Do You Think U2 Will Release Everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
There is one question that's lingered in my mind for a while, will U2, at any point, release all they've ever recorded? If so I'd really love to hear it! I really wanted to see what your opinion(s) were on this. I think it might possibly happen but I can't be certain. My guess is if it were to happen it would happen when the band were "done" :reject:. Of course that's a day that I push far far away and out of sight and never want to see.

Soooooooo...I'm :waiting:

I hope not. The world simply isn't ready for Start Your Cell Phones (I Want To Save Africa) and Peter Gabriel's African vocal mix of Holy Joe.

i think it's highly doubtful they'll release everything. i don't think any band ever has. even discounting all their demos and outtakes, any band that's ever released an all-encompassing box set always has some glaring omissions.

I await the day when Bono, Larry, and Adam will release a single made on top of a demo tape that Edge made of a solo song.

That being said, I'm sure they will release one of thos "all-encompassing" box sets about 5-10 years from now.

There's just no way to define "everything". Do we really want 20 versions of Lady with the Spinning Head? Do we really want the beginning instrumental of Mercy that Bono never laid a vocal on?

I'm pretty sure there are some real gems that we don't even know about, but I'm willing to bet that their vault isn't nearly as large as we think it is... I mean I'm sure there are a lot of sketches similar to the Salome bootlegs, but probably not nearly as many finished songs like those that appeared in the digital boxset that we would hope.

That being said, the two I'm really looking forward to are Wild Irish Rose and Wanderer with Bono vocal.

My point was to get you to define the finality of an "unreleased track".

Ok EVERY unreleased track is a bit out there but if U2 could release what they think might have had some potential or something interesting and different would possibly interest some people. I know not all. And they don't have to release the "269 mixes" of Hawkmoon 269 or release all the different versions of songs ever!:lol: I mean it would just be kind of interesting, ya know, to see what they've come up with that we've never heard. Might be worth the *insert amount here* you spend on it. Might not. All I'm saying is I think it might be cooler to hear a bunch of unreleased and interesting tracks than a bunch of remixes of their past decade.

Also, a studio version of She's A Mystery To Me.

Ooooooohhhh, you're good. Actually there was a super low quality version of them recording this in Sun Studios during the R&H days, from what I remember, not so good... But the quality was so bad I only gave it one listen so who knows :shrug:

Ok EVERY unreleased track is a bit out there but if U2 could release what they think might have had some potential or something interesting and different would possibly interest some people. I know not all. And they don't have to release the "269 mixes" of Hawkmoon 269 or release all the different versions of songs ever!:lol: I mean it would just be kind of interesting, ya know, to see what they've come up with that we've never heard. Might be worth the *insert amount here* you spend on it. Might not. All I'm saying is I think it might be cooler to hear a bunch of unreleased and interesting tracks than a bunch of remixes of their past decade.

I have no doubt we'll get some kind of box set...

One disc(or whatever format) of remixes.

One of alternate versions.

One of stuff we've never heard.

etc...

i was thinking more along the lines of unreleased live songs/concerts. Like some of those 1998 pop shows where they really got going, or anything from the lovetown tour. The first msg show they ever did. The early zoo tv shows. The post 9/11 shows. The boy tour. Actuly, on the subject of the lovetown tour, i was reading about it in my live u2 documentry book. I always assoate the effects of the the berlin wall/new era in europe with the zoo tv. But its actuly during lovetown tour when the event actuly happened. The we goota go dream it up again show would be a good release.

i was thinking more along the lines of unreleased live songs/concerts. Like some of those 1998 pop shows where they really got going, or anything from the lovetown tour. The first msg show they ever did. The early zoo tv shows. The post 9/11 shows. The boy tour. Actuly, on the subject of the lovetown tour, i was reading about it in my live u2 documentry book. I always assoate the effects of the the berlin wall/new era in europe with the zoo tv. But its actuly during lovetown tour when the event actuly happened. The we goota go dream it up again show would be a good release.

Meh, in the day of the internet live albums are dead. Now a DVD of Lovetown would be nice, but the audio is pretty much out there, and honestly I wouldn't be interested personally.

They could just release it online. I mean even with rare studio stuff the internet has killed that to some degree. Perhaps they could rare bonus tracks/entire shows with the purchase of this or that album. But in theory we are supposed get all the albums remastered. So live stuff could fit into that. A lovetown dvd would be great.

Do you think thier is enough rare unreleased stuff for a entire cd? I mean, not remixes,alt versions,covers but like a whole "new" album? Reminds me of how the rolling stones took some left overs and outakes and made "tatto you". Would be funny if they had some lost classic that we have never heard like a "start me up".

I think with a lot of their albums there's a ton of material that goes into the making of it, except we normally don't here much of it, we only read about it, except in the case of AB where we got scads of outtakes, but that comes down to people stealing and selling those songs. I think there will be a lot of material to go along with the Pop--now sessions that they'll release eventually. I believe when they're done being the biggest and retire they'll want to release a lot of the material they shied away from in the past. Hopefully it won't take that long to hear SOA.

Is it too much to ask for the mainly Fez-recorded version of NLOTH?? We can dream. :drool:

it would be intresting if, they took at least one real song,never been leaked or released from each of the 12 albums and made a "album". Like released singles and tour, etc.

They can't release everything but I do think a very large boxset will be released at some point. For the most part the vaults will be emptied. I think it would be a mix of:

*Unreleased tracks that were in contention for an album or b-side spot
*Early tracks that were cannibalized like Take You Down
*Studio and Soundcheck jams
*Alternate versions

Since we all know what perfectionists they are I would say no. We'll get a load of unreleased songs I'm sure, but nowhere near everything.

one does everyone always talk about this "vault", like there's a huge safe-locked vault at u2hq with every second of recording they've ever done.

no chance in hell, and what would be the point? no one would buy it, and McGuine$$ would never allow it.

i don't think they'd even get away with an Anthology type thing, like the Beatles did.

This thread is making the plan to steal Eno's laptop all the more interesting ...

Back
Top Bottom