Disillusioned with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duff

The Fly
Looks like its a 5 year wait for a new album.
Now lets see whats been going on in those 5 year. I see bands touring smaller venues, doing back catalogues and generally giving fans some kind of value for their support.
What do we get from U2. Nothing. Except promises of a new album that is 'really exciting' and breaking new boundaries.
These were the same "forecasts" we got for NLOTH and it turned out to be a dud. In my opinion, the worst album of U2's career.
The band now stand at a crossroads. Bono's standing with the general public seems to be at an all time low. Most people now just switch off when they hear him start rambling. They just want to hear him sing
A band are judged by their output and although U2 have a massive back catalogue, they seem to take pride in moving onward and upward and stretching the boundaries of modern music. Otherwise its just a stonesesque revue, treading the boards every 5-6 years.
The new album needs to be good. And i mean very good, otherwise i'm afraid they could be on the steady decline, a la mick and co.
As we know, U2 albums seem to come in batches of three, of which NLOTH was the third, so hopefully!
Final rant is, why do U2 feel they can only play to the largest amount of people possible. Springsteen has been doing arenas constantly, as have other bands. Sure, some people will be disappointed not to get tickets, but Hey Ho.
Live shows and albums are what its all about. Without those, your just a cyberstar.

I m not disillusioned about u2 only about his emails bono is just plain slow then was then now is now static electricity makes the hair stand on ends but doesn't make money a good dream should not be wasted waiting for someone else to understand it and I waited a loooooooooooooooooooooooong tttttimmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee
Drugs are bad, punctuation is good. :up:

Their records don't evaporate after 3 months.

If the entirety of their output isn't enough to interest you, you're kinda fucked.

They have so much good stuff.

A back-catalogue of great music, and you feel they owe you something? 37 years in a band, they owe you FUCK ALL. There is an album, they are making it as good as they feel they can. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Fucking hell, these entitled, prissy, whinging fucks that just want to trash the band without even hearing the new album amaze me. You know what, they have given us a shit-ton of great music, and if they want to take their time, at this age and enjoy their lives, they deserve it. It is absolutely frustrating that they seem to want to get music out quickly, and then go back on it, but that is their right. Jesus wept you people make me crazy. Grow the fuck up, wait like a normal person or find another band.

I disillusioned with The Beatles. They haven't toured recently or released any records. They're a shit band. Same goes for The Clash.

WTF?

Looks like its a 5 year wait for a new album.
Now lets see whats been going on in those 5 year. I see bands touring smaller venues, doing back catalogues and generally giving fans some kind of value for their support.
What do we get from U2. Nothing. Except promises of a new album that is 'really exciting' and breaking new boundaries.
These were the same "forecasts" we got for NLOTH and it turned out to be a dud. In my opinion, the worst album of U2's career.
The band now stand at a crossroads. Bono's standing with the general public seems to be at an all time low. Most people now just switch off when they hear him start rambling. They just want to hear him sing
A band are judged by their output and although U2 have a massive back catalogue, they seem to take pride in moving onward and upward and stretching the boundaries of modern music. Otherwise its just a stonesesque revue, treading the boards every 5-6 years.
The new album needs to be good. And i mean very good, otherwise i'm afraid they could be on the steady decline, a la mick and co.
As we know, U2 albums seem to come in batches of three, of which NLOTH was the third, so hopefully!
Final rant is, why do U2 feel they can only play to the largest amount of people possible. Springsteen has been doing arenas constantly, as have other bands. Sure, some people will be disappointed not to get tickets, but Hey Ho.
Live shows and albums are what its all about. Without those, your just a cyberstar.

'We're going back to roots for new album' - Independent.ie

The only pressure to make music now is for ourselves in a sense that we don't want to let down the people who have given us this life.

Bono cares about you :heart:

I could never be disappointed with a band that gave me NLOTH, one of my all time favourite albums, so late in their career.

I like to get up every morning knowing they are still there and make music.

The only pressure to make music now is for ourselves in a sense that we don't want to let down the people who have given us this life.

