Do Edge and Bono really have tinnitus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When did he say this?

Google it.

Staring at the Sun and tinnitus, you'll get plenty of hits to explain this.

Bono said it in an interview on the PopMart Tour, I think in Edmonton.

I'll look for the video.

I've never heard of Bono or Edge having this condition, either. :shrug:

Can one concert cause tinnitus? I noticed my ears ringing after I saw U2 last year, but I couldn't remember if I had had it before that and just started noticing it or if the concert caused it. They've been ringing a lot lately again, but I think it's from stress and maybe sinus congestion. It doesn't keep me awake, though.

Google it.

Staring at the Sun and tinnitus, you'll get plenty of hits to explain this.

Bono said it in an interview on the PopMart Tour, I think in Edmonton.

I'll look for the video.

I did, it's why I asked you... come on?!

It all came back to the link the OP posted, which is not reliable.

Well, then google gives us different results, then.

Seriously, its widely known that Bono at the very minimum deals to some degree with tinnitus. He's said it on more than one occasion, I can't find them all, but I know I'm not imagining it.

Its also common sense.

We've all seen how loud U2 are.

I will post the video when I find it.

I've never heard of Bono or Edge having this condition, either. :shrug:

Can one concert cause tinnitus? I noticed my ears ringing after I saw U2 last year, but I couldn't remember if I had had it before that and just started noticing it or if the concert caused it. They've been ringing a lot lately again, but I think it's from stress and maybe sinus congestion. It doesn't keep me awake, though.

Yes, technically speaking, your ears ringing after concerts(like mine are now, I kept the earplugs out for 1 of 2 Weezer sets earlier tonight) is a mild form of tinnitus. Of course, it is temporary.

Vertigo Tour I lost the ringing about halfway through the next day.

NLOTH Promo show I didn't lose it until probably 36 hours later.

Both 360 shows I woke up the next morning and it was gone within the hour. Outdoor shows are better that way.

There is also persistent tinnitus that Townshend, Bono, many other people have.

That is much, much harder to acquire and people I've talked to in the industry (sound engineers, long time roadies, etc) with knowledge of the condition say it takes a lot more constant exposure to loud music than you'd think to trigger it.

U2 has certainly met this threshold, same for almost anyone whose job it is to play loud music.

But the average concert goer, or even the avid, 3-5 times per month concert goer has very little to worry about here.

I wear earplugs because I average 3-5 nights per week working my 2nd job doing concert security, so its a bit different for me. I'd certainly do some damage if I never wore earplugs.

Would we agree that a true blue crack U2 die hard number could be 10 360 gigs attended over 2 or 3 years? Lets use that.

You'll ring a bit each time, be uncomfortable to varying levels depending on where you sat, the condition of your hearing in the first place, etc. You may even take longer to get back to normal after the 2nd gig in a row. However uncomfortable or nerve racking (am I going to pass my next hearing test?!!!) this is nothing at all to worry about long term.

Seriously, its widely known that Bono at the very minimum deals to some degree with tinnitus. He's said it on more than one occasion, I can't find them all, but I know I'm not imagining it.

Its also common sense.

You keep saying it's widely known, yet I have to see a single bit of proof for that NOT coming from tabloids and random internet pages...

Its also common sense.

Since your google is working better than mine and it's so widely known why is it so hard to post one reliable link?

It's not hard for me to believe that he has it, it's just that I've never heard him ever talk about it.

That is much, much harder to acquire and people I've talked to in the industry (sound engineers, long time roadies, etc) with knowledge of the condition say it takes a lot more constant exposure to loud music than you'd think to trigger it.

I got my tinnitus after just one U2 show in Boston in 2005. So it can be just 2 to 3 hours of really loud volume that can cause permanent damage.

The exposure time necessary for permanent damage changes based on decibel level.

I think it's now quite clear that Bono's claim that "she put her tongue in my ear....ahhhhh huh huh...oooo whoa ooo whoa ooo whoa ooo!" in NLOTH's title track is a reference to his tinnitus and the strange lengths he goes to treat and rehabilitate his injured hearing organ.

I think it's now quite clear that Bono's claim that "she put her tongue in my ear....ahhhhh huh huh...oooo whoa ooo whoa ooo whoa ooo!" in NLOTH's title track is a reference to his tinnitus and the strange lengths he goes to treat and rehabilitate his injured hearing organ.

There's a joke in there about tongues doing wonders to heal all organs... but wrong thread.

