago and he stated that when u2 started they didn't believe in big guitar solos, they were trying to work against all of that in the post-punk era and although music has evolved and the band have experimented with different styles, I think Edge tries to keep those solos to a minimum, so that at least they stay true to some of the underlying principals of the band and the reason why they got into music in the first place.

thats funny becuase some of the edge's fastest, longest guitar solos were from the late 70's and early 80's.

Well one has already been downgraded when they performed a duet with a pop singer 3 years ago. The Fly and WOWOY are fantastic and they are not the kind of guitar solos I was complaining about because Edge has never been that kind of show off. I wasn't referring to him anyway The type of solos I hate it when you watch the old prog bands play live and the guitarists pluck away at these notes at lightening speed for 10 minutes. Then you hear the crowd lapping it off as if they're getting an orgasm from it. To me it adds nothing musically, it makes the song sound disjointed. As though there's the song, a bit in the middle where the guitarist plays as though he's been electricuted and then the band plays the rest of song. I do like these brief glimpses of excellence from the Edge. Often you find with music, it's the brief but great moments in a song that are memoriable.

BTW November Rain and Comfortably Numb are in my top 10 favorite songs of all time. Pink Floyd weren't show offs in their musical ability and definetely one of the best prog bands. The Wall is my favorite album and I probably prefer them to Queen.

your post are typically narrow minded, and blown out of proportion and bordering on mindless rambling masquerading as a point of view.
this time though i have to agree with you 100%. especially the last bit about N.R. and C.N.

your post are typically narrow minded, and blown out of proportion and bordering on mindless rambling masquerading as a point of view.
this time though i have to agree with you 100%. especially the last bit about N.R. and C.N.

Thank You. But I'm not narrow minded, I just go for por opinions over amateurs. Neither are they mindless, I put a lot of thought into them

Yes :|

Why wouldn't I want to hear a guitar solo as kick ass as the last half of Mysterious Ways from ZOO T.V Rotterdam

But I'm not narrow minded,

you argue and rant on like a child when anyone presents an opinion/viewpoint different than your. i've never seen you concede to someone's else' viewpoint as being valid, ever.

I just go for por opinions over amateurs

eh????????

Neither are they mindless, I put a lot of thought into them

i think you put so much thought into them that they come out as pointless rambling. you don't need 1000 words to make your point, just the words that count.

^Yes but I'm an Aries, we do have a short fuse. In fact Sicy pointed this out to me and I thought "she's right but why an I so angry?" A lot of this posts when I do appear angry seem to be when it's that time of month. My former housemates have also said this about me but I didn't see it but they were right. Before I moved out the house I had this massive argument I ever had with anyone and quite frankly my anger scared me. It makes me feel crap also. Now on I will try think before I post so that I don't appear so angry. I don't even like coming on here knowing that I'm having this on going argument with some members. But now it's been pointed out to me I think my dealings with some people will be much more healthy.

Secondly, not I won't conceade to the fact that someone thought that Paul McCartney is not a pop singer and that MJB woman is a soul singer because I regard Donna's opinion more valid as she's a well respected vocal coach. Plus she explained what pop singer sound like. Paul McCartney doesn't fit very well into the category of pleasant timbre and tone, good pitch and accuracy, mid to low emotion, good flexibility and sung sound throughout. He uses classic rock sounds in his voice and as such Donna says he's a rock vocalist. MJB may be emotional compaired to most pop singers, on the same level as Dido, Jem, Annie Lennox, and George Michael; but as Donna says I would not like to hear him try a Dylan or an Otis Reading song because he lacks the emotion. It's only marketing that convinces us that Mariah is the next Mariah or Beyonce is the next Tina Turner. MJB is marketed as the latest Aretha.

^Yes but I'm an Aries, we do have a short fuse. In fact Sicy pointed this out to me and I thought "she's right but why an I so angry?" A lot of this posts when I do appear angry seem to be when it's that time of month. My former housemates have also said this about me but I didn't see it but they were right. Before I moved out the house I had this massive argument I ever had with anyone and quite frankly my anger scared me. It makes me feel crap also. Now on I will try think before I post so that I don't appear so angry. I don't even like coming on here knowing that I'm having this on going argument with some members. But now it's been pointed out to me I think my dealings with some people will be much more healthy.

That sounds like a great idea Annie. I've picked up on some of the frustration in some of your posts too, but I think the fact that you've been open to other people's opinions and have acknowleged that they may have a point is a very good sign, it show's you want to make things better.

From personal experience I know that actually recognising and acknowledging an issue is the first step to resolving it.:)

I would give up my liver to see The Edge do a solo album and then a solo tour only so he can show off his true guitar prowess.

I'm all for longer "guitar solos". However, I don't see it happening. They can barely mix up the song selection from their amazing catalog on a tour, they pretty much stick to 26 songs, with some minor variation.

They really are not the "live" band that they are portrayed to be, they are more about a "performance". Radiohead, Phish, Wilco, My Morning Jacket are "live" bands IMHO.

I'll take it a step further, I'm not even sure what music they are actually producing on stage. Remember back in 1991 when SPIN ran the article about the guy under the Stage on ZOOTV tour? He had all sorts of keyboards and stuff. They had pictures of it and U2's management tried to squash the story with no luck. That's weak.

I'll take it a step further, I'm not even sure what music they are actually producing on stage. Remember back in 1991 when SPIN ran the article about the guy under the Stage on ZOOTV tour? He had all sorts of keyboards and stuff. They had pictures of it and U2's management tried to squash the story with no luck. That's weak.

did you ever watch the FOX Zoo TV special? during zoo station the "commentator" goes under the stage and gives a glimpse of the "underworld". he clearly points out dallas lending edge a hand during the performance. he also showed the keyboards that get played during certain songs. real good cover up by u2 on that one.

Back
Top Bottom