One more piece of evidence that Bono reads interference. :sexywink: He attempts to balance the music for self/music for fans equation for us by making them the same thing!

A back-catalogue of great music, and you feel they owe you something? 37 years in a band, they owe you FUCK ALL. There is an album, they are making it as good as they feel they can. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Fucking hell, these entitled, prissy, whinging fucks that just want to trash the band without even hearing the new album amaze me. You know what, they have given us a shit-ton of great music, and if they want to take their time, at this age and enjoy their lives, they deserve it. It is absolutely frustrating that they seem to want to get music out quickly, and then go back on it, but that is their right. Jesus wept you people make me crazy. Grow the fuck up, wait like a normal person or find another band.

:up:

i think all that talk of disillusion basically comes down to whether you're a glass half-full or glass half-empty person (was also thinking that re. the polarised response to the Ordinary Love clip), i mean, man alive, life is just too short to get disillusioned about this kind of thing, i mean, REALLY :ohmy:

People who have a general tendency towards negativism and pessimism will get disillusioned or disappointed with EVERYTHING, no matter how short and long it may be.

I'm not one of them, I still enjoy life and U2 is an important part of it. The band has always been a positive and constructive force in my life and I don't see why I should be disillusioned by a band who has given us so many great moments.

Do you actually think about that when you wake up?

lmao! Brilliant.

As for getting disillusioned with U2, I don't take them seriously enough nowadays to get all disillusioned or disheartned by them. In my crazier days during the previous decade, I have gotten disappointed by them quite a bit. But now I just don't give a fuck. Everything they release is a bonus at this point.

lmao! Brilliant.

As for getting disillusioned with U2, I don't take them seriously enough nowadays to get all disillusioned or disheartned by them. In my crazier days during the previous decade, I have gotten disappointed by them quite a bit. But now I just don't give a fuck. Everything they release is a bonus at this point.
This is also how i feel. Maybe i should of used "Disappointed" rather than disillusioned. I would hate to see them releasing albums with no merit whatsover, just like the Stones have done since Tattoo You.
I would rather see them do something along the lines of Simple Minds 5x5 tour, or do full albums merged into a full concert as Springsteen has done.
There just seems to be a lack of creativity and imagination among U2.
If they want to just sit on their laurels and spend their money, then great. Its probably the same as i would do, but i've worked my backside off since leaving school in 1978 and still have very little to show for it.
If U2 want to thank their fans for "giving us a great life", then lets see the thanks.

They redeemed themselves quite a bit with NLOTH though.

Really, only Atomic Bomb was a mis-step in my mind. Even ATYCLB has a lot of merits (albeit not as strong overall compared to the albums that came before it) along with a fresh new direction at the time.

Don't feel disillusioned. Do accept reality though that their best is likely in the past. Pick your favourite album or DVD, put it on and enjoy.

Tonight I am watching the Irving Plaza concert from December 2000 and its just 4 people playing great songs in a small room. Can't be disillusioned with that.

This is also how i feel. Maybe i should of used "Disappointed" rather than disillusioned. I would hate to see them releasing albums with no merit whatsover, just like the Stones have done since Tattoo You. I would rather see them do something along the lines of Simple Minds 5x5 tour, or do full albums merged into a full concert as Springsteen has done. There just seems to be a lack of creativity and imagination among U2. If they want to just sit on their laurels and spend their money, then great. Its probably the same as i would do, but i've worked my backside off since leaving school in 1978 and still have very little to show for it. If U2 want to thank their fans for "giving us a great life", then lets see the thanks.
You are pretty wrong about the Stones here. Undercover (1983) is a great (and even "experimental) album for them. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge are good albums with some excellent songs. And Bridges to Babylon is great and kinda experimental for them too (Keith's closing number comes to mind). I'm thinking you don't really listen to the Stones, besides the greatest hits, and is only repeating the old cliches you heard. Maybe you even heard the Stones output after 81 and just don't like it. But to say "no merit", no no. Not right. I agree with the rest you say after the Stones bit.