Yes, technically speaking, your ears ringing after concerts(like mine are now, I kept the earplugs out for 1 of 2 Weezer sets earlier tonight) is a mild form of tinnitus. Of course, it is temporary.

Vertigo Tour I lost the ringing about halfway through the next day.

NLOTH Promo show I didn't lose it until probably 36 hours later.

Both 360 shows I woke up the next morning and it was gone within the hour. Outdoor shows are better that way.

U2 has certainly met this threshold, same for almost anyone whose job it is to play loud music.

But the average concert goer, or even the avid, 3-5 times per month concert goer has very little to worry about here.

I wear earplugs because I average 3-5 nights per week working my 2nd job doing concert security, so its a bit different for me. I'd certainly do some damage if I never wore earplugs.

Would we agree that a true blue crack U2 die hard number could be 10 360 gigs attended over 2 or 3 years? Lets use that.

You'll ring a bit each time, be uncomfortable to varying levels depending on where you sat, the condition of your hearing in the first place, etc. You may even take longer to get back to normal after the 2nd gig in a row. However uncomfortable or nerve racking (am I going to pass my next hearing test?!!!) this is nothing at all to worry about long term.

If your ears are ringing the next morning, you've done permanent, irreversible damage whether it gives you tinnitus or not. Saying it's nothing to worry about is a little irresponsible

yeah...and i know everyone's different and all but once i realised the wonders of earplugs i'll always wear them to concerts. can't be too cautious. i'd rather concerts be slightly quieter for me (never really cared for loud noises anyway) and hopefully prevent or at least lessen the damage.

:heart: You win this thread.

I posted this thread because I'm a huge music fan...Not only of U2. I have been following U2 only for a short while intensively. So that's why I asked you guys. Mabybe they have mentioned it about 10-20 years ago. I haven't read or heard those intervieuws.

I am critical of what I read, so that's why I ask you, the big fans...
Because I have this condition I was very curious if it was true or not.

I have tinnitus and hyperacusis for 3 years now. I can assure you, you can get it from an exposure to a very loud noise that's last as well as 3 three seconds ( a gun shot for instance, I know someone who got it this way), or A SINGLE concert that lasts up to 1-3 hours. I got it at a small scale festival in Belgium. Just ONE night (garland Jeffrey's, and Bryan Ferry were playing) .

I have a constant ringing in both my ears and all different sounds. A static radio sound in both, a ringing bell in my right ear, a TUUUUUUUUt as well. And sometimes very strange varying noises along with it. Recently I have been exposed to a 40 second piece of music in a theatre, it was very loud, the whole room was vibrating and I had my custom earplugs IN. Since then I have more tinnitus and again more damage. People are so ignorant about this stuff...they think it won't happen to them, or you can only get it after years of exposure. WRONG!!!

If you leave a concert and your ears are ringing YOU HAVE ALWAYS CAUSED PERMANENT damage. Even if it fades away after 2 hours or a couple of days.
You have damaged hair cells.

I had 3 hearing tests (where you have to tell when you hear a sound in a certain ear) and my hearing is fine. But they can test your haircells in your ears. You don't have to do anything. They send sound signals of various frequencies to your ears. Your damaged hair cells don't respond to sound anymore and then they can see on how many frequencies your ears are damaged. Well guess what... mine are damaged on almost all frequenciesd ue to exposure to loud music. So you can have tinnitus without hearing loss!

It means that I might get deaf or have hearing problems a lot earlier then other people.
There are people who are exposed to noise often, and they can have the same result, hearing is perfect, but cells are damaged, maybe no tinnitus yet...but one day it might show up. Of course some people are more sensitive to it then others. That's why one person can get it at a concert and the one who's standing next to you doesn't. Although the other one will have damage. But won't hear anything wrong.(yet) And that damage is IRREVERSIBLE!

I live in Belgium, it's one of the countries where they know a whole lot more about it then others...but still there is no cure for it. Only taking pills like anti-depressants or benzo's can make it a little bearable. Maybe TRT therapy, to deal with it.

