Do you find that being a U2 fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Do you find that being a U2 fan breeds extreme competitiveness with other music fans who don't like the band?

I realize that we are a competitive species and that people are often competitive with bands / music in general (and obviously a lot of things in life), but it seems to be more extreme with U2 in my experience.

I imagine it is primarily due to their stature in the industry and Bono's comments about being the "best band in the world" as well as his attitude in general in this area...

Would love to hear others' thoughts...

Meh maybe to new fans who are overzealous in general. I don't give a rat's arse if other people like U2 or not. Why should I? As long as I like them, I'll continue to listen to their music....

PhilsFan said:
I'm 21, so no one my age gives much of a shit about U2.

Exactly. I never talk to anyone about U2 because there would never be anyone for me to talk to about U2.

As a U2 fan, I've always found Bono's proclamations about being the biggest/best band in the world to be cringeworthy. Ergo, I've never made any attempt to try and substantiate those claims with other people. As far as the quality of music is concerned, I've never felt the urge to lock horns with anyone. U2 are *proba ly* one of the most hated bands on the planet for various reasons, and getting upset with each and every flame would be emotionally exhausting.

Not really. Gave up on that a long time ago.

I agree with 'tis post. I've turned 30 this year and I like to think I've mellowed out a bit. People have differing opinions. Sometimes these opinions are valid, sometimes they're personal and sometimes they're biased. But whatever the reasons are, I must not get my knickers in a twist over it. This is the internet after all. It doesn't matter.

BVS taught me that!

Do you find that being a U2 fan breeds extreme competitiveness with other music fans who don't like the band?

I realize that we are a competitive species and that people are often competitive with bands / music in general (and obviously a lot of things in life), but it seems to be more extreme with U2 in my experience.

I imagine it is primarily due to their stature in the industry and Bono's comments about being the "best band in the world" as well as his attitude in general in this area...

Would love to hear others' thoughts...

In a word yes! especially with a guy in work,he HATES U2 and Bono the most. Says all they do is copy the popular music of the time,i have had some heated arguments with him! And the best of it is that his favourite band is the stone roses!

I agree with 'tis post. I've turned 30 this year and I like to think I've mellowed out a bit. People have differing opinions. Sometimes these opinions are valid, sometimes they're personal and sometimes they're biased. But whatever the reasons are, I must not get my knickers in a twist over it. This is the internet after all. It doesn't matter.

BVS taught me that!

30? Dang your old.

I say that in jest as I am far, far closer to U2's ages than yours.

And I will admit to defending U2 years ago (in the 90's). Now, I don't see a reason. First, they've been around so long, they really have little left to accomplish. Yet, even now, they can still produce #1 Platinum albums and Top 40 hits. And their tours are ridiculous. So if people want to attack, let them.

As for comparisons - there's always a new artist. The goal is to ensure one is more than a one-hit (or one-album) wonder.

The only time I might raise an eyebrow is when I hear, "U2? All their songs sound the same."

But even then I don't give it much energy, despite what some may think in here I'm pretty non confrontational in real life.

I've noticed a time or two that some of the most outspoken haters of U2 seem to be up to date on the latest developments with the band. I wonder why that is? :wink:

I don't really bother defending U2 anymore, mostly because no one talks about them.

There were a few haters in high school when Vertigo was popular, but I didn't put much effort into trying to convince them that U2 really is great. Music is subjective, and if they don't like U2, then there's something wrong with them and there's nothing I can do about it. ;)

Seriously though, I have had feelings of "My favorite band is better than your favorite band," but doesn't everyone feel that way about the music they like the most?

I've noticed a time or two that some of the most outspoken haters of U2 seem to be up to date on the latest developments with the band. I wonder why that is? :wink:

I've noticed that, too. Very interesting. :hmm:

That's part of being an attentionwhoring troll. You gotta know just enough info for the right kind of trolling.

Like screaming out at Bono calling him a tax evader. That's the kind of knowledge you need. :yes:

No.

Noone cares. The world pretty much accepts that they are the best band of our generation.

End of story.

I think you'd disagree with me if I said Bono has his hair dyed and wears sunglasses indoors ;]

A lot of people think that they're horrible but they are usually not very well informed...

I absolutely stand by that statement.

Name me one better. Our generation.

Kthx.

I'm not questioning your opinion, just the "world accepts" part of your statement.

Pearl Jam
Queen
Nirvana
Radiohead
R.E.M.
The Smiths

Lot's of people would make an argument for those bands and several more. Is there some universal poll where U2 was voted "the best?"

Back
Top Bottom