I would rather see them do something along the lines of Simple Minds 5x5 tour, or do full albums merged into a full concert as Springsteen has done.
There just seems to be a lack of creativity and imagination among U2.
Just for clarification: do you see these two things mentioned above as "creative" or "imaginative"?

If not, who do you see as creative or imaginative these days?

If U2 want to thank their fans for "giving us a great life", then lets see the thanks.
Where is it that music fans get this entitlement mentality? Bands don't owe you anything, artists don't owe you anything, entertainers don't owe you anything. You didn't give them a wedding gift, they don't owe you a thank you card. They put out an album, and you presumably paid for it, they put on a show and you paid for it. That's the exchange that takes place, you didn't give them a gift.

Just for clarification: do you see these two things mentioned above as "creative" or "imaginative"?

If not, who do you see as creative or imaginative these days?

Where is it that music fans get this entitlement mentality? Bands don't owe you anything, artists don't owe you anything, entertainers don't owe you anything. You didn't give them a wedding gift, they don't owe you a thank you card. They put out an album, and you presumably paid for it, they put on a show and you paid for it. That's the exchange that takes place, you didn't give them a gift.
Its imaginative at the very least. It keeps the band/artist in the public eye and gives the fans big thank you.
How many fans on here have craved just to hear Acrobat alone. Imagine if U2 announced they were going to do a full sequential October or Zooropa.
The place would go mental. The ensuing maelstrom of activity might just up the proliferation of writing and producing instead of this vacuum that the band seem to withdraw to between albums.
Imagination breeding creativity.
I don't want or need anything from U2. I have enough going on in modern life to keep me busy and enough albums and boots to last me to the grave.
I just think they could be a little more prolific. IMHO the amount of time they spend on albums now seems to be doing more harm than good to the songs.
They had an albums worth back in 2011.

How many fans on here have craved just to hear Acrobat alone. Imagine if U2 announced they were going to do a full sequential October or Zooropa.
The place would go mental. The ensuing maelstrom of activity might just up the proliferation of writing and producing instead of this vacuum that the band seem to withdraw to between albums.

I'm sure some people would be happy, but there would be others saying "why are they reliving the past?", "why aren't they doing TUF or TJT?", or "this proves they ran out of new stuff to say" as well. It's never a one size fits all argument with set lists.

I just think they could be a little more prolific. IMHO the amount of time they spend on albums now seems to be doing more harm than good to the songs.

I don't think that anyone here argues with the prolific issue. Odds are that people would find at least some songs to like off anything they released. But in terms of owing us something, probably the only thing they really do owe us on is putting up a solid concert on their tours when we pay good money to go. As far as I know, they haven't had many royal screw-ups aside from a flubbed line or solo. No one's passed out drunk or forced them to end the show early, barring bad weather or something along those lines. If that's the case, then I'd say they're pretty much living up to the bargain. A few new studio songs wouldn't hurt, but what can you do?

You are pretty wrong about the Stones here. Undercover (1983) is a great (and even "experimental) album for them. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge are good albums with some excellent songs. And Bridges to Babylon is great and kinda experimental for them too (Keith's closing number comes to mind). I'm thinking you don't really listen to the Stones, besides the greatest hits, and is only repeating the old cliches you heard. Maybe you even heard the Stones output after 81 and just don't like it. But to say "no merit", no no. Not right. I agree with the rest you say after the Stones bit.

:up: The Stones get way, way too much shit. They're an easy target, especially by folks who have only a very casual acquaintance with their catalog. They are also in the top 3 live acts I've witnessed, and I've seen dozens. For a band approaching 70 to still have that energy, verve and commitment is truly mind-blowing.

Not anywhere in my OP did i say that U2 owed me anything. Don't twist my words to suit your reply.
No need for all the expletives either mate. Not big and not clever. I've been sworn at by 6'5 miners at the coal face, so keyboard warriors come way down on the "frightened of" list.

Back
Top Bottom