Some people are laughing about it on this thread, but believe me...I had several occasions where I thought I'd rather be dead then living with this 'insect' in my ear. :| My social life is nearly zero as I can't go to concerts anymore even with custom ear protection, no cinema, no parties, no festivities or stuff with a lot of people. It all feels like someone is scratching on a blackboard with a fork or nails. Forget sleeping, you just can't anymore. It's F*cking horrible. :down:

I know that there a lot of artists who have got it, but record companies and such want to keep it a secret because it's bad for business. A lot of people don't know this exists. (try to explain what you got to your friends, most of them don't know it) What if a lot of artists suddenly start saying, hey people , I got tinnitus and/ or hearing loss because of my own shows...Would you still go? Not good for business. That's why it's so hard to find info on artists and tinnitus. That's why I asked...because they might have mentioned it just once a long time ago...and maybe were told no to talk about it anymore.

There are Belgian artists who are telling us now about their T. Also they say, we couldn't talk about it because of our management...but we can't keep silent anymore. People should know.

So it's not funny when you got it (GirlsAloudFan..I find your replies quite offensive, I hope you never have to deal with this SH*T problem/thanks JiveTurkey!)...a 29 year old killed himself last year. And he's not the only one. As of now it's widespread in the media in Belgium. People and musicians keep popping up with their stories. They have even installed ear plug vending machines in certain venues.
About 40% of the people with T get into a depression, I got it three years and I'm sick of it. I don't know how to live like this for another 30-40-50 years.

Its also common sense.

It's possible he has it, but it hasn't been "widely known".

Herci, I'm truly sorry for your condition.

I don't think people are making fun of the condition, and if I came off that way I apologize. I just think some are having fun with the "Bono even writes about it in his lyrics", that's all.

I also don't think record companies are trying to keep this a secret either; I don't think Pete Townshend lost any audience and he's been pretty vocal about it, neither did Ryan Adams and he was very vocal about his ear issues.

Like I said before, I wouldn't be suprised if Bono does have some issues but to my knowledge he has never said anything and no one has shown me a reliable source yet saying that he has(and yes I know how to use Google)... the lyric doesn't convince me.

:shrug:

(GirlsAloudFan..I find your replies quite offensive, I hope you never have to deal with this SH*T problem/thanks JiveTurkey!)

Shit man, my apologies. The last thing I was trying to do was offend anybody. Just trying to lighten the mood with a joke or two.

What you described sounds awful, and I can't possibly imagine what it would be like to have to live with that. I don't even really know what to say.

Hope you have a nice Christmas.

Since your google is working better than mine and it's so widely known why is it so hard to post one reliable link?

It's not hard for me to believe that he has it, it's just that I've never heard him ever talk about it.

It's Christmas.

I have to work.

I have things to do.

Having to prove to what should be common sense to you is not at the top of that list, sorry.

I'll find the video when I get around to it, but I know I'm not imagining it.

Also, many hits come up on google, its not just one about the lyric and to be honest, a little critical thinking is necessary here.

Is this something a tabloid or other "unreliable source" would normally be all over? Its not like "OMG, GARY CONDIT KILLED CHANDRA LEVY AND BONO HAD AN AFFAIR WITH ANDREA CORR" b.s. type stuff you usually see from them.

You keep saying it's widely known, yet I have to see a single bit of proof for that NOT coming from tabloids and random internet pages...

I lost Bono's phone number:sad:

I don't know what else to tell you.

I've been here and been a fan long enough.

I am not just saying this stuff to get a rise out of people or anything even similar. Not that long ago, there was a video on Youtube in the same side thumbnail list as all of the other Popmart Edmonton videos that had Bono describing this.

If your ears are ringing the next morning, you've done permanent, irreversible damage whether it gives you tinnitus or not. Saying it's nothing to worry about is a little irresponsible

One ripping loud Vertigo Tour indoor show may have permanently damaged one part of your hearing by a miniscule amount. Statistically insignificant. Nothing you'd notice, wouldn't even have implications for your next hearing test.

Irresponsible is not going to a U2 show without earplugs.

Irresponsible would be if Joe O'Herily decided he was going a tour without them.

Or you decided you were going to write concert reviews for a living and shunned earplugs.

I am not just saying this stuff to get a rise out of people or anything even similar. Not that long ago, there was a video on Youtube in the same side thumbnail list as all of the other Popmart Edmonton videos that had Bono describing this.

... I'll just have to wait for you to show me that video. I'm not the type of person to be persuaded by the sentimental..

Ok but don't you find it a little odd that you're saying it's "widely known" and "of course he has it", and no one here can verify this? If it's so matter of fact it would be easier to verify.

Plus you said that you were able to Google something, but if that's true why not link it?

One ripping loud Vertigo Tour indoor show may have permanently damaged one part of your hearing by a miniscule amount. Statistically insignificant. Nothing you'd notice, wouldn't even have implications for your next hearing test.

