Disillusioned with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This happens I believe with every band that has reached massive stardom and they have lived enough to enjoy the super rock star status for a while. The Stones, U2, etc, they had all made huge contribution to rock music, and the truth, they became huge rock stars DECADES ago and people expect to continue delivering ground breaking record. But for these bands, their own past if their greatest enemy. If U2 pulled a second Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, fans will say they are rehashing the same old stuff. If the pull an experimental, ground breaking record, people will say they have lost it, without even resembling what they once were. This happens across all genres.

For example, Metallica, a band whose career is in my opnion very similar to U2's, despite being different genres. They became the greatest metal band in the 80's, in the early 90's they became more radio friendly and became one of the world's greatest stars, late 90's they became more experimental and the "hardcore fans" became disappointed. In the 2000's they tried to return to their roots, and Death Magnetic had some really great metal songs, but fans thought they were trying too hard to emulate their earlier success.

When a band becomes so big as those example, they will NEVER be able to reach the expectations set upon them, no matter whey they do, their fans will never be completely satisfied.

I doubt U2 lose much sleep over satisfying their core fanbase. They know we've stuck by them for long enough that we'll buy whatever they put out, and we'll stump up our cash to see them whenever they tour. The loyalty of U2 fans is really beyond question at this point. We're not all going to suddenly disappear if they decided to push the envelope and fell on their ass (in fact, a lot of us would laud them for making the attempt). What U2 probably do worry about is: whether they have the radio hits, whether they can ensnare young fans, whether they can be critical darlings with the Grammys shining on their mantlepiece, and whether their album can shift X number of units. The existing fans aren't a problem. U2's gargantuan expectations for themselves at a period in their career when their creative prowness is failing, is the root of their consternation IMHO.

Indeed.

They're up at night twisting their moustaches and trying to ensnare the pop kids with shiney pop hooks about hearts and souls and knees, and once in their clutches, Bono will force those pop kids and their parents to care about Africa. And then they'll get a Grammy!

Mu-ha-ha-ha!

(The cynicism amongst some fans is laughable)

He had a cute little fuzzy one for a while, remember?

larry-mullen-jr.jpg

I guess Adam and Edge must be the ones with all the nefarious plans, then. Larry and Bono have only thin, halfhearted ones. :D

They're up at night twisting their moustaches and trying to ensnare the pop kids with shiney pop hooks about hearts and souls and knees, and once in their clutches, Bono will force those pop kids and their parents to care about Africa. And then they'll get a Grammy!
This was funny.

Indeed.

Mu-ha-ha-ha!

(The cynicism amongst some fans is laughable)

Twirling moustaches aside, if you're suggesting that U2 aren't interested in acquiring hits, sales, awards and expanding their fanbase to a younger generation...well, maybe you haven't been paying enough attention to what tends to motivate this band.

Twirling moustaches aside, if you're suggesting that U2 aren't interested in acquiring hits, sales, awards and expanding their fanbase to a younger generation...well, maybe you haven't been paying enough attention to what tends to motivate this band.

Yeah. We're well aware of this. We're talking about U2. We've been fans for 30 years. Nothing new here. I've been hearing the same shit since 1987. Same old same old.

Irvine has left the building, but I do think he was being ironic, or rather saying, "yes, and who cares." I seem to recall having a conversation in the last new album thread when he and I came down on the same side of that issue: yes, they care about sales and no, that's not the end of the world. At least that's my recollection.

Irvine has left the building, but I do think he was being ironic, or rather saying, "yes, and who cares." I seem to recall having a conversation in the last new album thread when he and I came down on the same side of that issue: yes, they care about sales and no, that's not the end of the world. At least that's my recollection.

No doubt.

Cranks always get the most attention. It's also infinitely easier to write about what you hate than it is to write about what you love.

Back
Top Bottom