do you like the song Get Your Boots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can-Of-Worms-1999--Thinpak-Cd-Cover-24806.jpg

I like it well enough. I think it's become much better live, and now I love it in the shows.

I like it, but I doubt that my opinion on a song could cause someone else to like it, so I won't try to convince you. If you don't like it, that's okay. You don't have to like 'em all!

I like it, I just wish I knew what the hell Bono was on about. "Free me from the dark dream, candy floss, ice cream, all the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren't real"?

I like it, I just wish I knew what the hell Bono was on about. "Free me from the dark dream, candy floss, ice cream, all the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren't real"?

I always saw that line, along with "Satan loves a bomb scare" as being aimed at those who hold the specter of terrorists up to terrorize us with. I think the point of the song is that we need to spend more time thinking about dancing and women and sex and less being afraid.

And yes, I think it is a good song. It's better live, but it was a TERRIBLE choice for a lead single!

I love it! :love:

It's just sort of a weird song. Which is ok by me. :)

He said in an interview that he was at a carnival with his family, and realized he just didn't want to think about war and dark stuff right then.

After 2+ years I went from initial forced enthusiasm to really hating it, to tolerating it, to hating it even more, and finally, I sort of like it. Seeing it live in Michigan last week kind of helped.

I like it quite a lot, the only one of the "middle 3" on NLOTh that I can bring myself to listen to. The "you don't know how...."part sung by Edge is one of my favourite parts of the album.
The only thing that annoys me is the "let me in the sound" section that seems to have ben thrown in the mix for no good musical reason..

I like it a lot, more than say Magnificent.

You're just not groovy enough if you don't like it.

as others have said...awful first choice for the single. love the breakdown in the middle.

I thought it was a bad choice for the first single, but I've actually gotten to like it. The "let me in the sound" bit gets me every time.

Plus, it's a MONSTER when they play it live. :rockon:

Okay, I only now just noticed the title says "Get Your Boots."

I am unfamiliar with such a song and therefore cannot judge it. :wink:

Love it live.

Like it on the album.

The pre-chorus, "You don't know how..", sounds messy to me. Its like U2 (Bono) felt the need to sing over that part and came up with that part in 1 take. They should have let the Edges loud guitar carry the pre chorus. Give it a surfer sound.

Its a fun song that should have never introduced NLOTH (see NLOTH, MOS, or Breathe).

This song annoyed me at first, but now I find it quite good. The more time elapses since I heard it for the first time, the more I like it.

From an artsy/music fan perspective, it's good if you can appreciate a band coming out of its comfort zone. However, once you look pasy that principle, its reedeming qualities are sparse. It's good live because it's performed by U2. This gives little credibility to the song itself.

it's a very good song
with some excellent lyrics

Bono doing a completely different, and IMO more interesting, take on 'sliding down the surface of things'

I like it quite a lot, the only one of the "middle 3" on NLOTh that I can bring myself to listen to. The "you don't know how...."part sung by Edge is one of my favourite parts of the album.
The only thing that annoys me is the "let me in the sound" section that seems to have ben thrown in the mix for no good musical reason..

WOW. Let me in the sound-part is just about the very best thing about that track. That along with Larry's drumming.

Back
Top Bottom