Do you find that being a U2 fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not questioning your opinion, just the "world accepts" part of your statement.

Pearl Jam
Queen
Nirvana
Radiohead
R.E.M.
The Smiths

Lot's of people would make an argument for those bands and several more. Is there some universal poll where U2 was voted "the best?"

I like two of those bands better than I like U2.

Danny Boy said:
I'm not questioning your opinion, just the "world accepts" part of your statement.

Pearl Jam
Queen
Nirvana
Radiohead
R.E.M.
The Smiths

Lot's of people would make an argument for those bands and several more. Is there some universal poll where U2 was voted "the best?"

Well let's see: the lead singers of Queen and Nirvana are dead, REM are no more, The Smiths imploded after only 10 yrs give or take.

That leaves Pearl Jam and Radiohead.

No to Pearl Jam and I don't know anyone save one friend who would argue comes close to U2.

Leaving Radiohead, and no. Just..no.

Fanboyish stuff like "U2 are the defining band of our generation and the world accepts that!" is somewhat close to being as annoying as "U2? Bono is an arsehole and all of their songs sound the same!".

Well let's see: the lead singers of Queen and Nirvana are dead, REM are no more, The Smiths imploded after only 10 yrs give or take.

That leaves Pearl Jam and Radiohead.

No to Pearl Jam and I don't know anyone save one friend who would argue comes close to U2.

Leaving Radiohead, and no. Just..no.

This is one of the most incoherent, nonsensical, irrelevant, anecdotal, arbitrary posts I've seen on this, or any other, forum in quite some time. Well done.

djerdap said:
Fanboyish stuff like "U2 are the defining band of our generation and the world accepts that!" is somewhat close to being as annoying as "U2? Bono is an arsehole and all of their songs sound the same!".

I'd say it's worse, because at least with the latter you can just laugh and fob it off.

I agree with gvox actually, U2 are my favourite band ever, but I'd never be obnoxious about it like that.

I always get defensive. Can't help myself. Unless they sincerely dislike them purely on their music. But I'd say that 80% of the time it's usually ignorance, musical snobbery or anti-Bono prejudice that seems to motivate anti-U2 sentiment

As a U2 fan, I've always found Bono's proclamations about being the biggest/best band in the world to be cringeworthy. Ergo, I've never made any attempt to try and substantiate those claims with other people. As far as the quality of music is concerned, I've never felt the urge to lock horns with anyone. U2 are *proba ly* one of the most hated bands on the planet for various reasons, and getting upset with each and every flame would be emotionally exhausting.

Mostly for their size. And "Bono sucks" factor.

They've been the band of the 80's, and certainly no peers matched their longevity, combined with decades of good music and critical acclaim (and the influences on younger bands). REM came close in the 80's and early 90's but weren't really the same after Berry left. And they self-destructed so...Radiohead were the band of the 90's and no one outside of Coldplay applies for 00's.

Best band comment was always meant to stir things up. At least they waited 20 years with it.

Actually yes,but only when I am talking to my mother.SHE HATES THEM!!! But I can't say that she is listening to anything better than U2. Just because I want to make fun of her I always turn on my laptop and make her listen to U2 songs by trying to make her start listening to them and of course like them.

In my case, no. I don´t remember having had quarrels with people who hate U2, though. Well, the thing is lately these people were (are) friends of mine and I always prefer remaining silent to fighting with them. Anyway, they know what I think, and some years ago yes, I used to fight a bit with U2 hatred people and also with obsessive u2 fans who think that one must listen to U2 all the time and everyday and not give too much attention to other bands.
And I remeber that a friend of mine who loves U2 and many other bands too was deleted by many of his contacts due to liking Oasis very much (and those contacts were u2ers, some of them are stupid people, sorry to say...)

It's got to be an age thing. I'm old as dust. I've had friends say they hate U2, I usually respond with "love'em. Brilliant band." Doesn't bother me in the slightest. And I'll play U2 even if I'm with people who I know hate them. Tough. Deal with it.

RHCP are shit without Frusciante.

I hate this "popular" opinion. They were really good before him, really great the first time when he was in the band, still great when he left (One Hot Minute is their Pop), and slowly but surely turned to shit when he came back.

Californication and By the Way are both great records. Yes, Stadium Arcadium sucked balls but two outta three ain't bad.

The new is not bad either, but they're a better band with Frusciante. One Hot Minute is pretty spotty.

By the Way is one of the worst records I've heard by a band I actually like. It is just unbearably corny.

There are bands that are FAR more hated by the general public than U2 (see Nickelback and Creed) but yeah, if the topic of U2 comes up with people I know the general response is "Oh, that Bono is a wanker, he's such a hypocrite" OR "All U2 songs sound the same". REALLY? So With Or Without You and Mofo sound pretty similar?
But I get the feeling that if Bono was just a regular singer with no extra-curricular interests, U2 would have FAR less hate directed at them.

I've come to the conclusion that there are more secret admirer's of U2 than there are people who actually dont like them. I've had buddies admit to me that "u2 arent that bad" when they have a few spritzers in them.

I gave up trying to convince people about how great of a band U2 are. Its exhausting to try and make another person agree that your favorite band is the best. Just turn up the music and enjoy for yourself. :wave:

There are bands that are FAR more hated by the general public than U2 (see Nickelback and Creed) but yeah, if the topic of U2 comes up with people I know the general response is "Oh, that Bono is a wanker, he's such a hypocrite" OR "All U2 songs sound the same". REALLY? So With Or Without You and Mofo sound pretty similar?

I know, right?

Back
Top Bottom