:angry:

This is absolutely false and you need to stop believing this. My tinnitus was caused by ONE Vertigo show in 2005. I have had a permanent high-pitch rining in both my ears from that day to today. The condition is terrible, especially for people who already deal with depression (focusing on negative things, it's an awful experience to only hear the ringing especially at night).

Everyone please take note: ONE SHOW CAN CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE. Just wear ear plugs. In my opinion it actually sounds better because it filters out a lot of echo and surrounding crowd noise.

You dont know that. One show could damage your hearing significantly enough that you'd notice it. I'm sure if I could compare my hearing from when I was 11 and now, there would be a noticeable difference

... I'll just have to wait for you to show me that video. I'm not the type of person to be persuaded by the sentimental..

Ok but don't you find it a little odd that you're saying it's "widely known" and "of course he has it", and no one here can verify this? If it's so matter of fact it would be easier to verify.

Plus you said that you were able to Google something, but if that's true why not link it?

Look, I am truly not jerking any of you around!

What reason would I have to make any of this up? I have some vested interest in showing that Bono has tinnitus?

I have been looking for the video.

Its not as clear cut as you think, there has been at least one one off statement by Bono, but jeez, his medical records aren't public.

BVS, no need to link google hits, you can do it yourself. Evaluate each hit critically and decide if you want to believe it. Critical thinking is as easy as critical posting, I assure you!

Now, before you take up 8 pages, which you've done over smaller issues than this, that is the end of it until I send you the video.

:angry:

This is absolutely false and you need to stop believing this. My tinnitus was caused by ONE Vertigo show in 2005. I have had a permanent high-pitch rining in both my ears from that day to today. The condition is terrible, especially for people who already deal with depression (focusing on negative things, it's an awful experience to only hear the ringing especially at night).

Everyone please take note: ONE SHOW CAN CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE. Just wear ear plugs. In my opinion it actually sounds better because it filters out a lot of echo and surrounding crowd noise.

Well, I am very sorry to hear that! I truly hope that things get better for you, both with depression and tinnitus.

However, you would definitely be in the minority with your experience. I have done plenty of loud shows, including Vertigo Tour shows, without earplugs with none of the same damage you report.

A lot of my friends did 1 or 2 U2 shows with no damage to report.

I have talked to many sound engineers and other experts in the field.

I see at least 20 shows per month.

Again, I'd never go without earplugs for the majority of them, in fact, I do so sparingly.

However, even for a band as loud as U2(especially on Zoo Tv and Vertigo, where IMO, the dial was especially cranked up), permanent, noticeable damage is not the typical result of one show.

You dont know that. One show could damage your hearing significantly enough that you'd notice it. I'm sure if I could compare my hearing from when I was 11 and now, there would be a noticeable difference

Yes, but from one show in that time period???

Highly unlikely.

Its probably been multiple shows without earplugs over that time period.

Surely you've been to more than 1 since you were 11.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The implication here is that I don't respect the danger this poses, and nothing could be further from the truth.

U2, Bruce and The Police are the only bands I ever remember going entire shows without earplugs when viewing.

My co workers grab one pair of earplugs and barely put them in their ears, I grab 3 or 4, 1 pair for each act playing that night, and always put them in deep in my ears.

As sorry as I am, truly, for Stealthboy and Herci, those are not typical results from seeing a hand full of U2 shows over the years, with a lot of space in between.

I would only question the sanity of anyone not wearing earplugs at U2 shows if they were following an entire tour.

If you are just reading this for the 1st time and have never seen U2 before, it is ABSOLUTELY FALSE to say that 1 or 2 U2 shows without earplugs is in any way threatening to your hearing on a permanent basis.

My aunt's seen U2 about 25 times, going back to the War tour in smaller, louder venues, never worn earplugs and has perfect hearing with no discomfort.

Its not as clear cut as you think, there has been at least one one off statement by Bono, but jeez, his medical records aren't public.
This is kind of my point. I'm not sure why you would say it's "widely known" and "of course he does" if there are no public records or any clear cut statements? That's very odd to me...

BVS, no need to link google hits, you can do it yourself. Evaluate each hit critically and decide if you want to believe it. Critical thinking is as easy as critical posting, I assure you!
I just wanted ONE reliable source. Every hit I got was just a copy and paste job from the link the OP posted. I'm sure you're running into the same problem hence the avoidance of posting a link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom