do you want edge to play more long solos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

Not all long solos are wankfests played by egotistical showoff guitarists.

Most are....only a few have ever enchanted me. Ac/Dc bore me to tears Aqualung, November Rain, Comfortably Numb are a few that I find rather enjoyable to the ear....

Yes november rain solo, thats pure ART.
also Nuno bettencourt (Extreme) can rip it up on the guitar.
:drool:
comfortable numb solo is just heartbreaking.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

Uh, yes. It does. It's not fake. It's real.

My favorite solo he's ever done. It's partially on the album but is drowned out by Bono:

"Do! Do! Do-do! Do Do Do Do! Do Do Do!"

Do you own ZooTV: Sydney? It's on there.

Also multiple versions on YouTube.

Yeah, I was talking about the album version when I wrote that last year. :wink:

Live solo is very good, not his best. Give me The Fly or Bullet most of the time.

shaun vox said:
Yes november rain solo, thats pure ART.
also Nuno bettencourt (Extreme) can rip it up on the guitar.
:drool:
comfortable numb solo is just heartbreaking.

yeah, and they're reforming in 2008 as well, and going on a world tour.

he's an awesome guitarist..

Flight of the wounded bumblebee. outstanding

U2Man said:
he doesnt often do it. would you like to see more of that stuff, aka bullet?

No, not at all. I want U2 to play longer, varying setlists with more songs. And I especially don't want to see "Bullet" every night as a staple ...

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, I was talking about the album version when I wrote that last year. :wink:

Live solo is very good, not his best. Give me The Fly or Bullet most of the time.

It was also last year that I said it was my favorite by him. :lol:

I'd put Edge's Top 5 like this:
1. Bullet (ZooTV)
2. Desire (Lovetown)
3. The Fly (ZooTV)
4. Love is Blindness (ZooTV)
5. One Tree Hill (Lovetown)

Or something like that. I'm forgetting some. UTEOTW's solo is up there. Kite on Vertigo too.

Ellay said:

yeah, and they're reforming in 2008 as well, and going on a world tour.

he's an awesome guitarist..

Flight of the wounded bumblebee. outstanding

hey ellay, im a huge extreme fan.met nuno a few times(past two years), very nice guy and a truly gifted guitar player. can't wait for the new album.

schnumi said:
Yes.

Love is blindness :drool: :drool:
Quoting myself here!

Yes we need more solo's from the edge. Kite on the Vertigo tour was amazing as well, they really improved the song which i think wasnt possible.

PROG ROCK YEAHHHHHHH get all modal on me, baby.

Seeing the first post of this ancient thread makes me miss the doggie, guys :(

I've always thought they should let Edge loose more, but nothing too extended.

I loved Acthung Baby b/c he really did a lot of great guitar work, and he had solos in many songs.

Someone mentioned it though, I hate when Bono howls over his solos...Miracle Drug sucked live b/c Bono howled over Edge's solo, which is the highlight of the song for me.

short solo on ONE

There's also short little effective solo in ONe where he doesn't play many notes but he shakes the guitar a lot while he's playing it.
I wonder who invented that guitar shaking move, Edge or Lanois?

Solo ranking:
01) love is blindness : spine tingling moody solo (live)
02) closing section of With or Without you, maybe not technically a solo but still spine tingling.
03) the fly
04) UTEOFTW

U2girl said:

Studio, it can come off as Edge showing off for the sake of it rather than working for the song like he normally does. (AIWIY - yes it works live but to me it's way over the top on the album)

the album version of AIWIY has gotta be one of the best studio versons of any song. Edge's solo kicks so much ass it's ridiculous.

I'd like to hear a solo like Lovetown Desire, a solo like ZooTV Bullet, and like ZooTV Love Is Blindness. That'll never happen though.

I think the real point here is that Bono needs to shut up every once in awhile and let the band play. A key difference from some of their "former glories"... and recent stuff (which I think is mostly lacking and uninspired aside from a few moments) is there used to be more space to the music. More band. Less Bono. Think about the makeup of their songs pre-2000.

I'd really like to see something of a solo in the first single off the next album. You know, a bit of a fuck you to fellows that think he relies entirely on pedals.

Maybe more short solos like on Achtung Baby. Extend them a little live, but keep the drums and bass going during them like they always do. I can't stand some of the long ass jam-band type Pink Floyd solos and wouldn't want to see edge move in this direction. But I would like more of the types of solos edge does in future live performances and albums. Also, no one has mentioned what I think is his best solo: Electric Co from Boy! Watch Vertigo Live from Chicago, it has an excellent performance of this song- U2 playing with their early intensity that first got them noticed. Other than that, I agree, Love is blindness, bullet live and the others mentioned have been his best moments! As for bass solos, I like Adam's in Gloria. Larry says hed never do drum solos, but I'd like to see him do one prior to sunday bloody sunday to pump up the crowd for it. And of course, his traditional solo at the end of 40 when hes alone on the stage!

The Sad Punk said:
I'd really like to see something of a solo in the first single off the next album. You know, a bit of a fuck you to fellows that think he relies entirely on pedals.

Yes, please.

Edge and van Halen like solos? Come on.... That is simply never going to happen, because on the one hand, Edge probably isn't that technically gifted to do so, and on the other hand, he simply doesn't like that kind of sound.
The Vai and van Halen guitar sounds are pretty much dominated by the excessive use of a harmonizer type of effect, which totally changes the whole sound. Edge doesn't like these kind of effects, as he wants to keep the purity of his guitar signal and he always wants to hear the actual guitar (that's why he has so many). With the right effects, any guitar can make that Vai sound. But that's simply not the Edges intention, as he doesn't even use a noise gate in order not to change the sound of his guitar too much...

I don't care if it's super technical. It'd be nice, though, to have something a little bit bluesy. Just a touch of Zeppelin here and there would do wonders to his soloing.

hmm, I like long guitar solos. Not too long, mind you, but my favortie guitarists not counting edge are slash (guns n roses, velvet revolver) and randy rhoads. (quiet riot, ozzy) THEY were good at making solos. :wink: Although, what alot of you guys are calling wank fests, I enjoy listening to :wink: I'd like to see a U2 song or two with a slash like solo. I think it would be good for Edge to expand his boundaries a little, because lately a lot of his guitar riffs and solos are crap. :|

All I know is, you haven't heard Kite until you've heard it live from Melbourne or Sydney, the 8 minute version with the additional solo towards the end.

Back
Top Bottom